New
Find
Notify
Tools

Been a'grindin'
 Login/Join

Factor
posted Hide Post
Having plenty of deer meat for the winter makes a fella adventuresome. Way to the back of the smokehouse (in the bottom of the freezer) I found three thumpin' big ol' steaks offa huge buck from last year. I'd sliced off the top sirloin to its own lonesome, but left the two biggest muscles together and took out the bone. When you do that you're left with big steaks for a deer. I'd cut 'em 1/2 inch thick. That's like discoverin' the crown jewels. Now what to do with'em?

Wal, I spiced 'em and circled 'em about with bacon. Took two slices each on accounta they were so big'n'thick. Then I browned 'em in a skillet as hot as a pistol, having put in a thin skim of oil so's the bacon wouldn't scorch right off the bat. The bacon was pretty nigh done by the time I let 'em out of the skillet. Then I took the skillet off the fire and stirred up the leavins in the bottom and tossed some flour in there. Took to stirrin' it, happy as a lark. Hard to keep from kicking my heels together. When the flour took to browning I poured in a smidgen of beef broth (although chicken broth goes with deer better). Next thing you know I had the laruppinest little gravy-like-sauce ever you laid your eyes on. For a deer steak to get laid over in that is like a fat buck in high clover. Only I was the one doing all the grinnin'. Put'em in a glass dish and drizzled the sauce in there with 'em, and covered it. LANDS A'MERCY! Stoked the fire up to 350 degrees. Slid it all right in the oven and waited like an expectant father for two hours. LAWZY! Fork tender. Longlegs, my nephew, gobbled it down like a fattenin' hog. Mrs. Sticks said it was the best I ever did. Licked her lips for two hours afterward.

Anyhow, that's how you do it.

Fiddlesticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
If you'd used squirrel broth maybe you'd have had an extra share.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
HAW! HAW! HAW!

Trouble is, I'd've been back under the smokehouse. It ain't so bad under there in warm weather---if you don't mind sharin' it with a groundhog---but DOGGIES!---it gets pretty cool at night in this December weather. And Mrs. Sticks don't even give me time to grab a blanket. And the groundhog goes underground so's I can't snuggle up to him. He's prob'ly sore at me, anyhow, because I kick him away when he wants to snuggle in the summer; too hot then.

Life ain't nuthin' but a trap . . .

Sighin'Sticks

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Poor 'Sticks......... Big Grin

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Thanks 'Tooth . . . sniff . . . I'll just wait till the water buckets are empty again . . . or mebbe she'll want me to do some more cookin' . . . Hmmm, I can wait till she does the warshing and steal me a blanket off'n the line---say!---that might bring the groundhog up to snuggle with me!---he'd be like a little potbellied stove!

'Course none o' that's a worry unless I fix my next mess o' deer meat in squirrel broth. That'd surely take some guts . . .

Eyein'thesmokehouse'Sticks

<mtnmike>
posted
sorta brings a tear to yer eye,don't it? Frowner

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Sniff . . . snort . . . you're an understanding man, 'Mike. 'Specially for a mountain man whut gen'rally have tough gizzards in 'em. Only one way to tame a real mountain man . . . it takes a good woman. No doubt Mrs. Mike fits that. 'Specially the way she can cook. Your kindness warms my heart.

If I can stay out from under the smokehouse I'll keep warm all over . . .

Hopin'tokeepfromshiverin'Sticks

<mtnmike>
posted
Well Sticks,,,I got outta bed this AM and thought to myself,what could i do to honor you today? So I drug out the BIG biscuit pan,made me a nice pan of cathead biscuits,opened a new jar of home-made apple butter,and said Thanks for you & the BIG MAN upstairs! Thanks for being you

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Mike, I hope you had some meat and eggs with your biscuits 'cause vegetarianism just don't cut the mustard.

<mtnmike>
posted
scoundrel,,I had to go easy on telling my menu Big Grin,,if I had mentioned the salt cured ham steak or the red eye gravy,or them beautiful fluffy scrambled eggs the missus makes,I was in fear that ol Fiddlesticks would be licking my computer screen,I wouldn't be able to see what I was awriting.

Booshway
Picture of Idaho Mountainneer
posted Hide Post
Sheesh, you got me drooling on my computer.

Posts: 330 | Location: Twin Falls ID | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
You just had to squirm the whole truth outa him, didn't you Scoundrel? You hadda make him fling a whole blanket of cravin' down on us all, huh? Now, here was a fella tryin' to be nice about it---so as not to overload us, y'see---he being a good hearted mountain man and all. But whadda ya do? Ya flush 'im out in the open, force out a truth none wanted to hear fer the burden of it. Now we've been day dreamin' about his breakfast all day. The turkey I et for dinner helped nuthin'. Pshaw!---how it pales to red-eye gravy! Lawzy!

On t'other hand . . . ahhhh . . . the thought of it (sniffing the air) . . . I can pert-near smell it. Just the wishin' I could smell it is a comfort . . . knowin' that out there somewhere, no matter how yonder . . . sniff, sniff . . . ahhhh . . .

Nosetothebreeze'Sticks

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Well, I don't know what to say 'Sticks. I guess most of us have done things we wish we could take back, but don't dismay. Time heals most wounds, especially after a couple doses of biscuits and gravy and a side of deer tenderloins and eggs. Maybe tamp them down with some sourdough hotcakes with butter and real maple syrup on them. Somethin' like that should make you feel better.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Sniff (wiping tears) . . . it'd heal me right up, Scoundrel, if 'tweren't for all this holiday eatin' standing in the way. Can't get to it---unless I eat my way to it through all these fruitcakes'n'such. I feel lost amongst all the fanciness.

A fella can surely get to pinin' for reg'lar eatin' . . .

Redeyegravy'Sticks

Factor
posted Hide Post
Ah well,do your duty today,there's always tomorrow for reg'lar eatin'

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Duty does call, don't it? By jingo!---fetch me some more turkey Maw! I'll eat my way out of this hole and back into the lap of delicious un-luxury! Thanks for puttin' some stiff in my backbone, 'Tooth! (Pounding on the table) pile them plates higher'n that, I've got work to do!

Chompin'andswallerin'Sticks

Factor
posted Hide Post
Looks like we'll butcher another deer after all. Homesteader Jack kilt a late season buck. He don't eat deer no more because he et 'em till he was sick of 'em growing up. But he wants to jerk half of this one and Mrs. Sticks and me will put up the rest. She's tickled because we'd et down on what we already had. Back to grinding again. Ahhhh . . .

Dreamin'ofcookin'Sticks