New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let The Panic Begin!
 Login/Join

Factor
posted
So a Nor' Easter is headed East and will swing North East up the Applachians, expecting to get 8" of snow in Central Maryland, and DC, with 12" in New York City.

Well down here we don't invest in large snow plows with a V shape, but use the much smaller concave type as we don't often get more than 4" per snowfall, and some years we don't get snow. Of course due to global warming the government folks thought we were headed into a period of little if any snow..., so EGAD we sure aren't prepared. The last big snow here was called "Snomageddon".

People are freakin' out, buying all the TP, Milk, and Bread they can get their hands on.

I, and the rest of my fellow living history folks in the area, don't sweat this at all. Even if my generator failed, I have backups, and additional methods for survival, including cooking over a fire in the back yard. Plenty of Dutch Ovens, and charcoal fuel, some coal as well, and heck there is a wooded park 1/2 mile away if I really need firewood for the fireplace.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
The colder the temperatures the lighter the snow,,so it moves easy.We get alittle snow here in Central Maine and the temperature gets chillie,but that is winter for you. Cant understand why/how people set back then panic about an "emergency" think they would be more prepared!!!Yet "modern" people,,if the X Box or Cell Phone goes out,,shear and utter panic.If we get snow today it will light and fluffie it was - 4 degrees this AM at 0700 and going up to 17 by noon,,,maybe!!!
I was stationed in DC and it appeared that just as soon as the word come out it was going to snow,people started to practice driving stupid and going faster to get somewhere before they had an accident,,,ha ha ha This snow will not be in the way for the 4th of July picnics.
I like it to when you see on the News that the weather caused an accident,,,if the weather is poor ,,,slow down ,,stay home, be more careful.You see people still going 55/65 mph on ice and limited visability then have a wreck and blame it on the weather,,like blaming a pencil for mispelling a word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Does that mean I can put the sun screen up...Smiler

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I live in the woods in NW Pennsylvania just a little bit South of Lake Erie. Our winters are long and somewhat unpredictable at times. When the winds and the temps are just right, it's not uncommon for us to get a foot plus in a day/evening. Two years ago during one lake effect storm, we received 42 inches. My sister, who lives with her husband in a retirement complex near Pittsburgh, gets all sweaty and goes white knuckled when the forecast predicts a couple of inches. When it snows you deal with it, don't panic, adjust and life goes on. Even during the worst weather, we still have heat, water and shelter and pantries that are not bare. We relax, look forward to the new season and think "turkey" !!

Waitin fer Spring Rupe

Posts: 467 | Location: NW Pennsylvania | Registered: 20 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Miz Gabi
posted Hide Post
Dave you guys are such light weights!! We have had 50" of snow so far this year!! It's 2 degrees this morning...but the sun is out and who needs those little hairs in your nose that freeze when you breath anyhow?

hugs , Miz G

Posts: 780 | Location: tropical mid-michigan | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Miz Gabi lol it was cold hear yesterday the low was 26 and the high was 40......Smiler

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Miz Gabby..LOL! Those little hairs direct my liquid "brains" when they run Out!
A Mans gotta be proud of somethin!Ha!
Ya'll kinda soft out east!
The wife signed up for ballroom dancing...to keep the peace she got a Yes!
last Tue evening we were in the middle of whiteout conditions at the start of the class...our dance partners called and said If I can drive so can you...My reply..."Good for You!"
This world needs more common sense.
Had one fatality in the county due to driving conditions that night. the "somba" can wait!
Some people????????

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fowl,

Posts: 122 | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
B Stanley, got an ol Navy buddy lives up in Cedar Bluff, AL said it got cold so he went to Florida till it warms back up!!!!!!
And that dog saying,,unlike a wife/girlfriend,,the later you get home the happier they are to see you....

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
We don't worry too much about winter weather, it comes every year. It ain't cold till your nose feels like it wants to stick together. Like Walking Crow says, cold snow plows easy, gets heavy and sticky as it warms. Bring some more wood up on the porch and relax. I put chains on my 4 wheeler and as long as I keep up with it don't have any problems, We have had very little snow so far this year. I want some.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Scoundrel..

Just need a shipping address!!!
I'll send it C.O.D.--Yuk-Yuk!!!

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I know it seems ridiculous to want snow, but we need a good snow pack for the health of our environment, trees, huckleberries, water in creeks and rivers, and my well. And we just haven't had it last year and so far this year. In a good year we'll have about three or more feet of snow on the level at our place and this year the most we've had is 7 inches. Heavy snow early makes a good snow pack which lasts and melts slowly and late snow just goes away quick and doesn't do as much good. We need several feet of good snow pack in the mountains. I'm getting concerned.

<mtnmike>
posted
It makes me wonder Roll Eyes What are they going to do IF bad weather, etc,does come? See a lot of folk when I do go into town,flimsy shoes,light jacket/coat,and they are raising cane about cold temps an snow,,well duh Razzer

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Scoundrel...I hear Ya!
We went through what you are currently having 1 year ago....
wet spring..hot dry summer-fall little snow...trees stressed bad..bad forage crop for the critters.....Hope you have a white-snowy second half on Jan-Feb.
Espcially for your well.

Hivernant
Picture of Willis Creek
posted Hide Post
Those of us in the southern Rockies can start getting nervous now because so far we haven't had much winter. Only 54" of snow so far. Serious drought conditions here. In Colorado no snow - no water.

"touch not the cat without a glove"
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Posts: 143 | Location: South of the Arkansas, on the slopes of St. Charles Peak, Colorado territory | Registered: 25 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Last I had heard we were at 90" snowfall on the season. That shoveling was sure getting tiresome. Last week or so have been warm though, even into the melting stage. A lot of the snow has settled and now things are covered in 3-4" glare ice. Hard to deal with that! Starting to cool off again now.
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I know, I delight in very cold temps here, for example it got down to 4 last night, and snow. The snow is great for the water table, and the really cold snaps (this is the second) with warmer snaps in between really mess with the pest insects come the spring...AND I stayed home today as I didn't need to dodge cars sliding on the way to work... building a gun storage location at the moment..

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Dave, I always enjoyed being snowed in. If you can't get out then you don't have to feel guilty about staying home. It's another vacation.

<mtnmike>
posted
I spent the day trying to thaw out the springhouse, man that thing froze!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I was up in New Jersey attending a funeral. The blizzard hit while we were at the cemetery. The snow piled up fast!

I hadn't been in much snow since I moved south from Michigan back in 2000, but being yankee born and raised, it all came quickly came back to me. I didn't have any problem with driving in the snow. I can't say the same for some others, though. Driving back to the house was awful slow due to some folks who apparently thought it best to just crawl along.

Coming home to Tennessee yesterday, there was snow all the way down to southern Virginia, but I was out of it by the time I reached the TN/VA line.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post