New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you if you could?
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Deadeye I grew up in NJ right across the river from NYC. When I was 8 years old my father use to take me over to my uncles in Astoria, which is on the other side of NYC. My uncle, father ,cousin and me would pile into the car and drive to the "Old Man's Place". A farm just outside the city limits, where we would go hunting. By the time I was in my mid 20's Long Island was paved over. My advice is DON'T GO.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deadeye
posted Hide Post
Hi Bud, I did a Google search of Long Island and noticed just what you said.....paved over from one end to the other. I thought that was really sad, there's no place on that island where you can't see some house or sign of civilization right next to you....so much for peace and quiet!
So far it seems to be nothing like what I would have hoped. I'm still looking for a job around here but that's getting tougher everyday. I won't give up but this sure tests a persons faith!

Posts: 1452 | Location: Good Ole USA of course! | Registered: 15 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Hi Deadeye; Once you consider the cost of living, you might be better off with a low paying job out west than having a good paying job on Long Island. And that's from someone from Boston! Best of luck to you; Mike

"Leave the gun, take the canoli"

Posts: 136 | Location: Billerica, Massa2shits | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deadeye
posted Hide Post
Leave the gun... Eeker You've got to be kiddin, I did check and see how many indoor & outdoor shooting ranges there are on Long Island. Several indoor places near enough to where I would work and two outdoor ranges that'll let me shoot my Long Rifles but just further away.

I did find out some of the wages they pay and it's not enough if you ask me....if I was living here in KS sure but NY no way close. The Project Manager only gets around $80K so I would get a lot less. It's not looking to favorable.

Can I use a Canoli for a target? Razzer

Posts: 1452 | Location: Good Ole USA of course! | Registered: 15 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Just another thought Deadeye. I'm a little bit paraniod. But if and when it all goes down the tubes where do ya wanna be? Someplace where ya got a dollar and have to depend on the outside for everything or maybe not so much money and still have a fighting chance? Just asking.

I never have been much for drinking the kool-aid.It's not in my nature.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Deadeye; That tag line is just my favorite line from the Godfather. I'm not recommending you leave your guns if you move. There are still places to shoot on L.I. The point I was trying to make was L.I. is expensive. Real estate taxes, according to friends that live there are twice what I'm paying in Mass. And let's just say that I'm getting gaffed! So, more money on L.I. might not add up to a better standard of living than a mediocre paycheck in KS. But they do have good canoli. Best of luck; Mike

"Leave the gun, take the canoli"

Posts: 136 | Location: Billerica, Massa2shits | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deadeye
posted Hide Post
Well I found out yesterday evening that the company is moving to Wichita sooner then expected so the possibility of going to L.I. is slim now....that's the good news.
The bad news is they still haven't decided on when this is all going to happen....corporate wheels turn slow, so I'm counting this as a big "what if" which means, I'm back to square one. This sucks!

I know there's shooting ranges on L.I. Mike, that was the first thing I checked out. There's more there then here in the Wichita area!

Where would I want to be if it all went down the tubes? That's easy....the mountains, I've always felt at peace there. Upper AZ is good, Pines an Aspens as far as you could see with a carpet of pine needles and I didn't see any poison oak/Ivy there! Big Grin

Booshway
Picture of Tuscarora
posted Hide Post
Montana would be my first choice, but you could also do well in eastern Washington, Oregon, Idaho, northern Nevada, Utah - anywhere in the Great Basin. Then, of course, there are Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona. Go West, young man!

Tuscarora

Posts: 352 | Location: Nueva Helvetia en Alta California | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deadeye
posted Hide Post
Hey Guys, I finally managed to get a job and wasn't even trying! I drove by a place called Graphic Systems while hunting down other jobs and decided to apply....they called me two hours later and I had a interview the next morning and got it!
I'll be making business placards which are for hotels, hospitals and businesses....just my kind of work. Of course I have to go through a temp service for 90 days before they hire on for good but the owner was impressed with my resume and didn't see any reason why he shouldn't hire me then.

Guess that means I'm sticking around here where all the family and relatives are.....I'll get to the mountains some day.

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
¡Congratulations, Deadeye!
When you get settled in and have it available take a vacation to the mountains.
León

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deadeye
posted Hide Post
Thank you Leon, It just took me almost 1 1/2 years to finally get a job. Now I have to wait for the start up date.... Smiler

I still can't believe how tough the job market is, what makes this really bad is that this depressed economy didn't have to happen.

Factor
posted Hide Post
There is something to be said for staying put when things get tough. For all the pics you see of Dust Bowl migrants hitting California, there were lots who stayed in the dust and are still there...probably doing as well as those who went to CA.

Part of the advantage, as you mentioned, is being around your already-established support network..."family and relatives." You also know whose land you can hunt on...where the crappies are big and hungry in the spring...and who to talk with about having some custom work or repair done. It's a looooonnnng way from Helena MT to Whitewater KS for Ford Fairlane parts. There are probably some between Helena and Whitewater, too...but you know where the ones are in Whitewater...and whether the guy will give you a good deal or not.

I've moved around a lot most of my life, and there are good things about moving, starting fresh and clean. Matter of fact, I did that myself when I retired. Retired in Utah and moved back to a house I bought and lived in for three years in Idaho. I had it rented out for 8 years until I retired.

Congratulations on settling in!

Sparks

"I thought when you said you chased tornadoes, it was just a metaphor."
--soon to be ex-fiance in Twister

Posts: 247 | Location: Boise | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post