New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crazy idea
 Login/Join

Graybeard
posted
Hmmm most of us try n meander around the woods a bit just for personal health (LOL) why not carry a couple small bags of various seeds like wheat,oats,corn,wild flowers, seeds from various fruits ie apple, cherry etc n scuff up the ground n plant small patchs here n there. Couldn't hurt. I've done it for years, never really went back to check long term success but often saw sunflowers, various bunchs of grain etc. Maybe you'll start a grove of oaks or apple grove who knows. Worth a few minutes time while enjoying the forest n edges

Posts: 229 | Location: Southeast Pa. | Registered: 03 February 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
I just retired last year after 40 years as a private consulting forester and wildlife biologist, and have always replanted some favorite hunting spots with red oak, shagbark hickory, and black walnuts. I am lucky enough to have a grove containing all those species here at home....have also sowed ginseng, blueberries and other medicinal plants to give me a steady suppy...I, too see it as another reason to get out into the "weeds"....and you get to see the results.....Gary

" You do with your scalp as you wish and don't be telling us what to with ours."

Posts: 158 | Location: lake champlain, vt | Registered: 03 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
There's something called "seed bombs", ya mix some compost n seeds together n form into ballls about ping-pong ball size. Chuck em here n there as yer walking about. Figure spring would be bbest. Compost is supposed to give em that little boost to get started. Interesting idea I'll have to read up on some

Posts: 229 | Location: Southeast Pa. | Registered: 03 February 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Interesting Idea.Would require research to figure out which seeds would work best for your area.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
ask the Extention Service in your area what seed work best...

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Good idea.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post