muzzleloadermag.infopop.cc
Scary hunting tale

This topic can be found at:
https://muzzleloadermag.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/712109401/m/4807049283

24 September 2021, 10:50 AM
DanL
Scary hunting tale
Good morning...A few years back, my grandson was about 12 years old at the time. We planned to hunt in a box blind on a hillside overlooking a small field and an open wooded area. The spot had a a reputation of producing nice bucks.

I like to arrive to a deer stand about 60-45 minutes before any crack of light. I woke my grandson very early. We had breakfast and prepared for the hunt. We drove over to the area, parked and walked about 3/4 mile to the stand. We nestled into the stand and were quite cozy on that cold morning. At this time, I usually just close my eyes and enjoy the early morning quietness and what few of natures noises are out there. My grandson would play on his phone quietly until just before light. then he would turn off his phone getting ready for light to reveal what ever may come about.

He had turned off his phone and it was dead quiet and still pitch black. There we were anticipating what daylight might bring forth.

God bless America and Alba Gu Brath!
24 September 2021, 10:56 AM
DanL
As we were Sitting there in the pitch black silence, All of a sudden the grandson let out a scream a teenage girl would be proud of. He jumped over to me and was frantic!

I asked him what had happened....he said something cold and wet landed on his arm. I quickly switched on the flashlight to find what was disturbing our peace.

I discovered that a cold, wet tree frog had silently jumped from the window onto his arm which spooked him to no end.

That is one memory neither he nor I will ever forget!

Surprised, DanL

25 September 2021, 05:30 PM
Rancocas
Not exactly a hunting tale, but -
A long time ago a friend and I were heading to California. We made camp each night and used a little two-man pup tent for shelter. Our last stop before California was below Humphrey's Peak, several miles north of Flagstaff, Arizona. We enjoyed a meal cooked over an open fire, then sat and marveled at the "milky way" glowing softly over the highest peak in Arizona. But, it was December and the night was cool.
We crawled into our sleeping bags and lay with heads to the tent opening so we could continue to watch the stars. My German shepherd pup was tied to the front tent support pole and lay just outside, near my head.
My buddy, Dave, and I had drifted off to sleep when suddenly the most gawd-awful racket of yips, barks, and growls started up seemingly just a few yards away.
I rose up on my elbows to look out just as my dog dove into the tent. He went under my arm and down into my sleeping bag. Of course, being tethered to the tent pole, down came the pole and the tent as well.
So, I'm flouncing around in pitch darkness wrapped in a tangled sleeping bag with a squirming 50 pound puppy in the foot end of it, and the tent canvas down, covering us all.
Dave woke up to the blackness of a cavern, hears the commotion outside and the whining of my dog, and feels me thrashing around in a panic so he starts fighting his way out of the mess and we practically pound the crap out of each other in our attempts to get out of the tent.
It took a few minutes for us to get things sorted out.
That was my very first experience with a pack of coyotes.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.
27 September 2021, 08:25 AM
DanL
Great story Rancocas!