Find
Notify
Tools

Empty powder cans
 Login/Join

Graybeard
posted
Hey there all.

Well, I'm packing up for a move across the state due to the wife landing a good new job. In my packing, I've come across a few empty Goex cans that I don't have a reason to keep around anymore. I've rinsed them out thoroughly with water and left the caps off, but don't want to just drop them in the recycling and scare the pants off the garbage man.

How do you all dispose of empty metal powder cans?

Posts: 207 | Location: The Folle Avoine | Registered: 19 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
This is probably not information that you can use.

We don't have to recycle here. However, I do sort out metals such as copper and aluminum, and also newspapers and magazines, and used motor oil, and haul it all to a recycling center every now and then.

I put all our regular cans and glass bottles in one large trash can, including empty black powder cans. About every two or three months I have enough junk accumalated to make it worthwhile to haul it all 12 miles to the local landfill. A half ton pickup truck load usually costs me about $7.50 to dump.
Anything that can be burned, I burn once a week.

It is nice living in a rural area where my neighbors do the same thing. I couldn't do this when I lived in a suburb of Detroit.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
About a year ago I bought 25 pounds of Goex powder in a heavy plastic bag and I've been saving my empties to refill when I open the bag. Before that I just threw them in the trash. After I used up the powder of course.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Some places will pay pittance for them, some clubs may take them also, where do you live, maybe someone could use them, if you are close to me I would take them.

Posts: 15 | Registered: 06 January 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
Since Goex is now packaging their powder in plastic cans with larger mouths, you might want to consider taking those empties to your next big shoot and put them out on your trade blanket. I've seen them go for $5 - $10. Shoot, I'd buy one from you. I have one old can that I fill from the plastic and that's what is in my shooting box. I was surprised after ordering my annual big box of powder from Powder, INC. last year and got the plastic. I called them and they said that that what Goex was now using and they said, 'Keep your cans because you won't see them any more except when someone is selling the empties". So far, they've been right.

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Dangit, I waited too long to ask. By the time I got you fella's replies, I had already stashed them in the trash. I have a couple more steel cans that aren't empty, now I know not to make that mistake again!
Thanks guys.

Posts: 207 | Location: The Folle Avoine | Registered: 19 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of AK Mike
posted Hide Post
I'm not throwing out any metal Goex cans. Was sort of in disbelief when I got the first plastic one. Just seems wrong. Eeker

Posts: 66 | Location: Big Lake, Alaska | Registered: 26 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post