New
Find
Notify
Tools

Miz Gabi
 Login/Join

Factor
posted
Well folks, just thought I’d fill y’all in about Gabi. She had a tough holiday season, but things are going better for her now. She got hospitalized with some kidney troubles and some heart troubles, and they told her at first that her heart was pumping below 17%, but that turns out was a bad assessment, and she is now told she is at 45% (normally folks at rest are at 60%). She needs some new kidneys as a result, but the dialysis is working fine, and her sister will be giving her a kidney in the Spring if all goes as planned. During the course of this she got an infection, which apparently settled in one of her big toes…, so it was giving the docs fits until they located it. So, she lost a big toe, but otherwise things aren’t nearly as dire as they sounded at first. She only recently contacted me, saying she wanted her personal situation known, and she would’ve said “hi” to everybody sooner, but she has been away from a computer for several months.

So the score is so far..., cancer survivor, diabetes surviving, staph infection survivor, cardiac patient recovering, and surviving kidney failure..., she is pretty tough! Big Grin

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
LD, Please keep us posted and relay our best wishes back to her. Shoot sharp, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
Ditto for me! Keep on keepin' on, Gabi!

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
She's too tough for anything to whip, sounds like.

Go girl, we're with you.

Fiddlesticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Stone and I wish her well.

Sparks and Mrs. Stone

"I thought when you said you chased tornadoes, it was just a metaphor."
--soon to be ex-fiance in Twister

Posts: 247 | Location: Boise | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deercop
posted Hide Post
Thanks for keeping us up to date Dave.
Hope we see her back on here soon.

Posts: 649 | Location: Clovis, New Mexico | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
all the best wishes. health problems aint no fun for sure. I was recently diagnosed with chronic kidney disease and was told dialysis was in my future.

a day in the woods with a flintlock refreshes a man's soul

Posts: 191 | Location: Battlefield,Missouri | Registered: 25 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
Blessings and health to you, Jim, and to Miz Gabi.

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
heck if a sawed off little runt like me can beat stage four cancer Ms Gabi ya tuff ol broad will be back fer certain. Hang in there girl we are ALL BEHIND YA!!!

Posts: 964 | Location: south eastern Pa | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Yes, please keep us posted.

Heck no, you'er the sort that gives that sort a bad name.
Trapper 54cal

Posts: 605 | Location: Los Alamos, New Mexico | Registered: 18 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Well I spoke to her today, and she thinks she might be home by Mid February. She is already planning on going to Ft Frederick Market Faire.

LD

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Johnny Reb
posted Hide Post
She is in my prayers, LD

"All tyranny needs to gain a foot hold is for People of good conscious to remain silent"
Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 110 | Registered: 20 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I have a lady friend like that. She's battling cancer and lupus and still teaching martial arts! Talk about courage! Here's to Ms Gabi and to her recovery WAY TO GO!

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Gabi called today and so far is planning on leaving the hospital as of March 1st. Big Grin Sometime after that is new-kidney-time.

LD

Factor
posted Hide Post
LD, Send her our best, for sure. Shoot sharp, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
LD,
Tell her we will gladly hear every word of encouraging news we get about her.

Meanwhile, prayers are directed that way.

Sparks

"I thought when you said you chased tornadoes, it was just a metaphor."
--soon to be ex-fiance in Twister

Posts: 247 | Location: Boise | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
OK now get this....,

She's in a rehab hospital as she lost a toe due to circulation problems...,

NOW they tell her they won't be putting back the pacemaker as she doesn't need it..., (I thought once you needed one you needed one)..., makes me wonder about her earlier doctor's diagnosis...

So this week she got a chance to do some "cooking" (all part of the physical rehab program) at the hospital..., so she makes peanut butter cookies with milk chocolate chips, eats one, and takes the rest of them back to her ward for the nurses at the station and anybody else whose diet allows 'em. I mean if I was in a rehab hospital, I don't know if I'd think about baking for other people..., Big Grin

LD

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Don't know Miz Gabi but will keep her in prayers. Been down some of that trail with the mrs..

I never have been much for drinking the kool-aid.It's not in my nature.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Dang. I last saw Gabi about a year ago (maybe longer. I don't know for sure.) I know she's been through a lot. She's such a nice person & always smiling.

Posts: 47 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 09 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Well the prayers are working, and she is due to go home next Wednesday. After that a new kidney, and she'll be good to go. Big Grin

LD