New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hi-Ho Silver---awaaaaaay!
 Login/Join

Factor
posted
Got me a mountain bike. Don't have to feed 'em. The porch makes a good stable. They're good to stay where you tie 'em and they don't fight the rope nor kick in the hobbles.

Gray colored. Wanted to name it "Trigger", but it's closer to silver than gold (palomino). Closer to matching "Bullet", but that's a dog. Can't ride a dog. Don't aim to pull a sled with it . . .

You can climb mountains with 'em. They say. I can already ride it up a slight incline. And on level ground I don't have to go in 1st gear (of 18) anymore.

Was riding by a house t'other day. A guy on the porch yelled, "Now THAT'S funny!" I yelled back, "I look like a turnip sittin' on a noodle!" Then I asked for his prayers . . .

Proud of my new pet. I hope we get along . . .

Peddlin'Sticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
It'll all be fine doings until ya get a left pant cuff caught up in tha chain! Or, ya hit tha front brakes too hard 'n' go arseoverteakettle!!

It took me awhile to quit laughing at tha thought of your "turnip riding a noodle" description!

Got 38 yards of sand today to spread in the roundpen, so guess I better git to work!

Don't bark yor shins onna runaway peddles!!

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah,that's a funny mental picture,but I ain't gonna laugh too hard,I'd look like a turnip onna noodle too....!

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
'Tooth, ye hafta watch that Crossfox. Today he called down here to these ol' Ozarks from up yonder in them Bitter-Roots. Let on as to how I needed one o' those silly lookin' little helmets they try to sell ye these days. Pshaw! Recently I saw a bunch o' them city goomers in DC cyclin' around in stripe-ity skin tight britches, and helmets that looked like armadillo shells scrunched down on their heads and tied under their chins. Seen the same thing in Milwaukee right after that. Nary a buckskin among 'em. Made my skin crawl. Wouldn't be caught dead in such a git-up. I'll wear my Cheesehead if the Packers make the play-offs but I won't wear nothin' silly lookin'!

Toothgritted'Stcks

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
It's still a scary picture,,Fiddles on a bike jezzze!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
'Schticks,
It is a great way to travel. I have my 18 speed Fuji road bike here now. It is a real kidney shaker and spinal disk destroyer on these rock roads. Them skinny tires would better be replaced by something 3 inches wide that run at low pressure so they can bridge them stones without shaking me apart.
El León

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deercop
posted Hide Post
Sticks, a couple years ago I was riding a bike in a town that had a mandatory helmet law (I didn't know. Cost me $50).
I found me one of those WWI German helmets with the spike on top. Wore it the rest of the time I was there..B-)

Posts: 649 | Location: Clovis, New Mexico | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Just took ol' Silver a'lopin' down the road. How come I was doin' all the huffin'-n-puffin' when we got back? Silver didn't break a sweat. Am I misunderstanding somethin' . . . . ?

'Cop, that must've been a sight. Don't know if such is the law here, or not---it ain't for the motorcyclers. I walk at 2 mph and ride my bike at 3. Gives me time to duck'n'roll if I sloooooly teeter over. Push comes to shove I'll wrap my Cheesehead on my noggin with a buckskin whang. Beats lookin' silly like the rest of 'em . . .

'Mike, I'm careful not to show myself in public. Don't want to embarrass ol' Silver . . .

Grew up on nearly all dirt roads, Volie. Only 2 paved roads in the county. Much different now. I'd like to see a pic of you negotiating along, but I wouldn't want you to see me. What few folk who've seen me have kindly looked away . . .

Moppin'sweat'Sticks

Factor
posted Hide Post
I'm tryin' ta come up with somethin' witty to say,but I can't stop laughing long enough!

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Ol' Silver is out on the porch nickerin' for me now. Must be time for my ride. Hi-ho! Silver!---Awaaaaaaay!!!

Charleyhorse'Sticks

Booshway
posted Hide Post
fiddlesticks in spandex? what a vision! they sayy ol' davy crocket useta grin critters right into th' pot; betcha hysterics'd make 'em just as easy to bag. anybody got a recipe fer gigglin' squirrel?
mind yer topknots!
windy

Posts: 487 | Location: wetside o' washington | Registered: 14 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Span-what? (I noticed you had a perposity for big words that day we were eating lunch and smart mouthin' Ol' White Hair behind his back.) Must be a fancy-pants name fer them skin-tight britches. Kinda girly looking to me. Reckon that's on purpose? Some of 'em have racing stripes and such on 'em---like it'll make 'em go faster . . .

I'll stick to my overalls and cheesehead so's I'll blend into the crowd better. Too bashful to wanna be much noticed . . .

Meltingintothebackground'Sticks

Graybeard
Picture of Seepwater
posted Hide Post
A hundred pounds ago I use to ride. Once took a pedal from IL to the Gulf and back. Took me six days.

Now that I'm gravity enhanced, I don't ride but still have a bike. It would be nice to get back to it but I doubt I'll ever do touring again...too old, too fat, too out of shape!

shoot first ask questions later

Posts: 220 | Location: Lyman, WY....just 6 miles from Ft. Bridger! | Registered: 09 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Gravity enhanced??!!Boy,you do like them fancy words,don't ya?My wife just says I'm fat,an' she's right,sigh.....

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I have bike too, it looks real nice sitting in the shed. Nice blue color. Someday I might even try to ride it.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Lord knows a cheese head wouldn't be silly lookin'. I wonder if you have those padded shorts under your overhauls.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Jehoshaphat! What a ride Seepwater! Makes me huff'n'puff to think about it. And makes me wish I'd done something like that. It'd be neat to hear more . . .

Figgered out something. Ol' Silver's stirrups were too short. Ya don't ride a mountain bike like a jockey. Can't get much oomph on the down stroke when your knees are nearly under your chin. One knee at a time, o' course---t'other'n is nearly to the ground. Every time I mounted up it was kinda like them ol' John Deere 'johnny poppers' starting up: pop . . . pop . . . poppity-pop . . . pop . . . pop . . . poppity-pop-pop-pop . . . pop . . . pop-pop, pop, popopopopop popopopop---only it's my bones making the sounds . . .
So I heisted the seat up a smidgeon. Don't care for heisting my backside with it, but at least now I'm riding more like Silver deserves. 'Course it lowers my noggin a mite to where I'd batter-ram a tree if Silver ran off the road with me, but my cheesehead would soften the blow some.

Hey Scoundrel, I hadn't heard of them padded under-drawers. Wisht for some a time to two when I was fixin' to take a lickin' from the teacher while coming up in school. Was ready once, when a I knew a lickin' was coming the next day and put on six pairs of shorts. The paddle went, "Flump, flump, flump!" Teacher might've wondered some when I walked away grinnin'. Howsomever, these days I got all the paddin' I need---natural growed . . .

Figgerin'itout'Sticks

Graybeard
Picture of Seepwater
posted Hide Post
Oh, I have stories from that trek! When I get a few minutes I'll write 'em up for ya.

shoot first ask questions later

Posts: 220 | Location: Lyman, WY....just 6 miles from Ft. Bridger! | Registered: 09 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Fiddlesticks,If I was a taxidermist, I would make you a helmet out of one of our road kill armadillos. I think leaving the head and tail on would get you more in the buckskinnin persona as you ride your new stead.
Dutch

Posts: 79 | Location: Yellville,Ar | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Seepwater,you might wanna keep yore tale-tellin' on the mild side,Ive heerd rumor that Ole Fiddlesticks is a preacher man,he might tell The Lord what you been up to....Get you in hot water.... Big Grin Course the rest of us would be happy to hear whatever you been up to....