New
Find
Notify
Tools

In closing...
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Well, all the Tennessee big game hunting seasons came to an end yesterday with the closing of the final deer season.

No deer for me. I had plenty of opportunities to take a doe, but I let them walk past while I held out for a buck.

My trail camera showed me three different bucks in my neighborhood, but none of them ever showed itself to me in daylight. Very quickly after the season opened they all went nocturnal.
As for bear and feral pigs, I never saw one of them in daylight either.

I recently set my trail cam in a spot far back in the mountains where I had seen both deer and pig sign in the past. I left it there for three days and nights, but when I retrieved it, the only picture on it was me.

I've since set the camera in my back yard to watch over my deer feeder. (The deer are safe in my back yard). Last night we had seven does out there. But, where are the bucks?

Well, for the rest of January I plan to jump-shoot ducks. February and March I hope to do some predator hunting. I will probably start fishing in February or March also. April and half of May is turkey season.

Okay guys, get with it - tell us your tales of success and woe.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
I did not hunt this fall at all, but did get my turkey permit for spring 2020, so I plan on trying to find out were they are and bring one home. That will be the end of April in to May. I will use my 20gauage flint. Mark

Posts: 164 | Location: Burlington, Wisconsin | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I got out only once but plan on more outings this fall. Might even try my hand at spring gobblers. Got skunked again on deer. Oh, but next time...

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
I have always been a meat hunter when it comes to white tails. Over the last few years, my taste buds have taken some kind of change that I cannot explain. Beef just doesn't seem the same anymore.

This season here in the Michigan backwoods I took a large doe hunting on my 6 acre homestead. My place is surrounded by Amish farms where the deer survive a lot off the fields of their hard work.

Shot her with a 45 caliber flintlock Bucks County PA rifle I built several years ago. I have a few other rifles that are deer worthy but my Bucks gun has lived up to her name on so many occasions, it is hard to grab for anything else.

I have found the venison to be very tender, juicy, and not gamey at all. I built a permanent ground blind on the hill within a short walk from my backdoor. Just because I'm getting old doesn't mean I have to give up on the things I love to do! I may have a day or two limping around and having to take it easy after a successful hunt, but the price I pay is still worth the effort!

Posts: 197 | Registered: 15 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
but the price I pay is still worth the effort!

I couldn't agree with you more.
I've taken plenty of does in the past. But this last season I just decided to take a buck or nothing.
It is just me and my wife here now, and she might nibble a little venison now and then, but she is not a big fan. So, it is mostly just me eating it.
I hunt out of brushed-up ground blinds. I'm too unsteady now days to risk climbing trees.
My number one big game rifle is a .50 percussion Lancaster styled long rifle that I built myself back in 1998. I've taken more than a few deer with it over the years.
As a backup I use a .62 flintlock smoothbore that I have taken one doe with, so far.
I haven't used a modern rifle in about 25 years.
When I lived in Michigan I hunted quite a lot around Cadillac, Houghton Lake, and in the western part of the U.P.

This morning I went out on some private property to hunt wild pigs. The owner has complained to me about the damage the hogs were doing to her horse pasture. A heavy rain last night washed out all the sign. I saw some fresh deer tracks, but no fresh sign of pigs.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I'm a great fan of the .45 and have relied on it for deer hunting for a long time. I haven't eaten red (farm animals) meat in many years and have a plant based diet. Other than occasional fish, fair chase game would be the only red meat I'd touch. Love venison!

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Cranbrook: you mentioned being surrounded by the Amish.
Some years ago I used to hunt a 300 acre farm in Kentucky. Neighbors there were also Amish. I had noticed a wooden platform up in a tree on the property line. One early morning at dawn as I walked in I passed under that tree stand and sitting up there were two Amish women! Bonnets and long dark blue dresses, and a Winchester model 94 in the hands of one of the women.
I thought that was pretty cool.
I loved that place, but unfortunately a death in the family resulted in the farm changing hands, and I could no longer hunt there.

Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Yes, Rancocas. A place you also mentioned hunting near Cadillac Michigan is where I live and hunt! About 10 miles north of Cadillac near the little town of Manton. The area is mostly Amish owned farmland with lots of wooded rolling hills.

I have actually sold a couple of flintlock muzzle loaders to Amish folks. I enjoy seeing lots of horse drawn carriages and buggies passing by my place. Makes me feel like I have gone back in time!

Posts: 197 | Registered: 15 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I did most of my hunting in the Cadillac area out to the west of town, near Caberfae ski resort. Found a bunch of morel mushrooms there, too, during spring turkey hunts.

We have a relatively small Mennonite community here in my area of TN. I sometimes go to their farm produce store. Good stuff! I frequently see them out in their horse drawn buggies whenever I go up that way.
Although I don't agree with their religious practices, I do admire their lifestyle.