Find
Notify
Tools

A Sad Day
 Login/Join

Free Trapper
Picture of Pvt. Potts
posted
Yesterday was a sad day at our house. Nicholas Woofgang Peters, the fearless Arkansas Flying Possum Dog, was laid to rest. He could no longer catch his breath and his great heart was giving out so, we took him to the vet where he was gently and peacefully put to sleep in my arms. There were many tears shed (in fact, there are some suspicious wet spots on my keyboard, now!) but it was all for the best. I know some people would say "It's just a dog" but this was my furry, four-legged son and I miss him already. I'm sorry to bring down the tone of this site but they a burden shared is a burden lessened. Thank you all for letting me unburden myself. Thank God for friends.

"I sometimes wonder if the world is run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it?."

Posts: 176 | Location: The Wilds of Central Iowa | Registered: 20 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Newoodsrunner
posted Hide Post
Pvt Potts you have my condolances i too had to put my best friend down last Nov she had cancer and i didn't want her to suffer any longer i still wake up and carefully get out of bed thinking she is still laying there by the bed take care my friend we are here for you

Posts: 461 | Location: SW Okla | Registered: 02 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Pvt my dogs would be like my kids if I had any, just have an extra set a legs n a tail is all, if ya listen n pay attention they talk to ya n ask questions all the time, WE just have to be smart enough to listen, I've also lost friends(dogs) over the years and yes it hurts A LOT my condolences my friend, best way to think of it is when we finally cross over that bridge to the other side hopefully they will all be there waiting, yipping n tails wagging just like when we walked in the house before, sure hope so anyways YMHS Birdman

Posts: 964 | Location: south eastern Pa | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hiya Pvt.Potts,

Our condolences on your loss.

Our Alaskan Husky daughterdog of 13yrs died in my arms the morning of January 17th and to add more loss my old sleddog husky of 16yrs died the next day in the afternoon. We still have one old sleddog left, Khalli will be 15yrs old in April and our Alaska Malemute, Eklutsik, is 11yrs.

It always tears at your heart to lose such good companions and friends. May you always have good memories of your sondog.

Regards, xfox

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Pvt.Potts,
Sorry to hear of your loss.
Dogs ( and cats, I guess...) make excellent family members.
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your loss.
I know how you are feeling.
Been there.

Don

Posts: 154 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: 08 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
Pvt.,
My condolences. I've only been with one dog when we had to put her down, and it broke our hearts. I tend to think of "heaven" as just our fear of death, but I'd sure like to see her again.

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Pvt.Potts I am sorry to hear about the loss of your friend and family member. I have shared that loss but also the wonderful memories of all that I have shared with my dog family members. They give so freely and love so much. My family's prayers are with you and your family.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of NWTF Longhunter
posted Hide Post
Goodby from your friend

If it should be that I grow weak,
and pain should keep me from my sleep;
Then you must do what must be done,
for this last battle can't be won.

You will be sad, I understand;
but don't let grief then stay your hand.
For this day more than all the rest,
your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years;
what is to come can hold no fears.
You don't want me to suffer so...
the time has come, please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend,
but please stay with me 'til the end.
To hold me close and speak to me,
until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree,
it was a kindness done for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
from pain and suffering I am saved.

Please do not grieve that it was you
who had this painful thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years;
don't let your heart hold any tears.

Posts: 797 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 29 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deercop
posted Hide Post
My condolences for your loss. I too, have been there. The loss of our 4 legged family members leave a hole in our lives way out of proportion to their actual physical size.

Posts: 649 | Location: Clovis, New Mexico | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deadeye
posted Hide Post
Pvt.Potts, Such great little souls passing is truly sad but the reunion is even greater.
I think of all the four legged family members I've had and do miss them all, cheer up fellow and know Nicholas loves & misses you just as much and is romping around and waiting for you.

Posts: 1452 | Location: Good Ole USA of course! | Registered: 15 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Newoodsrunner
posted Hide Post
NWTF what a beautful poem it brought a tear to my eyes because i to have recently lost my Josie and that poem i see in a whole differant light that we both miss each other but one of us is not suffering anymore thank you my Friend

Posts: 461 | Location: SW Okla | Registered: 02 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss. I've been in the exact same situation myself and words can't express the hurt and sorrow felt. Hold on to the good memories and treasure them. In our home our pets are family. We give them the best life we possibly can and are paid back a thousand times over with their companionship and unconditional love. Best regards. Rockerhound

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of Pvt. Potts
posted Hide Post
Longhunter, Thanks for the beautiful poem. Nick had 22 years on this planet, 18 of them with us after we adopted him from the pound. I only hope he enjoyed them as much as we did. Thanks again to all of you.

"I sometimes wonder if the world is run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it?."

Posts: 176 | Location: The Wilds of Central Iowa | Registered: 20 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Will Ghormley
posted Hide Post
Condolences on your loss there Pvt. Potts. But if anything can sooth and achy heart, it would be NWTF poem.

Will

"When Liberty is illegal, only outlaws will be free." Will Ghormley

In 1913, the gold and silver backed dollar was worth a dollar. Today, that same greenback is worth 3 cents. In just under 100 years, the Federal Reserve Bank has made the dollar virtually worthless. Will Ghormley

"Exploit your strengths. Compensate for your weaknesses." Will Ghormley

Posts: 657 | Location: Ankeny, Iowa | Registered: 28 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Pvt. Potts, losing a loving dog is much like losing a child that never grows up. I empathize with you. Treasure the time you had together. I still morn my Basset, Micky, who I had to let go a year and a half ago. You have my condolences.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Here's to our four legged friends whose love is everlasting and unconditional,as is our for them .If only people could be so true of heart and soul, I once asked my grandad many decades ago after loosing my first four legged love, "why don't puppies live forever?"and he simply said "but they do, only now he lives in your heart and in your memories as do you in his untill you are united again to run through the fields and splash along the creeks together forever" the quotes may not be exact but are as best as my memory can provide.

Posts: 272 | Registered: 12 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Private Potts,
My condolences.

Grief is still near the surface in my heart, as I had to put down a 14 year golden retriever companion the day after Christmas.

Sparks

"I thought when you said you chased tornadoes, it was just a metaphor."
--soon to be ex-fiance in Twister

Posts: 247 | Location: Boise | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
God Almighty fellows. I first read this post a few days ago when first posted and I have to admit I couldn't finish reading thru them. Dogs just have a way of getting to ya. My heart goes out to all that have lost a best friend. If I might try to lighten it a bit--- Ya know the difference between a puppy and a truckdriver? A puppy quits whinning after six months. A good evening to all and weekend what's left of it.

I never have been much for drinking the kool-aid.It's not in my nature.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post