New
Find
Notify
Tools

'Nother Year Passes......
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
New Years Eve was a non-event around this here part of the country. Heard a few bangers go off just before midnight, but they were off in the distance.

I was sitting next to the woodstove, reading, when midnight struck, signaling to me that it was time to make the last hay feeding of the night for the horses.

Everyone seems to know about Hugh Glass and his bear incident, as well as, Jedidiah Smith's run in with a bear.

Howsomever, did you know that there were nearly 80 other mountain man vs bear incidents in the West and Rocky's between 1805 to 1857? Not thet many of ya, huh.....Thet is what I thought!

Ya'll need to pick up a copy of MOUNTAIN MAN & GRIZZLY by Fred R. Gowams, published by MOUNTAIN GRIZZLY PUBLICATIONS, Orem, Utah, 1992. It is a good, comprehensive, write up about the little known man vs bear accounts of the Fur Trade Era.

Well, that is how I celibrated the coming New Year of 2023's arrival!

Hope ya'll are warm and safe!

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Well, I woke up to one gun shot (?) at midnight, had to remember what the fuss was about. I imagine that there were lots of interactions between Grizzlies and people, not just the mountain men. Sounds like a good book. One of the guys I worked with, and was in the Alaska National Guard with, was in the news a couple of years ago. He is a surveyor and was working up around Glenallen (Alaska) when he ran into a grizzly. She didn't do his looks any good, but he survived. Al Minish.
Hope everyone has a great 2023. Stay safe and keep away from those bears!
~Kees~

Posts: 70 | Registered: 07 January 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Heh, the gunfire started 'bout sundown here, and didn't taper off 'till after midnight. Lots of VERY expensive ammo burned off around here. go figure....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
There was a spate of popping & booming but it was a fair ways off. I honestly experienced nothing that was different from any other day. It was a gift just like any day one wakes up in. Seems like it was 2022 only just a few days ago. Big Grin

I do wish a great and fine new year for all you guys.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of JoeM
posted Hide Post
Hope everyone had / and has a Happy New Year!

Ohio Joe / Chadron Fur Trade Days

Posts: 69 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 05 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Winterhawk,

I lived out in the Bush 82 miles north of Glenallen for 17 years (48 years in AK). I seem to recall Al's runin, but not sure if it was before or after I moved out of state in '14. Had a neighbor go over to my homestead summer of '14 to get some nails and was attacked by a 3yo next to the shop cabin. He survived with some scarring.

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crossfox:
Winterhawk,

I lived out in the Bush 82 miles north of Glenallen for 17 years (48 years in AK). I seem to recall Al's runin, but not sure if it was before or after I moved out of state in '14. Had a neighbor go over to my homestead summer of '14 to get some nails and was attacked by a 3yo next to the shop cabin. He survived with some scarring.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I know you must mean BEAR; because I haven't yet met a 3yo kid I couldn't knockout after a minute or so into the fight.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Regards, xfox

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Ya, I think I'm still good to fight off a 3 year old child.....Might be hard tho.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Crossfox, Al's run in was just two years or so ago. It was all over the news.

I only have 28 years in Alaska. Never meant to leave, but things went South and we did too....

~Kees~

Posts: 70 | Registered: 07 January 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post