MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Tall Tales    May Have gotten another one...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

May Have gotten another one...
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
A friend of mine was going to take a 14 year old youngster out plinking today and asked if I wanted to go along. It was snowing pretty good so I didn't expect to be there long. I just took one gun with me. We meet up at the range and My friend is helping the boy shoot. They shot a .22 pistol a bit then a .22 rifle. The last thing he showed the boy to shoot was a 20ga. 870.
When they were all finished I asked the young man if he had ever shot black powder. He said "no". I had him come over to my truck and I got out my TVM .54 EV. His eyes kind of lit up as he was looking at it. I explained to him how it works and showed him how it is loaded. I did the loading for him and had him step over to the firing line to give it a try. He was a bit nervous but when the rifle boomed and the smoke cleared there was no mistaking that grin on his face... Big Grin
He fired a few more shots and loved it. Well, I should have told him this BEFORE he shot. BP is addicting and I'm not responsible for it if he does get addicted! Best regards. Rockerhound

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Good for you Dog. That's great. I have had similar experiences at the range. Kids, and adults, watching me shoot one of my Flinters were just mezmorized by the whole proceedure. And when I ask if they want to try, they always gleefully say yes.

If is quite satisfying when you see their reaction after the shot...especially if they hit the target. Just makes me wonder why my kids never caught on. I have three boys that all hunt, but none have the BP addiction. Must come with maturity.

Thanks for sharing Rockerdog.

L8R...Ken

Posts: 403 | Location: In the Hardwoods of Eastern Iowa | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Similar story, took my Dad out to the local range last Fathers day. He had never shot BP before,but when he let loose with the first .50 cal he laughed like a little kid and you couldn't wipe the smile off his face. He's been "addicted" ever since. Great day!

Posts: 25 | Registered: 16 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I always invite anyone who shows an interest in my flinters to shoot them, when I'm at the range. But there seems to be a certain age group that lends itself to addiction. Look back and notice - I certainly can - what got you involved in bp and how old you were at the time. Turning a kid (anyone, actually) to the dark side is always a fine thing.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Taken anyone out shooting is a blast, there is nothing greater than a kid the look you get when they hit a balloon or ring a gong but when black powder errupt smoke and sometimes not hitting anything the look of Holy Moly WOW!!! says everything.

Posts: 17 | Registered: 03 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post