New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mike Nesbitt Bow
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Mike I know this isn't really the right place for bows,but since your write up in the May/June issue of Muzzleloader I wanted to say I enjoyed the write up on the Modoc bow. I am wondering as to the draw weight. I didn't see it in the article. I am not a traditionalist by any stretch compared to most here at the Fire, but I do believe that a REAL bow doesn't have training wheels.

I never have been much for drinking the kool-aid.It's not in my nature.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
DBS,
I have wanted to construct a bow from a stick of wood myself. I even bought the Bowyer's Bible vol. 1., and read the whole thing. I just never have come across the right piece of wood. I am not sure what wood to use here in México. I shall have to keep looking. I hope Mike gets on the Campfire and replies to you.
León

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Double, My bow has a draw weight of just 40 pounds. When you order a bow from Rudderbows you can specify within 5 pounds what pull weight you want. For me 40 pounds is simply a comfortable pull and yet still very effective. Let me just say, again, how very pleased I am with that bow. Since completing it, I've sold a couple of my other bows. Shoot sharp, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
There are a boatload of sites on the interwebs, that are dedicated to building, and shooting, traditional wood bows. They usually have someone on their forums, that are willing to part with staves. Board bows are fun to make too, I've made board bows from red oak, hickory, Ipe, and white ash, to name a few. Beware though, bow building can be very addictive.

It's not the first time, I've protected my hair, in just such a manner.

Posts: 44 | Location: Independence, MO. | Registered: 28 September 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply Mike. Vol there must be bow wood in Mexico. I would suppose bows were being built there long ago. Del I have thought many times of building a bow,but I think about screwing it up.But then again my rifle building isn't winning any awards either, LOL.

I never have been much for drinking the kool-aid.It's not in my nature.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
doublelong spring, give it a whirl, worst that can happen, is you break the bow. I probably broke ten, or more, before I finally got a bow. It happens, don't fret it. There are some excellent tutorials on you-tube, and other places on the web. Wood bows, are a blast to shoot, and like building MLs, if you mess it up, tear it apart, and start over again. Smiler

It's not the first time, I've protected my hair, in just such a manner.

Posts: 44 | Location: Independence, MO. | Registered: 28 September 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Double, Being a real beginner at bow building, I went with the "kit." No problems there. I did do a bit of shaping that they hadn't done, at least not to my satisfaction. That included rounding the ends of the bow plus rounding the curves just above and below the grip. I sure like what I've ended up with. And the Modoc from Rudderbows can be ordered up to 60 pounds just in case you like heavier "powder charges." Shoot sharp, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Newoodsrunner
posted Hide Post
Three Rivers Archery has bow kits good place to start

Posts: 461 | Location: SW Okla | Registered: 02 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Three Rivers stikes me as being a bit spendy. I got my Modoc U-finish from Rudderbows for just under $100 on sale. Shoot sharp, Mike

Factor
posted Hide Post
And, I just looked, Three Rivers does not show the Modoc on their website. Crow's Head Outfitters does have the Modoc by Rudder Bows, finished for $155.00. Apparently Rudder Bows no longer sells direct. Shoot sharp, Mike