New
Find
Notify
Tools

watched a Killdeer today
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
just happened to stewp outside the office today n a couple Killdeer were getting aquainted. It amazing how bright n beautiful the under wing n tail feathers are when they flash them, don't know if it was the male or female(they look alike from a distance) but one would jump ahead or to one side of the other n hunker down n spread its wings n tail. They are a gorgeous russet orange color with black n white stripes, really jump out at ya compared to the plain Jane tannish color they are. This went on for 5 or 6 minutes. Its fun to as they nest right around our building every year n we get to see them do the broken wing flopping distraction thing to draw you away from the nest. Some years we never do find the nest its so well cammoed. Usually we try n find n mark it so nobody steps on it, just a couple boards or stones around it as a warning to other guys in the area. Really kool to see

Posts: 964 | Location: south eastern Pa | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Birdman,
Haven't seen any killdeer yet but have seen a few sand hill cranes and blue heron the last couple of weeks. Thet have been finding morals the las few days. That's 3 -5 weeks to early.

Big Lee

Posts: 46 | Location: PawPaw,Mi | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Birdman always good to read your observations. I saw a kingfisher on a wire the other day. Made me think of the creek by my grandparents house when I was a lot younger. Saw a red fox out the road late this afternoon. Fox are a sorry sight this time of year 'till next fall. All flat. Nieghbor saw a bobcat down the road a couple days ago. I have never saw a bobcat in the woods yet. Ya'll gonna think I'm crazy but the mrs and I saw a mountain lion a couple of years ago. Ran right across the road in front of us. I know what I saw. Right here in the middle of Pennsyltucky.

I never have been much for drinking the kool-aid.It's not in my nature.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I've seen quite a few bobcats in the woods (and killed a couple with my ML) but never, ever have seen a lion in the woods. I have no doubt the odd one shows up here and there and I expect sightings to become more frequent in the coming years as the population increases and they reestablish their traditional range. That would please me to no end.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
just as long as they don't come around with that "yep he looks tastey look" don't think I would want to tangle with a cat that size hehehe, they got to dang many weapons LOL doesn't surprise me a bit ya saw one, game commision denys they exist but way to many sightings, sorta like the yote sightings from 10 or 15 years ago. OH they don't exist around here!! YEA RIGHT HEHEHE

Posts: 964 | Location: south eastern Pa | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post