New
Find
Notify
Tools

wild fires
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Boartooth - I see reports of bad wild fires all over the west, and some really bad ones in Oregon.
I hope you and yours are okay.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I'm afraid the "rocket pace" warming of the Globe is causing desertification in areas that are already prone to wildfire. This will exponentially increase the fire danger/destruction.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
What's really making it worse is that we have folks setting fires on purpose. There's no official word, but I've heard whispers that the authorities are looking for a guy in our area. We're still ok, but we've got smoke every day here. folks are nervous.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hi ya, fellas!

Realy dry here in the Bitterroot Valley, temps running in the high 90's or better, humidity in the teens. Right now USFS has the forest fire danger at Extreme, just waiting it to blowup. Having dry thunder bumpers in the evening, one caused a fire up near Lolo yesterday. Big fire (Trail Creek Fire) 20 miles west of Wisdom has hywy 43 closed (not to far from the Big Hole-Nez Perce Battlefield). Smoke coming in from Idaho and Oregon fires has the air quality in the unhealthy range, so spending afternoons inside to reduce health risks.

Did manage to get in 12 tons of hay over the last couple of days, picking and stacking in the barn in the evening. Most hay farmers are harvesting lower than normal yields, some as much as 40% less. Need to store at least 3 more tons, but we'll see what's available. And of course, some hay farmers are taking the advantage of the drought to jack their price per ton sky high. Luckily, I have a farmer that doesn't think that way.

Keep an eye to tha ridge lines......'n' the water hose handy......ifen ya got water!!

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I don't think most people appreciate the extent to which arson plays a role in fires in general. Long ago I worked for the forestry commission as RIC of a county office with firefighting equipment. In just a few years there we had dozens of arson fires, virtually every one of them in the wee hours of the morning. One December we responded to a string of, I don't know, maybe 20 set fires along miles of a state highway. And incredibly, my county office had an employee who was a serial arsonist! He was identified pretty quickly but this also put us in a sticky situation. I couldn't fire him because he'd likely burn the whole county to get revenge. We also couldn't keep him there because of the frequent nightime fires he kept setting. In discussions with my superiors it was decided to transfer him and into a position where he had no contct with firefighting. That did it for us and what a relief.

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
The first thing that comes to mind is; why couldn't you have him arrested? Arson is a major crime....Please explain?....Out here in the Arid West, if someone became known as an arsonist he'd have to flee for his life!

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Well, while we knew it was him given reports of his weird behavior at his previous stations and the nature of the fires, most called in by him in the sleepy am, it was still all circumstantial with no direct proof. Arson is notoriously difficult to prove in court. And even if he had been arrested he'd be out in hours and mad as hell. And these nut cases can burn a county down.

I had the feeling he'd been "dumped" on us by his previous ranger who didn't want to deal with him any longer. Since it was a transfer and not a hire, I had little to say about it; I never would have hired him anyway given the choice.

Factor
posted Hide Post
I see. I've noticed "authorities" are extremely cautious about giving confirmation to the public regarding fires that are obviously arson. It can't be because they're worried about what WE might do to these nut cases, or maybe they are. After all you can't have citizens thinking they have the right to protect what is theirs....

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Smoke from those western wildfires has reached the east coast.
I took a motorcycle ride yesterday and noticed a gray/brown haze hanging over the mountains - smoke from those western fires. I heard that over in Murphy, NC people were advised to stay indoors due to the smoke and breathing hazard.
A friend of mine has been on a fishing trip in Montana. I got an email from him this morning. He is heading home to Florida. He said the smoke from those fires was too bad and was causing him to have some breathing problems.
He also was outraged at the prices out there near Yellowstone Park - almost $4.00 a gallon for gas and $20. for a hamburger!

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Yup. $3.67/ga. here in eastern Oregon. $15.00 for a decent burger and fries. Welcome to the "new normal".
Sent from the Peoples Republic of Oregon.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Wow. Your gas is about a dollar more than it is here. And, your hamburger, fries, and a coke is about double what it is here!
And - I think it is too much here!!!

Factor
posted Hide Post
It IS too much!

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I got an email from my Dem. congressman. He stated that he managed to get millions of dollars for northeast PA to fix roads and bridges. I thanked him and explained that it doesn't matter to me since the pres. signed his executive orders cancelling pipeline and drilling for oil. At $3.25 a gallon for gas my suburban holds a little over 32 gallons I can't afford to fill it up. so You might as well give the money back!

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post