New
Find
Notify
Tools

Been a'grindin'
 Login/Join

Factor
posted Hide Post
Thanksgiving surely can blunt a fella's pinin' for a shepherds pie. All them finicky folks gathered around all them turkeys . . .

I researched 'em some, and doggies if I don't think Scoundrel's notions are the best. But I don't know if I'm allowed to call it a shepherds pie if I don't use lamb. They say a shepherds pie made with beef should be called a "cottage pie." Now where does that leave one made of deer meat?---a "hunters pie?" Drat. Things git plumb clouded up. Way I figger it is that a shepherd got tired of lamb for a spell, and a deer came a mite too near camp, and he grabbed his wolf rifle and shot it. Then the shepherd made the same old pie as always.

No doubt that plumb centers what actually happened . . .

Re-satisfied'Sticks

P.S. This week (slurp!), this week . . . heh heh . . . I'm gonna slide a Scoundrel's pie into the oven . . .

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
"Sticks,you got me drooling.But,since we got more turkey inside this house than walking the woods,I think we'll have to try it with turkey.S'okay,I still like turkey.......

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Meat's meat, says the starvin' man while he's eatin' his dog's tail. Your pie you can call it what you want. I'll give you one more tip on that dish. If you're using moose or trimmed elk or deer with little or no fat, try to get your hands on a beef chuck steak or something with some fat and cut it up in there.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
'Tooth, the only way you can dig yourself out of turkey is to dig into it first! A turkey miner! Haw! Haw! I've been one aplenty of times for sure. We just have to roll up our sleeves, pick at the bones, and shovel it in . . .

Scoundrel, I loved that line about the dog's tail. Gave me more than one chuckle---and so true! Been times I've wished for meat, and didn't even have a dog. Thanks for the tip on the fat. I may go with a tad of bacon; I could eat a fence post wrapped in bacon . . .

Yummin'itup'Sticks

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I couldn't agree more 'Sticks.Turkey is one of my all time favorites.Guess I'm a turkey miner!I wouldn't advise eating a fencepost wrapped in bacon,y'might get splinters in yer tongue,which would make preachifying difficult.....

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Been rummagin' through the smokehouse (freezer) to find my deer meat, but especially the fat whut Scoundrel said to get. Found no bacon, but found chunks off'n ham hocks. That'll do. Outa be sizzle-umptious come the morrow when I start forming the pie. Jehoshaphat!

Fiddlesticks

Factor
posted Hide Post
YUMM!!!

Factor
posted Hide Post
Well said, 'Tooth.

I drizzled in a little oil and scattered the ham hock chunks around in it. Hand tossed in some diced up onion. You shoulda smelled it. I stuck my nose over the pot and snuffed it up like a bloodhound after a killer. It'uz hard not to eat it before I hardly got started. Well, I held off and rendered the fat off'n the ham hocks. Scooped out the hocks'n'onion.

Just like the Scoundrel document said, I floured my chunked up deer meat and tossed it all in the oil'n'fat. O how it sizzled!---shiver me taste buds! I sniffed'n'sniffed, maybe giggled a little. Got'er goodn'n'browned and scooped the deer out. Time to make a smidgeon of gravy of out of the leavin's. The Scoundrel document said more flour. In it went. Mrs. Sticks got all fancy, said I was making a rue. Sounds like I oughta be ashamed of it . . .

Anyway, a song just naturally pops out at a time like that:

"Rue, rue rue your spoon
Gently down the pie,
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
Eat it till I die . . ."

Got my smidgeon of gravy made, wherein lay all the flavor. Poured in beef broth and spices---different from the Scoundrel document, but he said I could suit my own taste. Back in went the hocks'n'onion and floured deer meat. Let'em begin to bubble till the deer was gettin' tender and O so flavorsome! More giggling. Might've hopped in a circle once or twice. But I didn't drool in the pot. Then I had chunked up onion, bell pepper, carrot, celery to pour in like an avalanche.

Got taters peeled and on to boil in salt water. Kept forkin' 'em to see when they tendered. Seemed to take too long. Mrs. Sticks said I shoulda cut the taters in chunks instead of boilin' 'em whole like that. Said they'd tender quicker. Thought I'd mention that in case it warn't a well known fact. Anyway, I got'em smushed up with milk, real butter, sour cream like the Scoundrel document called for. Smeared 'em around on top of the stew. Tried to scorch it golden brown, as they say, but it still come out kinda pale.

I tell you what, though . . . the taste of it would turn your worst enemy into your best friend! Whooooooweeeee! Et my first bowl of it and strutted around the kitchen like a peacock. I'd've sucked my belly in and stuck out my chest if I could've.

Fiddlesticks

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I can see it all.
Leon

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Wish you could've smelt'n'tasted it, Volie! Leftovers today . . . ahhhhh . . .

Thanks Scoundrel for the help. An historical act in our family and you provided the primary source in my research.

Fiddlesticks

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Glad it turned out. Next time you can tailor it even more to your own tastes.

Factor
posted Hide Post
I repeat....YUUUMMMM!!!!!

Factor
posted Hide Post
Ah . . . I tailored it more to me the second day---today! Melted smoked Gouda cheese atop it. Lands a'mercy! I'd fight a wildcat in the top of a thorny locust to pertect it!

Now it's all gone . . . gone . . . Simply disappeared . . . down the hatch . . . a final lick of the spoon and it'uz over.

Surely do miss it. Reckon it'd be unseemly to make two of 'em in one week?

I'll say one thing---nope, two things---with Scoundrel's receipt for shepherds pie and Mrs. Mike's for meat loaf there oughtn't be a deer safe in the woods come next season. That's a fact.

Till then I'm waling at wood with an axe in the chip yard and plotting my next cookin' adventure.

Spittin'kindlin'Sticks

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Keep at it 'Sticks. Fat critters winter better than skinny ones.

<mtnmike>
posted
Well its been raining around here like the days of Noah, I have 1 more deer tag to go(#6),so I spent today making up deer sausage,got close to 25# made up,so when the deep snow gits to my hollar,me & the missus won't starve,but I still got rabbit till FEB.1st so maybe the rain will ease up and I can tag out on deer for the year.
Sticks,,reading an drooling on all your cooking purt nears makes my belly roar like a panter. So either feed me or quit teasing huh? Big Grin

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Friends, at this stage of life I'm more like an ol' fat-b'ar than a painter. (Getting a grudge ag'in them sleek-slim fellers.) Takes a tol'able sized sittin' log in a deer huntin' hidey-hole. But I oughta winter all right. 'Nuff meat in the smokehouse to keep me from havin' to grub up roots before spring.

I've still got some deer tags, but I'm most likely done. Still had meat from last year to go with the three butchered this year. If I have to I'll rob the woods of limb bacon. Thataway I'll make it through to warm weather and only my missus will starve out. Finicky folks are up a stump, is all I can say . . .

Bracedforwinter'Sticks

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Finicky folks might change their ways when times get hard. All my ancestors who had food issues died out generations ago. Anyone who ain't been hungry enough for his large intestine to start eating on his small one can't say what's good to eat and what ain't.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Yup. Know what'd be a sight? One o' those finicky fellers having to gnaw on the tail of his little lap poodle. Bawlin' an' blubberin' and whinin' out, "Meat's meat . . ."

Scoundrel, you seem to be a fella that's done been to the wide-open. Got the air juniper and sage on you . . .

Fiddlesticks

Booshway
posted Hide Post
That's a fine compliment 'Sticks, and true. I was raised out in the brush and spent my life in the mountains and desert..

Factor
posted Hide Post
Understand. I know all about the brush, thickets, and stuff. Not the wide-open; we couldn't see very far in any direction, 'cept from a hilltop. Only thing with much of a view was the ol' redtail hawk circlin' the creek bottom. Got the smell of cedar raws'm (resin) on me, and my pockets full of hicker-nuts, and my ears full of akerns (acorns).

Got a deer-burger soup going right now. It's smellin' up the house most petunia-ously.

Sniffin'theair'Sticks