Find
Notify
Tools

Made The Move!!
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Hiya Fellas!

The Great Move from Alaska to Montana has been accomplished. We departed Alaska the 29th of June and pulled into our new home the 7th of July--right in the middle of a Heatwave of 90+ degree days!

This here old Alasky boy sweats at 40F, so I looked like the Falls of Niagara with any exertion!

We've managed to get most of our plunder unpacked and put away. Been busy putting in a horse yard (fenced two acres for'em) and getting 6 tons of hay stored (they practically give hay away here!). And falling some of the bark beetle killed pines, bucking them up and put away in the woodshed.

The older log cabin and 5 acres is starting to feel like home. See whitetails everyday and had a bunch of turkeys pass through too.

Haven't found any blackpowder shooters her in the Bitterroot Valley, yet, but I'm sure there are some around.

Will post some new chapters to the story soon (can't keep Josiah hunkered down behind them logs fer ever).

Keep an eye to the ridgeline......'n' yer topknot cool!

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the move. If you want hot and humid come on down to Alabama ......Smiler

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Welcome to The Lower 48!

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
There's plenty of shooting in the Bitterroots. To find some of it just contact www.northstarwest.com/. He'll give you some good leads. Shoot sharp, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Crossfox, nice move. I have been here thirty years. Best wishes. Halpine.

Posts: 51 | Location: kalispell montana | Registered: 23 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
If he's moved into the Bitterroot area,he's just around the corner from you,Flatheader....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Aye. I wonder how many on this forum are in Montana. Got Larry a little south of here.
Hey guys, if you are in Montana, especially within driving of the Flathead, let me know and I would be happy to take anybody on a fishing float. I retired from river guiding, and allways have a shortage of buddies to go. I end up going solo often. Got a raft with fishing frame, that seats two plus me. Gotta turn in now because tomorrow is another fishing day on the river... hoppers are killin them. Crossfox, and larryp give it some thought. Happy summer!

Posts: 51 | Location: kalispell montana | Registered: 23 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Very active muzzleloader group in the flathead. Also a 4 H muzzleloader group there. Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders rendezvous at Marion in May is one of my favorites. Excellent rendezvous at Alberton over Memorial day. Matt and Robin put out a lot of effort on that one and the booshway is Mike Tomel. He does a fantastic job. You won't have to look too far for good black powder shooters in western Montana.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Hmm when my work schedule settles down (when ever that will be!) we just might have to get together! Might be a good idea to get together for a fall gathering too.

Posts: 214 | Location: Big Arm Montana | Registered: 17 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
You guys that already live there should go to the Flathead Valley Muzzleloader's fall shoot that they usually have in September.

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
The Flathead Valley Muzzloaders is a great group. They have monthly meetings, and two rendevous a year. But the coolest thing is they have a walking course , with metal targets, on the shores of Flathead river. I pay dues to them but hardly ever get to the events. Now retired I will really try to be more active. I hear a couple of the guys, are into historical trekking.
Aye larrp, got a month and a half to fishing time, and then back to hunting season Smiler
Today was so fishy. Cutbows, lake trout, and small cuts. A fine day on the water.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hiya Fellas,

Yep, this move was a big one for me after having spent 48 years 2 months 21 days and 16 hours in Alaska. Guess I'll miss moose hunting this year as it starts Aug 20th!

Anyway, thanks for the gretings and info on where/who to find some like minded BP shooters. I keep hearing rumors of some shooters here in the Bitterroot, jest ain't run'em ta ground yet.

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Do you have any contact info on the Flathead Valley Muzzle loaders group? Sounds like it might be worth joining!

Posts: 214 | Location: Big Arm Montana | Registered: 17 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Sure, Don Weber is the president of FVML, phone is 406-752-5190.
I don't know the current email address, but Don will all ways have the info. Good source for parts as well.

Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Thanks!!

Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Hope you enjoy Montana, have relatives in Bonner, and hunted there sucessfully a couple times....looking forward for the new chapters....Gary

" You do with your scalp as you wish and don't be telling us what to with ours."

Posts: 158 | Location: lake champlain, vt | Registered: 03 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scoundrel:
Excellent rendezvous at Alberton over Memorial day. Matt and Robin put out a lot of effort on that one and the booshway is Mike Tomel.

Didn't know about this rendezvous. Not too far away. I'll have to try to make it next year.

I have only met one guy who shoots black powder in this area. I'm sure there are more but I have yet to run across them. We recently lost our only local source of powder in the area.

Almost forgot, welcome to Montana Crossfox!

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Posts: 212 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
If you're coming from Missoula take the Alberton exit and if you're coming from Superior take the Fish Cr. exit. It's in between and south of the highway. It's put on by the Saphire Mountain Men. I don't know what the booshway's phone number is but Robin Dennison in Superior would probably give you plenty of info. It's on memorial day weekend and it's one of the better rendezvous I've ever been to.

Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Scoundrel I was going to go to that one myself but wound up getting stuck at work even though I'd requested it off in advance. Maybe next year...

Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Thanks Scoundrel! I'll try to make it next year if I can get a couple days off of work.

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Posts: 212 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post