New
Find
Notify
Tools

dog
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Remember me telling about the hounddog I found up in the mountains about 5 years ago? I had dubbed her Lulu.

This morning a big hound showed up at our back door. Like Lulu this hound has the sweetest disposition. He seems to be a fairly young dog. He wears a new green collar, but there is no name tag on it.
He was thirsty so we gave him a bowl of water and some food. He has been hanging around here ever since.
By his confirmation I would hazard the opinion that he is a Fox Hound. Whether American or English I can't say. I measured him at 24" at the withers. He appears well fed.
A really nice dog. He follows me around the yard, but never strays more than a few yards away. I'm sure the poor boy is lost.

We had never seen him before today and have no idea where he might have come from. If he stays around here tonight I hope we can find his home tomorrow.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Probably got lost while running with the pack...I found a hound once under similar circumstances. Luckily the owner came through looking for him, and he got to go home.He was also a real sweetheart.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
He is still here. Nice looking hound. Neutered, and there is a long scar on his left foreleg that seems to indicate he has had some surgery. He came here clean, so I think that eliminates him coming across the creek through the mud. But, that leaves three other directions that he might have come from.
We have given him food and shelter while we maintain contact with the local animal shelter and also check for lost dog reports in the newspaper.
He is really laid back. He shows no interest in squirrels. I did get him to play a little, running around the yard with him. Mostly, though, he just lays around and sleeps.
He has stayed here on his own accord. We have not confined him in any way.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Over the years, I have had a couple of my Beagles get lost while out hunting rabbits.

In both cases I left my hunting vest at the site where I had parked my truck (hunt starting point).

Upon return a few hours later, the dogs were both there waiting for me laying on my vest!

Posts: 197 | Registered: 15 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I practically grew up with beagles, only switching to bird dogs in my 30's. I also lost a beagle one day in the fields. I left my coat there and came back early the next morning. The dog was there lying on my coat.

Well, this latest hound seems to have moved on. He stayed two days and nights with us, ate and rested. This morning I see no sign of him.
Maybe he will show up again. Just a wayfaring stranger.

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
When we still lived in Georgia we were in a rural area and people - if you can call them that - dumped dogs when they tired of them. We rescued several and nursed two back to health and kept them as part of our family. I sadly know, first hand, of a number of awful situations that didn't need to happen.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Yup, some "people" don't deserve dogs....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I feel more compassion for animals then I do for most people. That is why I could never volunteer at an animal shelter; if I see an abused animal I would be tempted to do the same to whoever is the abuser. I would soon be in jail.

I can't help but wonder where that hound is now. We had a severe thunderstorm yesterday. Was he caught out in it?
I think it would be interesting to put a radio collar on these wandering dogs and track their movements.