New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Christmas Lament
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
IF'n I don't get some FRUITCAKE soon, ah'm gonna diiiiiiieeeeeee!!!

Been ta every tradin' post from Sula ta Lolo 'n' aint found a one yet. 'N' not ah mincemeat pie ta be seen either! What's becoming ov this here country during Holiday Season?!? Don't folks enjoy good vituals anymore ere what?!?

It's 'nother year without those sweet concoctions to tickle my pallet. I hear tale thet folks over in Colorado Springs has a fruitcake toss, kinda like the punkin chunkers do. Sech a waste ov fine cake, sad enough ta make a growed man cry.

So, ifen any of you receive an unwanted fruitcake or mincemeat pie, please send them my way.

Keep an eye to the ridgeline......'n' yor fruitcake close!

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
If I get two I will send you one. Markh

Posts: 162 | Location: Burlington, Wisconsin | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
What do folks have against fruitcake? I love 'em.
Specially with a good homemade hard sauce.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
No dice on fruitcake, but I've had mincemeat tarts twice already this season, hopefully again next week.

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Specially with a good homemade hard sauce.

I only found out Christmas Eve, while I was watching a Christmas edition of The Great British Baking Show, that there are several different "hard" toppings for plum pudding and what we would call fruitcake (although British Christmas Cake is a fruit cake with frosting over marzipan)..., as the fruitcake with all the booze added was a DIY preservative for shipping the stuff via Victorian Era British Postal System. In the Flint Era..., they probably would not have heavily boozed their cakes nor puddings.

Hard Sauce which I thought was the only topping, is rum and butter and sugar, creamed together.

Rum Butter is the same BUT..., you use dark brown sugar

Brandy Sauce you'd think would be the same thing but simply substitute the brandy for the rum..., Well it's not..., it's brandy and flour and milk and sugar and butter....so while the other too are various colors depending on the sugar and the rum this is definitely off white.

Brandy Butter which some sources again think it's the same as rum based hard sauce, but actually, it's important that you use brandy and butter and confectioner's sugar (they call it icing sugar) instead of the normal white sugar or brown sugar. It does make a difference in the end product.

And apparently in Northern England they serve the pudding with non-hard, Vanilla Custard. At least the show host, Paul Hollywood remembered the custard as what he was used to having on the pudding.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Heh, I just watched that episode yesterday. I grew up thinking that there was only one hard sauce due to that being the only one my Family made to go on suet pudding(also identical to a plum pudding/fruit cake).My Grandma never wrote down her recipe, so I guess it is lost.I do miss home made suet pud.

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
It has always been my understanding that there was only 1 (one) fruitcake in the world; and that it just got passed around. They are immune to decay and can last forever. Fruitcakes - not a joke - go back to ancient Egypt and were buried with the deceased for the afterlife. I'd bet they'd still be edible. Eeker

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I'm no food connoisseur. Mostly I just eat whatever is laid down in front of me. But, I do know what I like.
I have never cared for mincemeat. Not at all!
However, I do enjoy a good fruitcake, with or without a topping.
And, now that its been mentioned, I don't recall even seeing a fruitcake this year.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Haven't seen a fruit cake in 30 to 40 years. I never liked them, but I have noticed that my tastes have changed with age. I'd give it one more try if I could find one.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
"We never eat fruitcake because it has rum...
and the tiniest bite turns a man to a bum...
and can you imagine a sorrier si-i-i-i-ght...
than a man eating fruitcake until he gets tight?
Away-ay away-ay with rum, by gum!"....old ditty
Be blessed in the new year, all!
windy

Posts: 487 | Location: wetside o' washington | Registered: 14 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Windy, The first time I heard that ditty, it was sung to me by my (to be) wife. She was into the hootenany scene when she was young, and learned a whole bunch of old folk songs, etc.

Factor
posted Hide Post
I like blonde "fruitcake" and "stollen". Neither are preserved in rum. My wife is from the Carribean and likes "black cake", but I don't have a taste for it.

On the other hand one could, if baking a fruitcake, omit the citron (the part I don't like) and then eat it with a glass of rum on the side.... as my mom used to say when I didn't like foods on my plate mixed up...

It all goes to the same container....

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Lol....Yup.

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
LD, when I was a kid I would stir my corn and peas into my mashed potatos and gravy. My father ordered me to stop that because it made a 'slop bucket' of my stomach. I obeyed but knew that it all went to the same bucket anyway. Él León

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for jogging the memories of great fruit cakes and warm suet/plum puddings with hard sauce. I remember them both very well as well as warm Indian Meal and Bread puddings, simple foods that have gone by the wayside. As far as the "mixing" of foods together, one popular chain offers this mix in a cardboard bowl and calls it a meal. Confused

Posts: 37 | Location: Vassalboro, Maine | Registered: 21 November 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by windy:
"We never eat fruitcake because it has rum...
and the tiniest bite turns a man to a bum...
and can you imagine a sorrier si-i-i-i-ght...
than a man eating fruitcake until he gets tight?
Away-ay away-ay with rum, by gum!"....old ditty
Be blessed in the new year, all!
windy

Fruitcake. What a waste of good rum! Smiler

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post