New
Find
Notify
Tools

Judge Judy
 Login/Join

Graybeard
posted
I want to cry!! According to a recent poll over 10% of graduating collage students thought judge Judy is a Supreme Court Justice. WTF are they teaching , costing hundreds of thousands of dollars, in these establishments. Totally unbelievable. Learn it, pass a test, forget it, is NOT what higher education is supposed to be about. I want to cry for my country

Posts: 229 | Location: Southeast Pa. | Registered: 03 February 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
My belief is that 10% of recent college graduates are like their parents... no more than nose-picking philistines. They are idiots, but not savants, however. Savants can do math!

And on another timely and less controversial topic, I do hope that all in the path of this winter storm will stay safe. Not the least of that is for critters. I recall the great blizzard of '96. Was on my farm then with cattle and horses to care for, plus barn cats, one meat goat and about four dogs. Thank heavens for Massey Ferguson 360 diesel and a 7' blade.

The original plan was to toodle off to Roanoke tomorrow for some shoulder surgery, but I suspect that I will be aggravating it a bit more shoveling snow. Alas, 'tis the way of the world. Y'all be safe.

... and PS. Both Dr Phil and Judge Judy can just fragrentize the big phoam phart as far as I'm concerned! They deserve that newly "educated" 10% as fans, and those fans deserve them. Oh, and that 10% is probably on the HIGHER end of television viewership IQ.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MountainRanger,

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Leonard
posted Hide Post
As political science is not a requirement for most college degrees (except of course Political Science), it sounds more like a failure of high school education to me. Back in the 60's everyone was required to take Civics - how many high schools require this today I wonder ???

I do agree that 10% (maybe 20%) of college students should be elsewhere learning a trade instead of wasting their (and my) time and their money.

My students didn't necessarily know the Supreme Court justices when they graduated, but they did know their chemistry !!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Leonard,

Posts: 46 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 28 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Although colleges (and high schools) no longer actually teach history, civics and the Constitution, the biggest failure nowadays is that they do not teach students to "think" either rationally or logically. Schools simply indoctrinate.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3558 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I home schooled my youngest.One of the reasons was I was told by his teacher that he was asking too many questions....'Nuff said.....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2013 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Leonard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hanshi:
Although colleges (and high schools) no longer actually teach history, civics and the Constitution, the biggest failure nowadays is that they do not teach students to "think" either rationally or logically. Schools simply indoctrinate.

Hanshi, I won't speak of other institutions, but that is simply not true at the University I taught at, nor of those I've attended (UGA "Go Dawgs!", and Wichita State "Go Shockers!").

Critical thinking was stressed and encouraged at all three institutions. Admittedly, I was in the sciences (Chemistry), but I know that faculty and staff from other disciplines at the university I just retired from also tried their best to do this - even though it was sometimes like pulling teeth, lol!

The Departments even do assessment each year to find out how we were doing and to try and improve things.

So some of us, at least, are really trying.

Posts: 46 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 28 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Leonard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boartooth:
I home schooled my youngest.One of the reasons was I was told by his teacher that he was asking too many questions....'Nuff said.....

My biggest problem was getting my students to ASK questions - some people just shouldn't be in teaching .....

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I was at UGA as an undergraduate and a graduate student. I was in the earth sciences and those teachers were wonderful teachers and I was friends with and loved them for the dear friends they were. We're talking about the 1960s. The college grads and high school grads of today are not clear thinkers. To them logic is a fascist plot. Few are even aware the Constitution is the law and know nothing of it's origin. These are the "kids" who demonize guns and hunting and rage against killing game animals when meat can be purchased at the grocery. It scares me what these students (as adults) will do to freedom. They will shout down ANY speaker who is not PC - that is espouse freedom for all. The past 4 to 5 decades have seen changes not conducive to education (general statement) or liberty. Yep, I'm a UGA!

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3558 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post