New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's That Time Of The Year!
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted Hide Post
My wife makes the best mincemeat pie imaginable. You can't buy real mincemeat. She makes it out of deer meat and apples and raisins and currants and spices. Not as much sugar as most use. It's good.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hiya, Scoundrel!

Yepper, thet is just how my grandmother and mother made it. Sometimes they had to substitute beef for the meat when venison wasn't available.

I can't even find make-believe mincemeat pies in the grocery stores up here anymore.

Also, I jest can't get enough real southern pecan pie either!

Regads, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 526 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Good pecan pie is hard to beat. Most don't have enough pecans. My mother used to go back to Oklahoma to see her people some years and she would bring back a big sack of pecans. She'd make pies 'till they were gone. Haven't had anything like that for about 30 years.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Ahhhh . . . fellas. Got two big fat home made full-of-pecans pies laying on the counter yonder in the kitchen as I write. Got a pecan tree in the front yard. And have Georgia pecans ricked back, as well.

My 81 year old ma-in-law, who lives next door keeps me in 'em.

Pains me to even tell y'uns about it . . .

Sniffin'sticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
We got friends in GA,they send us a plenty of p cans

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Fiddlesticks, I can see the sympathy drippin' off every word you write.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Nawt wantin to get anyone two stirred-up, but got me a DARK Benson cake and another cake laced wit th pecans and a gud dash of th rum comin soon.

Dreamin an Droolin Rupe

Posts: 467 | Location: NW Pennsylvania | Registered: 20 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Walna 'Sticks, I see ya been aholdin' out on yer good buddy some! I aint had no pecan pie inna looong spell so IFEN I DON"T GIT ME SOME PECAN PIE SOON, I'M GONNA DIE!!

Shucks, guess I'll jest hafta go cut me 'nuther piece o'fruitcake ta help settle all these 'ere cravings.

Tis plum pitiful thet a growed man hast ta grovel ta git good eats!

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 526 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Bad as I hate to say, I'm sitting a'twixt two pecan pie eaters right now. 'Tis Mrs. Sticks and Number-One-Son-Sticks. You wouldn't believe how chock full of pecans each slice is. Ain't exactly like lissenin' to squirrels gnawin' nuts, but 'tain't far from it. And it's kinda like a couple o' bluegills slurpin' down bugs---in a hurry. Have you ever seen a hawg get into a trough with both front feet? That's how I'm being tempted . . .

Now this Benson cake: what'n'thunder is it?

Uh . . . 'Foxie? - Uh . . . Mrs. Sticks said the best she could do for you right now is send a bag of pecans and a recipe. Heh heh heh...

Fiddlesticks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Fiddlesticks,

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Aaaaah Mista Sticks. So ya asks 'bout whatsa Benson cake ? Naw it seems ta me frm yur writtin that ya havta hav a rather vast knowledge of many cakes; but fer me palate th Benson ist a lil bit of cake heaven. Ist hard fer me ta describe th taste and th satisfaction it brings this ol goat, so I wilst make ya this offer iffin ya so choose. Send me in a PM yur name an th address an I wuld be obliged ta send yur way a small cake er a small piece of th cake for ya ta try. I trust ya wuldnt be sorry.

Sharin Rupe

Posts: 467 | Location: NW Pennsylvania | Registered: 20 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Sticks.....hav twoa thm Benson cakes in fronta me nawh !! They wont be lastin lond,.......so let me kno.

Rupe/PA

Factor
posted Hide Post
Ahhh, Rupie I wouldn't deprive ye. Mrs. Sticks Googleized 'em and found out whut it were. I'll hunt up some of 'em sum'wers. If'n ye hear me bark treed you'll know I've run one to its den.

Thankee enyhow,

Fiddlesticks

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Now how did I ever miss this conversation?I purely love fruitcake.The missus has a friend that makes 'em.Good ones too....Only problem is her husband is a low down snake of a man,so I'm gonna have to try to get her to offer me one without it sounding like I'm desperate or nothin'.As for Pecan,mincemeat an such like,all I can do is drool at the thought.....My Gramma used to make suet pudding ever year(with hard sauce of course)an since she passed I haven't even seen any that didn't come in a can,from England,of all places.Sure wish girls still learned to cook the good stuff.....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 1939 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Mincemeat Pie!!!!!!! I love that stuff. I might have to hit your place packin my trade gun just in case you get feisty.

Is it real mincemeat or that apple raisin junk that comes in a jar and sold in the grocery store? That stuff isn't mincemeat.

My Dad used to make mincemeat for Mom using the suet from the dear he got. He always used the crumbly suit found around the heart and kidneys.

Mom could store her mincemeat for years. She always put it in a gallon jar and kept a layer of brandy over the top so it was sealed from the air, even though the jar lid was closed down tight with wax paper. About once a year she would have to add brandy since some had a tendency to absorb into the mincemeat. After a couple of years it took on a real kick. Big Grin

You can have all the pecan pie you want, just put the mincemeat pie on my table.

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hey Sticks - Im eatin yur cake !! Im jus tha kinda guy !! HAW.

Rupe/PA

Factor
posted Hide Post
I'd braced myself fer that . . .

You were gone, but your ways weren't forgotten! - Haw! Haw! Haw!

Sideslappin'sSticks

Booshway
posted Hide Post
White finger I'm going to have my wife make a mincemeat pie and I'll eat it in your honor. And her mincemeat is the real stuff.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
You guys are hard,hard I say. :P

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 1939 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
My dearest fellow fruity's
Thank goodness theres at least 3 of us left on this planet..
My mother cooks up the same batch has her mother we talking at least 80 year old recipe.
Darn mom started getting healthly and she cut out the pork back fat in her mix...
She bakes them in oct. and wraps them in a thin dishtowel brandy soaked...
Shes checks and re-applys till X-Mass.
Don't even bother getting on the sacle till the fruit cake is gone.
Boy's your living right!

Posts: 122 | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post