Find
Notify
Tools

What's the latest read?
 Login/Join

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Undaunted Courage Is a great and informative book; I loved it.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
Bob's Blackpowder Notebook

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
I like to read at Bob's Blackpowder Notebook. Mark

Posts: 164 | Location: Burlington, Wisconsin | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
"Hunting Life Stories from 5 decades of hunting, trapping & fishing" by E. N. Woodcock

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Archie
posted Hide Post
freakonomics

Posts: 100 | Location: Minn | Registered: 13 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
WAR ON THE RUN and THE JOURNAL OF RUDOPLH FREDERICH KURTZ came by Santa express .
War on the Run is about Robert Rogers and his Rangers. Frederich Kurtz was a Swiss artist who hung out around Ft. Union and the upper Missouri from 1846-1852, writing and drawing what he saw and who he met. The journal has a number of his drawings as well.
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
" On The Wild Edge ". By David Petersen

~Tony

Posts: 349 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 14 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deercop
posted Hide Post
Christmas present from my wife..

"Whale Hunter" by Nelson Cole Haley.
Mr. Haley was a harpooner on the whaler Charles W. Morgan on it's 1849-53 cruise from New Bedford to the South Pacific.
Very interesting book, well written, hard to put down.
What's neat is that the Charles W. Morgan is now a museum ship at Mystic Seaport,CT.

Posts: 649 | Location: Clovis, New Mexico | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
"Fox Trapping." A. R. Harding
"Thirty-One years on the Plains and in the Mountains Or, the last Voice from the Plains . . ." William F. Drannen
"A Brief Account of the Rise and Progress of the People Called Quakers" by William Penn (Blame Mark Sage for this last one; but it's really good!)

Fiddlesticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
Sounds like everybody's reading some good literature.

Have any of you read "Endurance" by Alfred Lansing? It's the story of Sir Ernest Shackleton and his Imperial Trans-Antartic Expedition, the disaster that befell it, and their struggle to make it back to civilization. An absolutely gripping read.

"Return unto me, and I will return unto you," saith the Lord of hosts.
~Malachi 3:7b

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I understand there are no Middle English versions of Beowulf.
Sparks

"I thought when you said you chased tornadoes, it was just a metaphor."
--soon to be ex-fiance in Twister

Posts: 247 | Location: Boise | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Josh....see if you can find a copy of SOUTH by Sir Ernest Shackleton. It is a copy of his journal.
If I had to go with someone on an epic voyage it would have been him.....no one died on Shackleton.
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I just finished reading "The Second Thanksgiving". It covers the period of 1621-1623 in the colonies south of Massachusetts. Very excellent historical fiction.
Currently reading "Treasure Train". Covers the end of the CW in Georiga. Not quite historical fiction but close. Well written and highly informative historical perspective on events surrounding the end of the war.
Both are free from Kindle books. That's a bonus.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deercop:
Christmas present from my wife..

"Whale Hunter" by Nelson Cole Haley.
Mr. Haley was a harpooner on the whaler Charles W. Morgan on it's 1849-53 cruise from New Bedford to the South Pacific.
Very interesting book, well written, hard to put down.
What's neat is that the Charles W. Morgan is now a museum ship at Mystic Seaport,CT.
That sounds like a very good book. I'm more of a science fiction fan myself, The Honor Harrington series by David Weber is very good JMHO.

Posts: 5 | Location: South of Mobile,Ala | Registered: 14 July 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Willis Creek
posted Hide Post
I just finished Resolute, by Martin W. Sandler. It is about the search for the Northwest Passage, and the search for Sir John Franklin, his missing ship snd crew. Great piece of information regarding a gift from Her Britainic Majesty to the United States. Great book!

"touch not the cat without a glove"
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Posts: 143 | Location: South of the Arkansas, on the slopes of St. Charles Peak, Colorado territory | Registered: 25 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Just finished my third re-read of Ekerts: That Dark and Bloody River, and Brumwell's: White Devil, about Maj. Robert Rogers.

" You do with your scalp as you wish and don't be telling us what to with ours."

Posts: 158 | Location: lake champlain, vt | Registered: 03 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Right now I am reading Mark Twain's roughing it. I realize this is mid ninteenth century, but is still interesting. The were carrying cap and ball revolvers on a stagecoach ride to Nevada Territory, and one guy carried a pepperbox.
León

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
I've started reading War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy. It's quite a daunting book, but I'll get through it. Other books on my "to read" list are Les Miserables, The Count of Monte Cristo, and Moby Dick.

Oh, by the way, the book, The Crisis, by the American author Winston Churchill that I mentioned earlier is very good. I'd advice that one to anybody I talk to.

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Sticks,
For awhile historians thought William F. Drannon, author of that book, was blowing smoke/spinning yarns and otherwise full of hot air. But there is one episode in the book where evidence turned up later that proved he was present...that being the rescue of the pre-teen girl from her capturers. I used to have a very early copy of that book...until my dog developed a taste for old literature.

Sparks

"I thought when you said you chased tornadoes, it was just a metaphor."
--soon to be ex-fiance in Twister

Posts: 247 | Location: Boise | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
Bummer, man! I hope your dog learned something from it though! Big Grin