Find
Notify
Tools

Surprised with Deer
 Login/Join

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted
A couple nights ago just at dusk I happen to look out the front window of the house. And what did I see? right across the street in a neighbor's yard was a gaggle (or whatever) of deer. They were scampering around like squirrels and difficult to count but there were at least 7 of them. And with them was - at the time I thought it was a goat - an albino deer. There seem to be a number of them in our area. I went outside and tried to take pictures with my little camera but was so amazed I neglected to use the zoom. Another neighbor with kids were out there but the deer seemed mostly unconcerned. After a bit they moved to the house next door and eventually moseyed away.

Deer are common sights in our neighborhood. They frequent our backyard and often congregate in the street in front (foxes in the yards, too). First time I've seen this many with an albino in tow. Cool experience.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Hanshi - Albino deer ar not something you see every day , but more common than you would think . A former farmer friend of mine has watched one for the last several years and all of us are surprised that it has survived the hunting seasons . Being mostly a white color sure makes them easy to see .

Rupe

Posts: 27 | Location: NW Pennsylvania | Registered: 04 October 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Rupe, I've seen a number of "piebald" deer back when I lived in Ga. A piebald can look like anything from a pinto pony to virtually fully white. Difference is a piebald will usually have at least a tiny bit of color somewhere on it's body. May be only the tip of the tail or a bit on it's face. I saw one once that was pure white but had a patch of brown on the head. Such a deer even pure white wouldn't have the pink eyes of an albino, of course. I think the one I saw the other evening was maybe the first actual albino I've seen in the wild. I've always let piebald deer walk and never killed one.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I saw one of those piebald deer years ago in southern New Jersey. At first I thought it was a pony loose in the woods.

In some states they are fully protected, and in others they are fair game. Be sure of your local laws.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Congrats on seeing one Hanshi! I've always wanted to see an albino. There's an albino muley doe not far from here that several people I know have seen. I've looked for her but no luck yet. I always have deer in my yard too. Cleaning up their droppings is a pain!

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Posts: 212 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post