Find
Notify
Tools

two pistols
 Login/Join

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted
Okay, I know this is a little late for this discussion page, buuuut...
Ms. Audrey and I were watching TRUE GRIT on dvd the other night. Yes... the one with John Wayne as Rooster Cogburn. If you remember the girl's father had a cap and ball revolver that he liked to carry tucked in his waistband. He said that it had worked so well at Chicamaga that he prefered it to the later colt cartridge pistols. It was called a dragoon by several persons in the movie, including the Duke himself. Now I have handled both dragoons and Walkers myself and I affirm that the revolver was a Colt Walker. Does anyone else agree? Please don't tell me you haven't seen TRUE GRIT...

Then the next night we were watching MONK on dvd and a revolver was mentioned that raised my eyebrows a little. It was called a Ruger .454 Casull. And they were able to tell that it was one by the bullit extracted from a planter after it had gone through the chest and back of a man and the wood backed chair he was seated in.
Two things: I don't think Ruger has ever made the Casull. They don´t have a frame long enough. Can anyone set me straight on this? Also, since the Casull can fire a .45 long Colt it would be impossible to tell the bullet was from a Casull without having the revolver and comparing rifling. Am I right?
León Hombre del Bosque

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hey Volat,i'm no expert but you are right about true grit,that is a walker,and t. cheney took 2 rounds from it and still had to shot by the duke,there is another reference about a ruger 454 in the movie harley davidson and the marlblo man,that pistol did not even look like a ruger,but it had a good tag line as mickey rourke (sp) was loading it,"buck 50,buck 50,buck 50,talking about the cost of the bullets

Posts: 334 | Location: s central pa just about nowhere | Registered: 21 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Idaho Mountainneer
posted Hide Post
I have a colt walker and can affirm that is what is in True Grit

Posts: 330 | Location: Twin Falls ID | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the confirmation.
Chuckles, there was a considerable amount of time between his first body wound and the second, and he was still on his feet. reminds me of the movie about the japonese warlord who would no longer disgrace himself by using firearms. He had a pair of .58 miniballs, one through each lung and he was still on his knees. Tom cruise had to hand him his sword to finish himself off. Somehow I would have thought the first one would have done the job.

I think by now the counting would go like: ten bucks, ten bucks, ten bucks...hee, hee, hee.

Idaho, Would a teenage girl lose her grip on that walker? At least that was realistic. Didn't you like how she blamed the duke for the misfire down be the creek. huh, huh?
hombre del Bosque

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
It depends on how heavily it was loaded. It really doesn't kick that hard due to the fact that it is so heavy. I just wonder how she would point the thing.
In the book "True Grit" if I remember correctly, Rooster Cogburn loads the girls gun while he is drunk, must've forgot the powder. Anyone here ever done that, hehe

Posts: 330 | Location: Twin Falls ID | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Idaho,
did I ever forget the powder? Yes.
Did I ever load a ML while drunk. No. I quit drinking before starting to play with MLers.
Ji, Ji!!
León

pistuo deo lalo

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure they used a 3rd model Dragoon in the recent version.

Posts: 129 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I've forgot powder but seeing as how I've never drank it was from pure forgetfulness.

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Shosone,
¿¿¿There's a new version of TRUE GRIT????
León

pistuo deo lalo

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
I know it would be considered sacrilege and reason for hanging in some places but I thought the new one was better than the old one. At least they filmed it in places that look like Arkansas and Oklahoma and not Ourey Colorado.

Posts: 129 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
When did it come out and who is in it? I have no loyalties so it won't matter to me, hee, hee.
León

pistuo deo lalo

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Gosh, Volie, yer fallin' fer behind in movie knowledge being in a ferrin country!

The New "TRUE GRIT" stars Jeff Bridges as Deputy Marshall Rooster Cogburn.

The original movie had a Walker Colt Dragoon and the re-make does look like either a 2nd or 3rd model Dragoon. I didn't get a good enough look at the cylinder to be sure which it is.

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of AK Mike
posted Hide Post
You can never improve on the original! Eeker

Posts: 66 | Location: Big Lake, Alaska | Registered: 26 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I meant to do this before but didn't get it done until now. I went to Ruger.com/catalogue. Guess what! They chamber the Super Redhawk in .454 Casull. The Super Black Hawk, however is still only .44 Mag.
I would think that the Super Redhawk would be a real handful in that caliber.
Hombre del Bosque

pistuo deo lalo