New
Find
Notify
Tools

Been a'grindin'
 Login/Join

Factor
posted Hide Post
I once had chili with mutton in it.Pretty good.I think chili works well with meat as has some "character" to it....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
Sticks,,,missus say iffin you use two pounds of meat,make sures you uses two eggs!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Idaho, That's Mrs. Sticks pat way of doin' up deer. To my mind it HAS to be done thataway time to time. She culls out the back straps to herself and woe unto me if I tetch 'em! "That's my FRY MEAT," she says. Some of her meaner moments . . .

'Tooth, I imagine mutton mixed into chili might be tastysome. One thing about chili is that all them spices covers a multitude of sins, taste-wise. You can goof up something, then grab more powders and patch it up right quick. Maybe that's the main reason I want to learn to make it.

'Mike, tell Mrs. Mike I've got about two pounds thawed and two eggs it is! Now if I can figger out how to git all the eggshell-shrapnel back out of the burger. Ever notice that if you don't tap an egg jest right, it'll kinda explode?

Eggfightin'Sticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of LeeRoy
posted Hide Post
Darn, now you have me on the way to the freezer. Burger soup first. Then I will do the meatloaf in a day or two.

LeeRoy

Keep your powder dry.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Nevada | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Doggies, Mrs. Mike! It worked! Jumpin' Jehoshaphat! It all held together, and it'uz MOIST! And mighty flavorsome! Wahoo!

Hmmm . . . somethin' to muse over . . . Just as I was all set to become a deer-chili-expert (known far and wide, no doubt), now I'm thinkin' I should be a deer-meatloaf-expert (the kind that God would wake up at midnight, say, "Sticks ol' boy, you make the best deer meatloaf on your planet.") But as I think deeper, mebbe I should split my personality and diversify . . .

LeeRoy, hurry up and get to your freezer---I need some competition!

Swellheaded'Sticks

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
Picture of Seepwater
posted Hide Post
Well Sticks, you have always been known as a LOAFER....this is just another form!

shoot first ask questions later

Posts: 220 | Location: Lyman, WY....just 6 miles from Ft. Bridger! | Registered: 09 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Sniff . . . Seep' you've figgered me out. Reckon I've been every kind of loafer, 'cept I ain't ever been a MEAT loafer before . . . But mebbe it's time face the truth . . . Who told you anyway? Volie? Windy? Crossfox?---AUDIE (gulp)?!

Now to figger out how to improve the recipe. Make it scrumptiouser and scrumptiouser . . .

Tweakin'meatloaf'Sticks

<mtnmike>
posted
Fiddlesticks, You da man! *high fives* Crack them eggs (gently) on a flat surface 'stead of a corner and yer good to go. AND I want a copy of your new and improved recipe when ya get it down pat. Big Grin Mrs. Mike

Factor
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Mike,

Speaking of 'gettin' the recipe down', my nephew is swallerin' this one down like a bluetick wolfin' cracklin' 'pone. He ain't but 6'3" and I'm gonna have to get out my 10 gauge fowler's wipin' stick to tamp it all down him. He can't say, "Ahhh" for chewin'!

So I'm daresome to do anything to change it. I'll try to brave it, though, and report back in victory or defeat. Thanks for the tip on getting un-shrapnelized eggs . . .

Grateful'Sticks

<mtnmike>
posted
Sticks, you're one in ten million...just glad I could help and it sounds like that youngun has TWO holler legs. Big Grin Mike wants to know if you have a favorite rabbit recipe, since the season is upon us. Thank you!! Mrs. Mike

Booshway
Picture of Idaho Mountainneer
posted Hide Post
I just read an article of a guy huntin' rabbits who made "buffalo" wings out of em. That sounds mighty good. He didn't give a recipe though.

Posts: 330 | Location: Twin Falls ID | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Now then. Y'dress it and quarter it up. Salt'n'pepper it. Git out a skillet and heat'er up good'n hot. Brown the rabbit, remove it from the skillet. Make gravy out of the leavin's. Pour in a can of mushroom soup. Put the the rabbit back in it. Bake it in normal a baking fire till it's meat-fallin'-apart tender. Sit down to the table and have at it. Draw straws for the last piece to keep from fightin'.

If you don't like that you don't belong in the hills. Nuther thing: nail all yer winders and doors shut or the neighbors will be climbin' through . . .

Fiddlesticks

Factor
posted Hide Post
I'll bet them rabbit wings would be larrupin', Idaho. Trouble is in these parts there are more deer than rabbits anymore. Seems so, anyway. Back in the day you could kick a rabbit out from under most any brush pile, clump of sage grass (broom sedge), or brier thicket. Lands a'mercy they were good eatin'! Now there aren't enough to bother huntin' for. Been many a year since we heard the squeal of the beagle 'mongst these ol' hills. Not that I ain't grateful for the deer; there used to be none of them at all. But I surely do miss those cottontails . . .

Don't reckon I care to make them wings out of possums . . .

Downinthedumps'Sticks

<mtnmike>
posted
Sticks, I do well believe yer right...can't wait to try my hand at somethin' I ain't before! Thankee! Mrs Mike

Booshway
posted Hide Post
"Sticks, my wife raises rabbits and I shoot some snowshoes and we cook them the way you described. Season them, brown them and bake them with either mushroom soup or heavy cow cream. Best way for rabbit. Deer hamburger works any where beef hamburger does. Thing with deer or elk is don't overcook it. For meatloaf we mix about a pound of burger and half pound of sausage. Eggs, breadcrumbs and however you like to season it. Last 20 minutes or so in the oven put some barbeque sauce on top. We prefer chili made with lamb or mutton and butcher a couple every year. There's nothing wrong with mutton for those who know how to cook, anyone who doesn't believe that has never been around a sheep camp with a Basque cook. We mostly eat deer and elk.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you eat well, Scoundrel. That cow cream version sounds mighty fine.

Funny you should mention the Basque. I was today thinking of a venison Shepherd's Pie. Obviously they're traditionally mutton (don't know if the Basque did Shepherd's Pies, or not). Seems to me shepherds in Wyoming, etc., would have knocked off a deer/antelope/elk once in a while for a change of diet. Anyhow, I'll likely try it before long.

In these ol' hills Shepherd's Pies are made with beef meatloaf! Druther have the traditional thick stew, myself.

Fiddlesticks

Booshway
posted Hide Post
'Sticks, I ate some shepherds pie in a sheep camp wagon one time but the cook was a Peruvian. It was very good. I once won a dutch oven cook off with shepherds pie.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Wow! Got any hints on the recipe? I'll use venison for the meat and hope western shepherds did the same now and then . . .

I've never seen a real one. Hereabouts they toss down a chunk of beef meatloaf and slop mashed taters'n'gravy on top of it. Don't seem fittin', somehow.

Fiddlesticks

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Cut the meat in chunks, inch-inch and a half or so. Season it to your taste. I use seasoning salt, garlic powder, some slap your mama or other Cajun seasoning, or cayenne. Flour it, brown it. I do this in a cast iron dutch oven. After the meat is browned, and you may have to do a couple batches, take the meat out of the pot and set aside. Mix a couple spoons of flour with some water and put it in with the drippins and make a gravy, it will thicken some as it cooks. You can add a little beef base or bullion for added flavor. Put the meat back in with carrots, onion chunks, celery chunks, some chopped up cloves of garlic, whatever you like in your stew. I put some parsley and thyme in. As the stew gets done Check to see if it has enough salt and Cajun seasoning to taste and mash some potatoes. When I mash potatoes I mash in some sour cream and butter (not margarine, that should be illegal). Glob a layer of mashed potatoes on top of the stew, try to brown them a bit, but they don't brown much. That's about what I can bring to mind as I sit here. Any recipe is just a basic guideline. After you follow a recipe once the adjust for your own taste. Good luck.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Thankee! That helps a lot.

Fiddlesticks