muzzleloadermag.infopop.cc
Fire

This topic can be found at:
https://muzzleloadermag.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/712109401/m/5374051148

15 November 2016, 07:03 AM
Rancocas
Fire
The smoke hangs over the entire area like a fog. Some people and animals are having a difficult time breathing. Some are getting sick.

I hear there are 50 or more separate wildfires burning here in east Tennessee alone. Some neighborhoods have had to evacuate, but so far I have not heard of any houses burned.

Just below the state line, near here, in the Chattahooche National Forest of north Georgia I heard that 20,000 acres has burned, and that fire is still raging.
Even closer to my home are several fires in the Cherokee National Forest here in Tennessee. Many thousands of acres burned, and are still burning.
North Carolina has numerous forest fires burning. Alabama, too.

Volunteer fire fighters have come in from oher states to help, but manpower and resources are not enough to cope with all the many hotspots.

We are extremely dry. Here at my home I have not seen more than a slight drizzle of rain since July. We are currently about 20 inches below normal rainfall for this year. This the driest year on record for this area - ever!

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.
15 November 2016, 10:15 AM
Hanshi
I was once the county ranger down in Georgia, and a large part of my job was to run a fire suppression unit. At least half of all fires we had were deliberately set. I remember one December when we had some 15 different fires set one night; all, of course, arson. At one time I had a new employee who was an arsonist. We knew we couldn't simply fire him because he'd probably burn the entire county. The higher ups shuffled him off to an "arm pit" post and he eventually quit. He was very, very closely watched, too.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*
15 November 2016, 11:29 AM
bangfxr
I have worked alot of wildland fires while in Okla as a volunteer firefighter and dry times of the year were the worst and alot of them were a van full of teens and adults with fireworks. When I was in the active army about 400 of us were sent to work both the 88 Yellowstone and Little Big Horn fires what a mess alot of manpower and equipment but too many fires all over. Rancocas you be safe and keep a weathered eye towards the smoke and bug out when the fire dept, tell you to.

Families sleep peaceably in their beds at night as there are rough men about who will do violence in their behalf.
15 November 2016, 02:43 PM
Boartooth
Wow,talk about being in The Twilight Zone.....I'm used to living in a Fire Zone,and you guys Back East being flooded out...Not to rub it in,but we've had the wettest Fall in a VERY long time.Be very careful,guys,and listen to the Fire Dept.if they tell you to bug out....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin
19 November 2016, 06:34 AM
Rancocas
All around this area the wildfires continue to burn. Some days the smoke is bad and choking. Other days the wind blows the smoke another way and we get to breath freely for a while.

A big problem is that some yahoos are actually starting these fires. Arsonists!

Some of the fires are in very steep mountain terrain where it is very difficult for firefighters to get to them. Helicopters with huge buckets of water dipped from local lakes continue to quench the fires, but they are not having much effect.

Other fires are threatening homes and whole neighborhoods. So far, I have only heard of one house that has burned.

I also heard that the cost of fighting these fires is over $12 million so far, and still going up!

Here at my home we did get a light sprinkle of rain during the night, but it was barely enough to wet the ground. Now today the wind is expected to pick up and reach 15 to 20 knots. That is bad!

So far, at least, the nearest fire to me is about 10 miles away. But, I live in the woods and am surrounded by a mixed forest of oak, hickory, beech, maple, and pine.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.
19 November 2016, 03:21 PM
Boartooth
Oy,through dry fuels,10 miles is nothing.Watch yer 6.....Arsonists like fire,I say when they're caught,toss them into one....

21 November 2016, 09:20 AM
bangfxr
Firebugs like to hit in the most remote areas making it hard as heck for my brothers to get them out as there is no way brush trucks can get into some of those areas. Only way is packing in water in 5 gal, backpack sprayers. The other way if there are any small lakes or streams close to where they are assigned to work as they will have to pack in pumps, hoses, nozzles and fuel for the pumps. The other way is large amounts of airdrops of water or fire retardant with a lot of prayers for rain. There have been some firebugs that were so-called environmentalists who set fires to stop logging in areas but not thinking that they were doing more damage then the loggers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bangfxr,

Families sleep peaceably in their beds at night as there are rough men about who will do violence in their behalf.
01 December 2016, 10:31 AM
John Blozik
**** shame!! I have spent many enjoyable hours in that area. Had Thanksgiving in a field at Cades Cove just last year. I love to fly fish in those mountains. Hope they catch the bastards that intentionally started some of them!
02 December 2016, 07:49 AM
bangfxr
According to the news they have two in custody.

03 December 2016, 07:31 AM
Hank in WV
What a shame. That is one of my favorite riding areas in the whole country. I try to get down there at least once a year.
03 December 2016, 06:21 PM
Rancocas
Gatlinburg is a mess. It will take some time for them to rebuild. The last I heard was that the death toll stood at 13, but dozens were still missing. Gatlinburg is about 70 or 80 miles north of me.

Here, we had a series of violent thunderstorms roll over us early last week. We got 4 to 5 inches of rain, but also a couple of tornadoes. One tornado touched down less than 2 miles from my house. At about 2 AM the loud freight train-like roar of it woke me up, but it passed quickly before I even got to wake up my wife. Electric power was out all of the next day so the only news I received came from neighbors who ventured out of our area. I heard that two people were killed by that close tornado and more were injured.

Now, tonight, it is raining again. It is a nice, gentle rain this time. I think that most, if not all, of the fires in this area are now out.

03 December 2016, 06:59 PM
Boartooth
Thank god for the rain.....Now you know why us westerners are paranoid about fire....Every summer is a drought....

06 December 2016, 09:13 AM
bangfxr
I know what you mean. I was with the Okla, Fire Service for 10 years over by Ft Sill, OK. Saw some real nasty fires between 2000 and 2006 it was awful dry from April to Nov those years. 1 around the town of Duncan was caused by teens with fireworks in a mini van. Lot of property damage, scattered livestock as we just cut fences or pulled fences down so they could get away from the flames and it got close to an oil storage plant and refinery. Long hours and short sleep.