muzzleloadermag.infopop.cc
Old and cold

This topic can be found at:
https://muzzleloadermag.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/712109401/m/4284049148

09 February 2019, 10:35 PM
Bud in PA
Old and cold
It seems to me that the older I get what use to be tolerable around 10-15 degrees is friggin brutal now. Old age ain't for sissies.
10 February 2019, 08:09 AM
Walkingeagle
I hear ya sir! That cold is something fierce for sure. With the wind chill we are hovering around that -40 range. Yesterday I spoke with a friend and old coworker, he reported below -50 with minimal wind at his location in NW alberta!
Stay warm all.
Walk
10 February 2019, 09:06 AM
Rancocas
Here in the mountains of southeast Tennessee we have not had it too bad. No snow worth speaking of. Plenty of cold rain! Nighttime temperatures have dropped into the teens, but the days have warmed up to around 40*F on average. Of course there have been cooler days, and also warmer days.

I've been spending one or two days each week scouting the backwoods for turkey signs. Spring turkey hunting season opens here on March 30, and will run all through April and about half of May.

Turkey numbers are down here in Tenasi. So far, I have not found much sign.

However, I was quite surprised to find two different and active buck scrapes at this time of year.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.
10 February 2019, 09:28 AM
Rifleman1776
Our temps are not as low as what others are experiencing. But here, in the Arkansas Ozarks, when it is 30 degrees and rainy it seems you cannot wear enough clothes to stay warm. We have been having almost constant rain for months. One TV weatherman said "every drop of rain coming down is setting a new record". I have a new, beautiful flint rifle built by Dave Person that I have not yet been able to shoot. Frowner We need some dry and sunshine.
11 February 2019, 12:14 PM
Hanshi
Down in my native we had only three seasons; Summer, Christmas and almost summer. Here in Maine the weather is weird. Below freezing for several days with occasional snow followed by a few days in the 40s & 50s. But it usually rains on those warm days.

I have never been used to cold, what with growing up in hot, humid Georgia. Never minded the h & h much, but cold doesn't suit me.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*
11 February 2019, 09:43 PM
woods loper
I hit 50 this June. I went to a rifle frolic at the end of January. It dropped to about 25 that night. With two wool blankets and a wool frock and weskit I stayed warm enough. My problem as I get older is sleeping on the ground on a bed of straw! That ground sure gets harder as I get older!!!
12 February 2019, 03:01 PM
Boartooth
quote:
Originally posted by Hanshi:
Down in my native we had only three seasons; Summer, Christmas and almost summer. Here in Maine the weather is weird. Below freezing for several days with occasional snow followed by a few days in the 40s & 50s. But it usually rains on those warm days.

I have never been used to cold, what with growing up in hot, humid Georgia. Never minded the h & h much, but cold doesn't suit me.
You were WAAaaarned! Heh.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin
13 February 2019, 06:14 AM
Walking Crow
Who was it that taunted Mother Nature just awhile ago about the weather??Ever hear ,"it isn't nice to fool with Mother Nature.. I got up this A.M. and wished it would stop snowing,,it did, now it is raining on top of 6-8" of new snow. Careful what you wish for ,,,,
13 February 2019, 11:55 AM
Crossfox
AAAAYUP! Saw thet wuz gonna happen right off!

Lots of snow here and moderate temps -2 to +20's mostly. In the mid +30's right now and snowing. Don't mind the cold......just get tired of the endless overcast grey days.

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.