Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of Idaho Mountainneer
posted
Here's a trailer for the new movie "The Revenant", the one supposed to be about Hugh Glass.
Click Here
So what do you think fellers.

Posts: 330 | Location: Twin Falls ID | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Looks a little over dramatic for my taste. And I hate movies done in such dark settings.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Seems a little over dramatic for my taste. I don't like when they make the movie so dark.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of JoeM
posted Hide Post
I'll watch it before I draw a conclusion. I do detect (from the preview) some overtones of "modern Hollywood" firearm usage which is the norm for those that haven't a clue when using what we term "primitive" weapons as props. Just my take at this point.

Ohio Joe / Chadron Fur Trade Days

Posts: 69 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 05 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Did I see a flatboat there, I think I'll go along for the ride on this one.

Over-the-log shooting, the second most fun you can have laying down.

Posts: 64 | Location: Volunteer State | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
Well, looks like sort of a darker version(of a different mountain man) of the Jeremiah Johnson movie from the 70's. Looks like it might have some updated scenes from a TV movie from about that time too. Can't remember the name but I think the guy to made Man Called Horse starred in that one too. (about a hunter mauled by a bear, then abandoned by his group). I'd try it if it comes to the library or I can find a used copy cheap.

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Leo DeCaprio as Hugh Glass??!.....I think I'll pass...

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of JoeM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MountainRanger:
Well, looks like sort of a darker version(of a different mountain man) of the Jeremiah Johnson movie from the 70's. Looks like it might have some updated scenes from a TV movie from about that time too. Can't remember the name but I think the guy to made Man Called Horse starred in that one too. (about a hunter mauled by a bear, then abandoned by his group). I'd try it if it comes to the library or I can find a used copy cheap.

Man In The Wilderness is the name of the movie you're thinking of. Loosely based on Hugh Glass with Richard Harris playing the part of Sam Bass. I actually enjoyed that movie.

Posts: 69 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 05 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
yeah, Man in the Wilderness... I enjoyed it also.
I also watched a trailer for the Alone, But Not Alone movie and while it looks pretty authentic, the voice over sounds like something out of the Baptist Student Union or my local pastor hollering from the pulpit or something (not saying that's bad, but I don't watch movies for reinforcement of my faith). Gotta think about that one.

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Willis Creek
posted Hide Post
Clay Landry was technical advisor for The Revenant. Leo is a good fit - the right age, Glass was well used but not old. Any movie made about this era and fur trapping is well worth supporting.

"touch not the cat without a glove"
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Posts: 143 | Location: South of the Arkansas, on the slopes of St. Charles Peak, Colorado territory | Registered: 25 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Willis Creek
posted Hide Post
Oh, and the movie was filmed in natural lighting - adds authenticity and a sense of realism.

"touch not the cat without a glove"
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Posts: 143 | Location: South of the Arkansas, on the slopes of St. Charles Peak, Colorado territory | Registered: 25 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
It's gonna take me awhile to get my mind around Leo actually doing a serious dramatic role.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
So here's my hope for it.
We can't as of yet give our full opinion on it since it hasn't come out. I do admit I have my doubts about it by what the trailer shows but maybe, just maybe, this will give interest to another generation concerning the muzzle loading era of our country.
May I be so bold as to ask how many of you were inspired to follow this path by watching "Jeremiah Johnson"? Don't get me wrong, that is my all time favorite movie, but as is typical of hollywood, full of historic errors.
I think the point here might be that this movie may not do it for me, but it could spark interest to some one else and take them on a new journey into exploring the real history of men such as Hugh Glass.
We never should go to the movies to learn accurate history, we should always go to the original sources.

Posts: 330 | Location: Twin Falls ID | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
P.S.
Real history is much more exciting than any fictional tale to me.

Here's to hoping that "The Revenant" will help others into our circle.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
What inspired me? Maybe Davy Crocket but inheriting a couple of my grandpa's muzzleloader really did the deed. While I was in college, I started reading Muzzleloader and that sank the hook. In 1980, I attended my first rendezvous with my Sharon 54 Hawken rifle and became a terminaly incurable case.

load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
As the affliction became worse, I started hunting with muzzleloaders in 1986 and haven't used a modern rifle since. In 1991, I purchased my primitive tent and my family started attending rondy's with me. The affliction got worse and worse, We were attending 3 and 4 rondy's a year and I continued to sink lower and lower. By 1991 I started shooting flintlocks and in 2005, put my hunting caplock away and started hunting with a flintlock.

As this affliction has slowly overcome my body, I had to have more black powder guns. This is a chronic disorder that has affected my whole family. Each one of us now had a rifle and pistol. I've also been found in the woods hunting grouse with a Tradegun. After my last acute attack brought on by the chronic affliction, I found that I had purchased a rifle for my sons "soon to be".

I've come to the realization that black powder smoke is a drug and when inhaled, affects the whole body. There has to be something in the smoke that affects the brain and the victim slowly falls victim to this as yet, non identified affliction. All the while, the victim sinks lower and lower to the chronic condition. As far as I know, there isn't a cure but I believe the wives as caregivers are starting to organize and looking for ways to at least lessen the impact on the family if not find a complete cure.

One of the things that is inhibiting finding a cure is that much like the drug addictions, the victim has to want to be cured and in most cases, the victim doesn't want to be cured. This is why I've deemed it an incurable terminal affliction.

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of JoeM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Revenant
could inspire some new blood, it's always a possibility. From what I understand, no one has the full "real" story of Hugh Glass' life, but I doubt we have the true story of a lot of these guys that become the subject of any movie ever made.

I hope it does well at the box office and after sales. If it does it could mean Hollywood would follow up with other time period events put on the big screen.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Let's hope this new movie is a really huge hit, inspiring a lot of new shooters to try muzzleloading. After all, we do need the help. Shoot sharp, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
Yes, let's hope that it IS a huge hit! I look forward to watching it. However, I will view it just as I do all of the movies from Hollyweard. Jeremiah Johnson, The Mountain Men, Last of the Mohicans, Man In The Wilderness, they are all Hollywood movies with many errors but I love to watch them over and over. Just don't ever watch a movie called Hawken's Breed with Peter Fonda. My wife and I rented that one back in the '90s and immediately dubbed it THE WORST MOVIE EVER! And I haven't changed my mind on that to this day!
And White Finger you are a hopeless case! You sir have a most definitely terminal illness! Just know that you ain't alone Brother!

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"

Posts: 186 | Location: Turkey Creek on Cimarron Drainage | Registered: 10 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I went and saw it today, it was well worth it.
There was a really big crowd in the theater, way more than I would have thought to see a mountain man movie.

Over-the-log shooting, the second most fun you can have laying down.

Posts: 64 | Location: Volunteer State | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post