Find
Notify
Tools

Movie
 Login/Join

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted
Ms. Audrey and I just watched John Wayne in THE SEARCHERS, with Natale Wood and Vera Miles.
Such awful acting! I had to laugh at places.
Anyone with another opinion?
Hombre del Bosque

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deadeye
posted Hide Post
There's quite a few of his movies that aren't his best and the "Searchers" are at the top of that list. What's the one with Rock Hudson in it....that's a bad one too.

I do like "True Grit" & "Fort Apache" to name a few of his good ones.

This is just my opinion of course.

Posts: 1452 | Location: Good Ole USA of course! | Registered: 15 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Well The Searchers,Rio Bravo and True Grit are my favorites.
As for The Searchers, for bad acting ol'JW does a fine job when not telling of finding lucy's body.
But as they say, one man's junk is another man's treasure...
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
My favorite JW movie is THE SHOOTIST. I really want to find it on the bargain rack.
Hombre del Bosque

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
The Shootist is an excellent movie.
We have a extra copy, would you like it?
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
"The Shootist", "Hondo", "Stagecoach", and "Rio Bravo" are my favorite John Wayne movies. I never cared much for "The Searchers".
A real early one of his that I like was, I think, called "The Long Voyage Home". JW played a young Swedish merchant sailor in that one.
Having been a sailor myself, I tend to like nautical movies. The "Wake of the Red Witch" was another one of JW's movies that I like. That one copies a book by Joseph Conrad. Conrad is one of my favorite authors.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deadeye
posted Hide Post
I do like his war movies but a more period correct one would be the "Alamo" which is great and "Who Shot Liberty Valance" even if James Steward was the star JW and Lee Marvin were great in it!

Posts: 1452 | Location: Good Ole USA of course! | Registered: 15 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
"Who Shot Liberty Valance", "The Shootist", "True Grit" and "The Alamo" are among my favorites; heck, I've never seen one of Duke's movies I DIDN'T like. I have to say, though that there's something of richness and magic in The Man who Shot Liberty Valance, The Shootist and The Alamo. Those three are in a league of their own. Of course Clint's The Unforgiven and (not JW) Quigley Down Under are no. 1 and 2 followed by (not JW but...) Shane and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
i like the alamo

Posts: 70 | Location: hanover pa  | Registered: 21 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Newoodsrunner
posted Hide Post
don't forget theQuiet Man with moreen O'Hara flimmed in Ireland

Posts: 461 | Location: SW Okla | Registered: 02 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of AK Mike
posted Hide Post
I can't believe "Big Jake" isn't one of the top picks of his movies.

"North to Alaska" has to be in here somewhere.

Posts: 66 | Location: Big Lake, Alaska | Registered: 26 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I do like the Searchers, it's near the top of my JW favorites. And I especially like the parts played by Ward Bond and Hank Worden. "Thank you kindly..." Shoot sharp, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with you on this one, Mike. I found the story to be engrossing and that last scene has always stayed with me.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of AK Mike
posted Hide Post
His one movie that was not one of my favorites was "Brannigan". It was odd seeing him in a modern setting.

Posts: 66 | Location: Big Lake, Alaska | Registered: 26 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of AK Mike
posted Hide Post
Guess I'm going to have to put MCQ on my Netflix list now that it has popped into my mind now! Smiler

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Braningan, was that where he was a chicago cop who went to England? And the English chief kept trying to get his revolver?
Hombre del Bosque

BTW, Saturday we watched Jimmy Stewart in A BEND IN THE RIVER. Sure did kill a lot of people trying to get food to the settlement for the winter. Did any of those people ever think about hunting for food? It was interesting to see Harry Morgan in an early role, and a bad guy to boot.

pistuo deo lalo