New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alone in the Wilderness
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
its a show thats been on PBS several times n excelent, about a guy that went to Alaska n eked a life out of the wilderness all alone, built hie own cabin ,garden etc all by his lonesome. Wife got the 2 CD set n book for me for my birthday, dang I got a good woman. now I can sit n watch or read at my pleasure, great present for guys n maybe gals that love this hobby like we all do. YMHS n happy guy Birdman ;0)

Posts: 964 | Location: south eastern Pa | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
That's a dandy.There's a second one out now, I reckon. You must have 'em both if you got two CDs. "Alaska, Silence and Solitude" is another that features the same fella when he's in his 70s and still strong as a mule. I've got the first one and the last one but not the new one that fits in the middle.

Fiddlesticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deadeye
posted Hide Post
Hey, I saw that too! Now I missed some of the beginning so maybe Birdman can help me with a question. Did he just build a cabin where he wanted or did he already own that land? Wasn't he in the military before that?

Anyway, it looked like a great way to live if you can handle and solitude and hard work. A person would have to be in great shape to do that! I don't think there are very many who could.

Posts: 1452 | Location: Good Ole USA of course! | Registered: 15 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Deadeye as soon as I get time n watch n do a little reading in the book I'll keep your question in mind, when I find or figure it out I'll post, sorta wondering about that myself. Terry I'll have to look at the tittles n get back on which ones it is, a third one huh, well maybe for next years birthday LOL

Posts: 964 | Location: south eastern Pa | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
'Eye, the DVD doesn't say if he owned the land, as best as I recall. However, by the time he left there in his 80s it belonged to the National Park Service. In fact, when the video "Alaska, Silence and Solitude" was made, and he was in his 70s, it was already NPS land and he was allowed to stay. And by then there was a road to his cabin. Only he still got around on his two legs and same old aluminum canoe.

The more recent DVD came about when kinfolk discovered some of his films no one knew existed. This one fills in between the first one, which you've seen parts of, and "Alaska, etc." as mentioned above.

Hope this helps.

Fiddlesticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post