New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oh, Woe is me! Woe is me!!
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Wouldn't ya know? Here I move 2700 miles to tha south ov Alasky, hoping ta find thet fruitcakes is more plentiful at Christmas time 'n' I find thet I have landed plum inta middle ov ah bunch ov fruitcake eatin' cowboys 'n' ranchers what won't share nary ah crumb! Bumber!!

I heard thet the local trading post got in a supply ov fruitcakes yesterday morning and by tha time I got there, there wern't even a slipped label left!

'N' here I thunked thet 'Stick's 'n' I was tha onliest fruitcake eaters left alive inna whole world!

So......Iffen any ov ya thet get fruitcake fer Christmas 'n' ar apunderin' wha ta do withem, jest forward them on ta ol'Stick's 'n' me!! We know how ta take care ovem right pert!

Oh, 'n' I almost fergot......there aint even ah mincemeat pie to be had inna three county area!!

Keep an eye to the ridgeline......'n' A MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL !!

Regards, xfox & wolfwoman

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
Crossfox,,jus holed yer hoss a lil while,,my mother-in-law just rolled a package in here that looks mighty suspious,if it's what I think it to be,it's one of them rum favored spare wheels she is infamos fer.Ya might just git yer wish.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
One of my nieces sent me a fruitcake in the mail yesterday. She makes them every year. I'm not much of a fruitcake person but hers are very good. I think she must soak them in some kind of brandy or rum for a month.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Figger there'll be one in my great big sock after awhile. Might think about you when I'm gnawin' on it. With my odd sets of teeth it looks like where a rat's been . . .

Lissenin' to the kind those other feller's are getting pert-near breaks me out in the hives. Sigh . . . mine'll just have to come from the tradin' post. Even if Mrs' Sticks has to swap in a hide---mine!

Hope you get a big, fat, juicy one afore it's over.

Fiddlesticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I know the feelin' Xfox,I love the stuff,but I caint get anyone to send me any either....The last one I had ,I horded it 'till I had to use a hammer to knock off a hunk to gnaw on .....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Here is a recipe I have used on several occasions. Easy to prepare, and very tasty to finish off:

Kentucky Bourbon Pecan Cake

1 lb Butter
3 c Flour
9 Yes, 9 eggs separated
16 oz Glaced Cherries
4 c Chopped Pecans or Walnuts
2/3 ts Mace
3 c Sugar
1/3 c Bourbon, or liquor of preference etc.

Grease and flour four loaf pans 9 x 5 x 3 inches.

In a large mixing bowl, thoroughly beat the butter with 2 cups of sugar and the Mace until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the egg yolks. Stir in 2-3/4 cups of Flour alternately with the Bourbon. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup Flour over cherries and toss. Stir into cake batter with Pecans.

Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining 1 cup of Sugar. Continue beating until very stiff. Fold into cake batter and turn into prepared pans. Bake in 350 degree oven for 40-50 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.

Turn out on wire rack, right side up. Cool well.

Part Man, Part Critter
Born under the watch of the Great Spirit

Posts: 71 | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Making your own does seem more efficient than whining and crying.

Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Went to more than 10 stores this year before I found one to put under the tree...The only thing my wife always asks for each year...got to try making my own, thanks for the "rule"....gary

" You do with your scalp as you wish and don't be telling us what to with ours."

Posts: 158 | Location: lake champlain, vt | Registered: 03 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
This opus does not include home made fruitcakes but here goes your history lesson.

The fruitcake has it's origins in ancient Egypt, no kidding so far.
I believe they were used as ammo for catapults and were very effective. The fruitcake continued to evolve in old Europe where bad teeth prevented anyone from trying to eat them; so they were used as door stops and also carried as concealed weapons by the peasants.

The American Indians had a version early on but it failed when used as arrow heads. They did, however, serve well when made into tomahawks.

When Europeans invaded the new world the fruitcake was brought over with them. They served as ballast on the ships. Later when settlements were established the fruitcake was used for building barricades and walls around villages; these walls could easily stop arrows and cannon balls from small field artillery. they were used to build strong cabins and buildings. This was especially important in areas where "brick" clay didn't exist.

Moving on to the time of the War Between The States, They were used as projectiles when iron cannonballs were scarce. They made for strong bunkers and barriers that were difficult to assault. Many were brought home as war souvenirs. Often they were passed down through the generations as heirlooms. They made great reactive targets and were superior to metal ones due to their strength and resistance to rust. Lots of the old antebellum homes
owed their renewed existence to fruitcakes used in repair and reconstruction. During WWI & WWII the fruitcake industry ran full blast to bake enough to arm & support our troops; remember "Rosie the Riveter and Frances the Fruitcaker?

At present there are only 50 fruitcakes in existence, one for each state. The are gifted, passed around, resold so it appears that more commercial fruitcakes exist then there really are. Consider yourselves enlightened.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Never too old to learn, I guess. Thank's Hanshi.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Then, don't mess with somebody who can eat one of 'em and love it . . .

Haw! Haw! Haw!

Fruitcakelovin'Sticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Sound wisdom, 'Sticks.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Big Grin ROFLMAO!!!!!

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna try that recipe.......

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Hanshi, I thought they also used fruitcakes on the bottom of the space shuttle to keep it from burning up on re-entry into the atmosphere. So maybe NASA has cornered the market.
Dutch

Posts: 79 | Location: Yellville,Ar | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
That's one I didn't think of, Dutchman.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post