New
Find
Notify
Tools

Skunk cabagge el dente'
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
This evening reflecting back on the day outdoors and spring pop'n all around, I remembered a spring groundhog my youngest brother and I went on one spring. The field emptied into a wooded hollow thru which a small mountain stream ran. In the soft moist earth along the stream skunk cabagge grew. You know what I'm talking about. My brother stated that a fellow could eat skunk cabagge when it's young inthe spring. Are ya serious? Sure just dig it out, clean it and eat it like a green union. So I dig out a young sprout. Peel it. Wash it off in the stream. Looked really good. All nice and white. Just like store bought produce. So being the hog that I am I take a big bite. It was good. All of a sudden my mouth feels like I have a mouth full of straight pins. I was spit'n gag'n. Suck'n creek water try'n to get whatever it is out of my mouth. I thought I was going under, my brother thought he had killed me. The feeling subsided rather quickly. I was sure glad I hadn't swallowed any of it. To this day when that particular brother and I are outdoors I will point to some plant and tell him,you can eat that.

I never have been much for drinking the kool-aid.It's not in my nature.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I figger eating a green persimmon would've calmed it right down. 'Course you can't find them in the spring . . .

Tryin'tohelp'sticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
never done it but understand ya got to simmer the skunk cabbage a couple times in changes of water to get some sort a acid compound in it, out, if ya don't then ya end up having the reaction that you did, guess I'd have to be mighty hungry to find out LOL n I'm usually pretty game to try stuff but skunk well I just don't know hehehe

Posts: 964 | Location: south eastern Pa | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Well bird I've never been accused of being real bright. As to the boil part a few days later my brother said yeh,ya have to boil it and change the water a couple of times. I think I read somewhere you have to do that with acorns too. I have to ask 'sticks-- what would a green persimmon do?

I never have been much for drinking the kool-aid.It's not in my nature.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Sage Rider
posted Hide Post
The dried leaf also makes great tender....in my part of the world!!!

"Don't Retreat, just reload"

Posts: 411 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Wal 'Spring, a green persimmon tastes so awful you might've forgotten the cabbage.

Won a Dr. Pepper, once, by chewing up and swallowing a green persimmon.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Sticks I bow to the King, yer way more man then I am to do that, Just the pucker factor woulda stopped me cold after the first bite, YA DA MAN DUDE !!!!!rotflmao

Posts: 964 | Location: south eastern Pa | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bird'. I learnt one thing: when I eat a green persimmon NEVER chase it with a Dr. Pepper! Somehow they just don't go together . . .

Puckered'n'stomachache'sticks

P.S. A fella might be better off just sticking with that skunk cabbage.