Find
Notify
Tools

November/December issue....
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted
Excellent issuse as always. I really enjoyed Mike Nesbitt's article on safety. I admire the man's courage to tackle a subject we can take for granted.
We as shooters need to keep safety in mind at all times....we hold the power of life and death in our hands, no matter how much we love our favorite gun, it was designed to put a lead round ball into something....and we always need to keep that fact in mind.
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I agree. That is a good and useful article. I think about all the times I've reloaded in a hurry without thinking about where the muzzle is pointing when I poured the powder in. Hope I'll pay more attention in the future and not risk my eyes so much.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
My thanks to the both of you and I'm glad you enjoyed the story. Shoot sharp, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Fincastle
posted Hide Post
Just got in from Kentucky tonight and my wife had the new issue of ML on the table by my chair. Great article by Mr. Nesbit. Thanks for reminding us to pay attention to the little things we seem to take for granted. Made me think about things in a bit different way.

A nod's as good as a blink to a blind horse

Posts: 143 | Location: Indiana Territory | Registered: 22 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Fin. And the name is Mike. Shoot sharp's the word!

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Mine came in the mail today. The first thing I read was Mike Nesbitt's article. Very well written and I applaud Mr. Nesbitt for sharing his experience with us rather than being too embarrassed about it to do so. I will not be throwing any stones his way, for I too have seen that smoke and thought nothing of pouring the next charge downbarrel, that is until now. Many thanks to you Mr. Nesbitt.

Posts: 69 | Registered: 12 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Not here in Texas yet?

"But I swear, a woman's breast is the hardest rock that the Almighty ever made on this earth, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Posts: 516 | Location: Ft Parker/Ft Manuel Lisa | Registered: 15 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the thanks, Noisy. "Mr. Nesbitt" makes me feel old... Shoot sharp, Mike

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Sorry Mike. From now on it's Mike. Yours, ol' noisy

Posts: 69 | Registered: 12 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Fincastle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Nesbitt:
Thanks, Fin. And the name is Mike. Shoot sharp's the word!
Sorry, thanks Mike just how I was raised....

A nod's as good as a blink to a blind horse

Posts: 143 | Location: Indiana Territory | Registered: 22 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Mikes article is next I read TC article first a lot of good reading this issue.....Smiler

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Hey Noisy, Good doin's!! And Fin, no one finds fault in being respectful. I was raised that same way. But we can be friendlier than that, at least some of the time. Don't you think? And B, you read TC's articel first? How could you do?? I just had to ask... Shoot sharp, Mike

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Mike good article I remember once at the Evergreen shoot you kept reminding me to open my frizzen, lesson learned.......Smiler

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Bravo, B, bravo!! Shoot sharp, Mike

Factor
posted Hide Post
Yes, I'd seen "cook offs" when guys fired blanks in musket speed drills. So I knew it wasn't impossible to have a smouldering spark in a thick coating of ash, but most folks don't do such a drill with their rifles or guns. NOW that I have another situation, where a little too much lube or rust preventative can cause it after only one shot..., I have an example to stress to my students in their common situations too..

THANKS MIKE!
Big Grin

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Yes, another excellent issue. Muzzleloader is my favorite magazine.

When I get mine I first thumb through it from end to end, mainly just reading headlines and looking at the pictures. Then, I start reading at the first page and go on from there. I often read while I'm eating my lunch. Sometimes I take my copy out to my deer blind and read while I'm waiting for that big buck to show up. Currently I am a little less than half way through the magazine.

Mike, your article on safety was very good. You didn't mention something that has happened to me on two different occasions with two different percussion rifles. The nipple blew out! The first time it was with an original 1850's era .32 "Ohio" rifle. The second time it happened with my own homebuilt .50 long rifle. I don't think the powder charges were excessive. Instead, I think the problem was that I had not changed the nipples in years. I think they had simply corroded from the inside, become weak, and just suddenly gave out. I received some mild burns on my face, but no serious injuries. The lesson that I learned was to install a new nipple from time to time.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Rancoras, I've had two nipples blow out, two different guns and about 30 years apart. While I did take a guess at why it happened the 2nd time, I really don't have a positive answer. But it certainly can happen. Installing a new nipple from time to time might help, maybe not... Shoot sharp, Mike

Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rancocas:
I had not changed the nipples in years. I think they had simply corroded from the inside, become weak, and just suddenly gave out. I received some mild burns on my face, but no serious injuries. The lesson that I learned was to install a new nipple from time to time.
Just a for what it's worth different point-of-view, I don't believe changing a nipple does anything for the corrosion on the threads of the nipple seat in the breech plug itself...I was always in the camp of religiously removing / pump flush cleaning / lubing the nipple seat after every use, just snugging the nipples back in gently

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Roundball, I certainly agree with you on this one. Shoot sharp, Mike

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I can't say that I remove the nipple every time I clean a caplock but there are two times that I most certainly do remove it and clean it out. One is at the end of the season, say mountain doins' and at the end of hunting season. In both cases, it is when I know the caplock won't be fired for some months.

The second if after having to pull the nipple for any reason, say to dribble powder in to get the firearm to fire, say for wet powder or a dry ball.

Mikes description of popping caps was also right on. One time I had used the caplock for hunting but didn't fire that shot out. A week later, I hunted with a flintlock so the caplock was put away loaded where it sat for a month till the late season. In preparation to loading, I took the caplock to the garage and popped a cap. Eeker BOOM I shot a hole in my son's wagon wheel. Talk about a
wake-up call. Roll Eyes

The only good thing that can be said for that episode was that I had the barrel pointed at the concrete floor (in a safe direction) so a tragedy was avoided.

From then on I tag the rifle out much like industrials method of tagging out electrical equipment. I made tages that I hang on the cock or hammer of the firearm if it is loaded. I also place a small piece of cloth (patch) on the nipple to keep moisture from getting in it.

I certainly can't imagine anyone looking into the vent when dropping the flint to frizzen with a charged flintlock.

One more note of concern is when knapping a flinter. The cock should be on half cock so it can't drop though care still needs to be taken because that flint can cut you clear to the bone. That and the flying flint chips can also find ones eye and they are very sharp.

I took note of the fact that Mike said he had his flinter sizzle and cook off before it actually fired on the day he had his powder go off. I've had the same thing happen to me with damp powder but never had the next charge go off while being pored down the bore. I'm not saying it can't happen, it just makes me darn aware that it has and therefor can take place.

Thanks for the heads up, Mike.

Load fast and aim slow.

Posts: 1726 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post