New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the best trail dog
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Just lost a very good friend yesterday, my four and a half year old English Springer! Heart failure, he'll be waiting on me!
-Tony

Posts: 349 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 14 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deercop
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that Tony. Always tough to lose a best friend.

Posts: 649 | Location: Clovis, New Mexico | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Tony, That's tough. A dog pulls at your heart the way no human can. Take care

I never have been much for drinking the kool-aid.It's not in my nature.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Tony, sorry to hear about losing your dog. It is not easy to lose a good friend.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
my dog with his old pack he looks real sad in this photo. had a limp in the morning from something and that night hes fine. this dog is a bearded collie cross i found out. real strong and agile and adapatable. before i got him cut he had really furred up for winter from being outside pretty much since i got him almost a year ago, pictures at a motel i had gotten a few months ago and in his pack was a squirrel i caught with a rat trap back in the one wood lot haha

Wild as the wind

mato

Posts: 404 | Location: Hittin the road | Registered: 10 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
and sorry to hear about your dog tony

Wild as the wind

Posts: 404 | Location: Hittin the road | Registered: 10 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deercop
posted Hide Post
Anyone read the article about squirrel-dogs in the March issue of Field & Stream? Revival of mountain curs,treeing feists,Kenner curs,treeing brindles..all early breeds common in the South and Midwest.
Really informative article..and ya gotta see the position 77 year old Mac English uses to shoot a squirrel out of a tree!

Posts: 649 | Location: Clovis, New Mexico | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I had very good luck with Labs on the trails horseback. I had a black one & his son that went everywhere with me. They could find water that I didn't know was there. They never wandered off too far from me. We covered many trails together over the years. They both lived very long lives. I have a yellow Lab now that seems to be just as good. I have to have big dogs because of the numerous coyotes in this country. They will kill a smaller dog in a heartbeat if they wander away from you. Also, bigger dogs are not affected by rattlesnake bites as much as small dogs. They swell up for 3-4 days & they're fine.

Posts: 302 | Location: Az. | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I think almost any dog can turn out to be a fine companion and trail partner. As said earlier, it's what you put into them. I like the hound breeds myself but I've seen some mutts that are just plain great. I've heard a little on the Mountain Curs too. I don't know much about them but it would be worth looking into. Best regards. Rockerhound

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I have a Blackmouth/Kemmer cross that I wouldn't take anything for.Caleb trees squirrels,watches my place,and is probably the best camping partner that i've ever had.He's not the best sqirrel dog in the world or anything,but he sure is valuable to me.
peavine

Posts: 30 | Location: in the great state of oklahoma | Registered: 01 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
What's the best trail dog? You might as well ask what's the best way to pick a wife! Come to think of it there are some similarities. That being said, I am a firm proponent of mixed-breeds (aka American Mongrel Dogs). You can find one at any animal shelter or pound near you, and they will love you unconditionally.

"Any day you wake up on the right side of the dirt is a good day"

Posts: 428 | Location: Northwestern California | Registered: 05 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post