MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Tall Tales    Adventures that test a man's character
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adventures that test a man's character
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
Picture of TrapperGale
posted
Inspired by the adventures, trials and freedom of the Mountain Men "Crossing the Yellowstone" represents both the vastness of the Rockies and the companionship that Free Trappers needed. It also symbolizes the trapper's unfettered freedom to go and do as he pleased.

Being a century out of step is no fun. After reading Crittenden’s “History of the Fur Trade”, also known as the "bible" on the fur trade, I knew I had been born a hundred and fifty years too late. His narrative stirred within me a desire to see the elephant, as the Mountain Men called going out to the “Shining Mountains.” Those Rocky Mountains held a wealth of furs more valuable than precious metals or black gold. They also held one more thing – adventure, the kind of adventure that tests a man’s character, a man’s strength and a man’s courage. Their vastness allowed a man to go in any direction unhampered by the rules of men. A man was truly free. That’s what I wanted and could not have.

Thru my art I try and tell the story of the men and women that were... their lives, their adventures and the beauty of this land.

Crossing the Yellowston

Posts: 7 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 19 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Welcome.
I like your art work. I, too, enjoy painting. I do landscapes of more modern scenes, although I have been contemplating doing one of historical character.
Part of your handle intrigues me. Gale. My Mother's maiden name was Gale. Also, there was a real mountain man brigade leader by the name of Samuel Gale. If I recall correctly he retired from trapping and settled in Oregon.

But from your signature on your art work, it appears that your first name is Gale.

I have a Samuel Gale in my family line, and he lived in the same time period as the trapper Sam Gale, however my ancestor was a brick mason in New Jersey at that time.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of TrapperGale
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

My handle is what I thought was a clever play on my name - Gale Trapp, and there are many who refer to me as Trapper.

I would have loved to have been a mountain man and related to Sam Gale, but alas... no.

Posts: 7 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 19 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post