New
Find
Notify
Tools

GOD SAVE WALES
 Login/Join

Factor
posted
Today is Saint David's Day!, and he is like St. Patrick ONLY he took Christianity to the Welsh, while Patrick took Christianity to the Irish.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Thank you Dave! I learn something new every day around this place! I actually clicked onto your post to correct your spelling! Wales\Whales Smiler Pretty sure the Good Lord looks after those big critters too!

Posts: 197 | Registered: 15 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
On another related note, I was shopping today for a good lean corned beef for St. Patty's Day. I wonder what table fare the Welsh pick for their special day?

Factor
posted Hide Post
Breakfast
Buttermilk Pancakes
Glamorgan Sausage (cheese, eggs, breadcrumbs in a sausage shape)
Welsh Rarebit
Welsh meatballs

Luncheon
Potato cakes with...,
Sautéed or baked Trout.

or "Minute potatoes" which is a stew with potatoes, veggies, and bacon...,
or a Shepherd's pie made with lamb

Tea
Welsh "speckled bread"
Welsh Cakes

Supper
Leek soup
Cockles (type of ocean shellfish)
"Cawl" which is lamb stew with leeks, if you make it with potatoes and carrots you have Lobscouse
If not stew or fish, then roast lamb

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Cockles are a had shell clam. their shell is also corrugated rather than smooth. The cockle is a very tough clam so we always ground them up for chowder.

They are often found on gravely or more rocky beaches and can often by raked up rather than dug because they don't dig as deep as the clams on more sandy beaches.

The razor clams of the Washington coast can dig deep and fast. They live in the fine sandy beaches where a clam gun or shovel can be used. the cockles we dug in Alaska could dig fast but often times the rockier beach would slow them down. We always dug them with a shovel but I did see a few people use a rake.

One time while I was in high school, a friend and I dug them with a coffee can we found on the beach. I love clam Chowder and it doesn't matter what clams are used in it.

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Great topic,even if I did click on it to find out what ocean mammals had to do with our hobby....Heh.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Well boartooth, there was a time when those big harpoon guns were loaded up with black powder. Big Grin Just sayin......

Factor
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm.......

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
St. Patrick chased all the snakes out of Ireland, too. That's how we get our Presidents.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post