New
Find
Notify
Tools

Summer Fades Away
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
In some parts of the country as leaves begin to color and the temps lower at night.

We are enjoying the cooler daytime temps while working with our 3 year old Rocky Mountain filly and our 5 year old mustang. Both are coming along well learning what it takes to be a horse and interact with humans. Gaining the trust of the mustang was a year long exercise in learning a whole new meaning to patience.

So......how was your summer......did you get to any rondy's, go on a trek, trip by canoe in period dress, try out an ol'timey recipe, travel by horseback (mules accepted), make some new period clothes?

Now is the time to share, so don't be shy, fill us in on your adventures in life!!

Keep an eye to the ridgeline......'n' spin a yarn or two!

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Up here in Maine nights are very cool and days are balmy in the low 60s to low 70s. A bit of color is beginning to creep into the leaves. In my native Georgia it's still getting up near 100 degrees and very humid. It's getting about time for me to check out the area I hope to hunt. Got plenty of tick spray for my clothes and I guess that's important around the country.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Yea! A new thread.
The awful heat and drought continues here in southeast Tenasi. Temperatures in the upper 90's. No rain for weeks. Everything is extremely dry. Leaves are turning yellow and brown, curling up, and falling already. Fire danger is high. This will not be a pretty autumn in this area.
Went to Florida in the late spring. Then to Michigan in early summer. Visited friends and relatives.
Fishing has been poor locally.
Because of the heat I have not been out in the woods much. However, my "local" deer blind is ready and the deer sign in the area is plentiful. That blind is only 1/4 mile from my house.
A friend reports that wild hogs have destroyed his small soybean crop that he had planted for deer. He has a trail cam picture of 14 hogs in one picture. However, now the soybeans are gone and so are the pigs.
Did some practice with my .50 percussion longrifle. All is good. Plan to do some flintlock smoothbore shooting later today.

Hey, probably not appropriate for this forum, but I have been unable to get a definite answer elsewhere, so I will ask the question here.
Is the .45-120 Sharps 3 1/4" straight wall cartridge case the same case as the .450 Black Powder Express that is also a 3 1/4" straight wall cartridge?
I need to know for reloading purposes.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
How does your .50 work on hogs? Might be a good way to practice for deer season.

Part Man, Part Critter
Born under the watch of the Great Spirit

Posts: 71 | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Georgia is still burning up - hot as usual in other words. Nice upa here but soon the snow shovel will be getting a workout.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Sure the .50 can handle hogs. Here in Tenasi a .50 percussion rifle is often referred to as a "hog rifle".

Played around with the flintlock smoothbore yesterday for a couple of hours in spite of the heat. Tried different combinations of patched ball and naked ball, and with and without card and fiber wads.

My particular .62 fowler seems to prefer 70 grs. of 3F under a .600 round ball with a thick patch to make for a tight fit in the bore. No wads. With that load I was getting 4 - 6 inch groups at 50 yards. No rear sight on my fowler, of course.

I have read about people successfully shooting unpatched, but wadded balls. It didn't work for me. The unpatched, but wadded balls flew every which way. Sometimes as much as 2 feet off the bullseye. Totally unpredictable.

In the past I have experimented with buck and ball loads in my fowler. They, too, flew every which way with no predictability. Maybe okay when two armies are standing up and slugging away at each other from 50 yards, but no good for hunting purposes.

The extreme heat continues down here. No rain in sight.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post