New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prepping?
 Login/Join

Graybeard
posted
OK before ya jump down my throat think about it a minute. What many are doing today for their own reasons is literally a historical holdover renamed. Salting, smokeing, pickleing , storeing meats in lard , making cider n wine etc are all forms of prepping for hard times. Soooo with that explanation how many have root cellers, can, pickle etc to save garden produce, game n such for later use. Also any good web sites about doing it anybody can advise looking into? Hahaha history repeats itself with a new name

Posts: 229 | Location: Southeast Pa. | Registered: 03 February 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
Try these sites. I recall reading them in Mother Earth News:
http://www.motherearthnews.com...t-ze0z1508zcwil.aspx

http://www.motherearthnews.com...ling-ze0z10zhir.aspx

One other series you might check into... I used to have most of the Foxfire books and they had lots of info on food preservation, as well as just about everything you might want to know about living off the grid, probably including field expedient toilet paper, hehe. They are still available on Amazon so you might google Foxfire/food preservation and see what book that is in. Good luck.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MountainRanger,

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Ooooh,yeah,do we ever....That's partially what brought me into this community.
A good resource for this sort of endeavor is a forum called " Sufficient Self ". My wife is one of the sorts that hang out there.
Another good source of info,a little more HC, is "John Townsend & Son" videos on Youtube.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I re-use those large, clear plastic containers that once held pretzels, purchased at the big package store, or the smaller versions you get at the supermarket. I have rice in some of the largest, plus beans, and some dried potatoes, and some powdered milk. Plus several jugs of water and several bottles of lemon juice.

Not to mention the canned goods in the pantry.

This isn't for doomsday....this if for a very large ice storm OR a very large tropical storm coming in...

Anyway, your biggest concerns will be lack of refrigeration (or difficulty in heating if it's Winter), plus clean water. Most folks don't realize that if they shut off the intake to the water heater, and open the relief valve on top, there is a spigot on the bottom and you have 80 or so gallons of fresh water there. Smiler

IF you are thinking of buying professionally made food supplies....the best value for calories seems to be the dried dairy products (I hope you don't have lactose problems). The second choice is either some dried fruit, and/or some dried protein like a meat. The veggies, while cheaper, don't give you many calories, so only provide fiber (which you will get if you eat some beans) and some vitamins (and it takes less room to store a good quality vitamin supplement.)

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
My wife and her parents went through hurrican Andrew so if we dont have a mountain of firewood and enough food to feed a battalion of mountain men she isnt happy. Back when the enconmy went to crap I was logging and running our sawmill then everyone stopped buying lumber but we never went to bed hungry.

Some people are born to be tied down, some people are born to be free.

Posts: 21 | Registered: 27 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
My Family has been poor forever,my parents lived through The Great Depression,and before that were farmers as long as there has been farming ....It's in our genes to "put by" for lean times,don't matter what you call it.It's a fad nowdays to be a "prepper",but to us,it's just what we do.....BTW,glass is better to store foodstuffs than plastic,cause mice can smell food through plastic containers,and then chew their way through it.It's a nasty surprise to pull a big plastic container out of storage only to find a little hole in the bottom and mouse turds mixed with the contents....

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Boartooth

I agree glass is way better than plastic, you usally find plastic has failed when you need it the most.

BTW I love your signature. Smiler

Some people are born to be tied down, some people are born to be free.

Posts: 21 | Registered: 27 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I'm with you, Boartooth. It's rare that we don't have several 5 gal containers of water filled and ready for either drinking, cooking or pouring into the tank of the commode for a flush... obeying the old axiom: If it's yellow, let it mellow, if it's brown,flush it down! hehe. We have lots of canned goods awaitin' that includes vegies and meats plus generally, there are some dried foodstuffs Hehe, and I'm still so poor that I can't afford to pay attention.

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
My daughter recently reorganized our pantry. She threw out a box full of canned goods that were long past their expiration date.

Some were obviously bad, but others we were not so sure. I took an expired can of chicken with dumplings into the mountains for my lunch yesterday. After two bites I decided not to risk any more. It just didn't taste right. I finished lunch with only an apple and a candybar.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
One of the basic rules of "putting by" food is to rotate out the oldest,and eat it.Otherwise you end up just confirming what your kids have been thinking about you right along...Heh.

Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
I have always been one of those finicky eaters when it comes to canned goods. I check the dates and always do a lot of sniffin. If the food passes my smell test, then taste just a snip and chew but not swallow until my tongue says it's OK. Been hit with some mighty bad food born sickness's a few times in my life. Never want to relive ANY of those!! I grew up poor, (never knew it at the time) folks raised 11 kids. Never knew hunger. Learned to like plain fix'n's. My mom was a wizard in the kitchen! Could make SPAM taste like prime rib! I actually like SPAM to this day!

Posts: 197 | Registered: 15 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I guess I am a closet prepper, no real stockpile but definitely know how to accumulate one from my little piece of land. I have all the right armament and know how to use it, lots of lead, flint rifles and BP, I grow a big garden every year to can and freeze stuff and have a freezer full of wild game.

I keep a stockpile of snares and traps, just in case. I once worked with a commercial fisherman who taught me ins and outs of freshwater commercial fishing. I live about 1/3 of a mile from a huge lake and keep a 300 hook trot line that has never been in the water, complete with a jump box on the ready, again, just in case.

I think about having a 55 gal rain barrels under my downspouts. This would supply me with 550 gallons of water in a pinch. I haven't moved on this one yet but one has to have contingency plans.

Posts: 47 | Registered: 04 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I did that at my farm a few years ago. Don't forget to use a fairly fine bronze filter to keep crap out of the barrel. It took me having some nasty water and learning the hard way about that. Also, a bit of bleach to make sure that algae doesn't take hold inside the barrel would help too.

Sua Sponte

Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Look up useing Alum in your water barrels to preserve the water. It's was used in past history before bleach came around

Posts: 229 | Location: Southeast Pa. | Registered: 03 February 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
well, alum is a great coagulant and is used in one form or another in primary or secondary municipal water treatment to aid in removal of sediment. I still say that it may be easier and possibly safer to use your basic 5% sodium hypoclorite (common bleach)to purify water in a barrel or canteen. It will kill giardia parisites.

Sua Sponte

Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Like most of you, I don't call it "prepping", but simple everyday living. It's a very satisfying lifestyle to fill the freezer with fish and game that you have procured yourself, and filled the pantry with the wild bounty of the forest, and your own garden. It's so satisfying to know what I'm consuming, and where it came from....The only "prepping" that concerns me is the next foraging, and winter trapping season.....Gary

" You do with your scalp as you wish and don't be telling us what to with ours."

Posts: 158 | Location: lake champlain, vt | Registered: 03 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post