New
Find
Notify
Tools

getten frisky season;0)
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
well crows are chaseing each other around n setting up territories, geese are more or less headed northward, groundhogs are running across open fields in broad daylight , fox are yipping near dark and brother skunk is sending his perfume into the air as well as often getting hit on the roads(might ask the chicken how to cross safely) guess early getten frisky season is comeing on,spring can't be far behind, thank you Mother Nature for an easy winter, much oblidged YMHS Birdman

Posts: 964 | Location: south eastern Pa | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Last month, February, was mating season for skunks down here, but I suspect the love making is still on-going. Skunk aroma penetrated my house a couple of nights ago at about 3 in the morning. I think my neighbor's dog met one of those stripped kitty's in my driveway.
Yesterday I heard a ka-ronk, ka-ronk and looked up to see a small flock of sandhill cranes flying over just above the tree tops. They were heading north. Thousands of them spend the winter at the Hiwassee Refuge here in southeastern Tenasi.
Dafodils, forsythia, and my plum trees are blooming. The dang grass is starting to grow again, too, and that just means more work for me to do.
I've already made up my mind that early Monday morning I'll be wading in the river and trout fishing. Then, later this week I want to go to my secret yellow perch hole.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I just finished puttin' my tomato plants out today. Probably a little early for most of ya'll. There won't be anymore frost here this year. I'm not even sure we had a frost, as I had flies all winter.

Posts: 302 | Location: Az. | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Have to say I am a little bit jealous. Up here in the mountains where I live I am still up to my nether regions in snow. Even down in Boise it is snow free. This is my spring time grumbling season.

Posts: 22 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 01 March 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Yup, Wolfwoman started talkin' 'bout tomatoe plants 'n' sech the other day. Bit early in my way o'thinkin' as we have 2.5ft of snow on the ground 'n' the greenhouse is snowed in too.

Be at least two months more of winter here before the snow even starts to melt off.

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
you saying you only got 2 1/2 ft. of snow up your way cross fox, gee maybe i otter move up their! here on the kenai here at my place i have four ft of the white stuff and we`re still getting more.
but by goss come this next friday i`m outta here going down to n.c. and tenn. country for a couple weeks,just getting too old for these long winter`s up here, gonna be looking for some land while i`m outside this time.
after liveing here for 54 yrs i`m needing someplace where theirs a true four seasons equally spaced through out the yr, no more of this 6 months of winter stuff .
plus i wanna go where i can raise more than just tater`s and cabage and carrots in the garden.

Posts: 196 | Location: kenai peninsula alaska | Registered: 09 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hiya, Firelock!

I moved down to the Meadow Lakes area last winter from Slana. Up in Slana they have 4 1/2 ft of snow in the areas that haven't been blownout by wind.

Down here in the Valley it really varies quiet a bit. Our friends over on the Palmer-Fishook Road have 4 1/2 ft at thier horse farm and so does the Jonrowe's up in Willow. The Susitna area has been slammed with snow upwards of 6+ feet on the ground. Of course, this aint nothing compared to Thompson Pass at nearly 500+ inches and Valdez at over 300 inches!

Wolfwoman is headed fer The Big Island last week of March and hopefully be able to connect with Col Boone and missus. So she will get a much needed break from this winter wx.

After being up here fer 46yrs I'm kinda gettin' a mite tired of the long winters too, and we've been considering where to next. We would like to be able to enjoy trail riding our horses more than just 4 months a year.

Iffen ya find yerself comin' up thisaway fire me off a PM 'n' we'll try to meet up!

Keep an eye to the ridgeline......'n' a sharp eye out fer copperheads 'n' ticks in tha East!

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Crossfox,
Good hearing from you! I understand the Iditarod started yesterday. Is Wolfwoman working it this year in any capacity?

Lots of geese paired up around here for the last month or so. We are seeing daytime temps in the 50s and low 60s, but are still freezing pretty regularly at night.

Sparks

"I thought when you said you chased tornadoes, it was just a metaphor."
--soon to be ex-fiance in Twister

Posts: 247 | Location: Boise | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, I've never had the opportunity to go to Alaska. I did, however, live for a year in the Adirondack Mountains of upstate New York. I well remember 5 feet of snow on the level and temperatures of 20*F below zero.
From there I moved to Michigan, another state with cold, snowy winters, but nice summers.
12 years ago we moved south to escape the cold and snow. Here in southeast Tennessee the only snow we've had this year was high on the mountain tops.
The drawback here, at least for me, is the hot and humid summers. I wish I still had my place in the Adirondacks to go to for the summers.
Now this morning, just before dawn, the temperature is in the mid 30's. It should be near 60*F this afternoon. I'm waiting for my buddy to arrive and then we are heading to the upper Hiwassee River to do some trout fishing.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Here in Va we had only a few inches of snow over the winter. I woke to major snow falling this morning. There must be 6"-7" currently and it's still coming down. AND TEMPS NEAR 70 are in the forecast in a few days.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
really was a mild winter here wasnt it birdman.had that reallll early snow then a few more times a couple inches and that was it

Wild as the wind

Posts: 404 | Location: Hittin the road | Registered: 10 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post