Find
Notify
Tools

Home-made Culti-packer
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Good morning folks.

I started construction on a "home-made" culti-packer for food plots and such. Unfortunately, I did not take pictures.

I found several designs for the home-made culti-packer on the interweb. For the design I have chosen, I hybridized several designs.

One starts out with a 12" diameter polyethylene corrugated culvert pipe. One can make it as wide as will suit you needs. This design is maximum of 6' wide so it will fit on my 6'x10' trailer.

We cut the 12" culvert pipe 5' long to allow for an axle to extend 6" on either end. A 2.5" Metal pipe was cut to 6' length. A 3" metal pipe was cut into two sections 4" long.

The axle goes through the center of the culvert pipe. 3/4" Plywood was jig sawed into two 12" circles. A hole of 2.5" was cut out of the center of each 12" wheel of plywood. These wheels will be placed in each end of the 12" pipe to keep the 2.5" axle centered in the 12" pipe.

Four Treated 2x4's were cut to fit the inside length of the 12" pipe. These 2x4's had 1.5" holes drilled to facilitate some grip for later added concrete. These 2x4's were attached inside the 12" pipe via screws which look like paddles on the + directions inside the 12" pipe. There is room to fit the axle in the center still.

Metal screws were installed on the 2.5" axle to provide grips for the concrete that is going to be added last for weight in the culti-packer. A 6" hollow stand was built to stand the device upright and allow for the 6" extended axle on the one end. One 12" wheel was installed on one end with screws. The device was stood up on the stand. The axle was installed through the 12" pipe and through the 2.5" hole in the 12" bottom wheel. An opening was cut out along the side of the top 12" wheel to facilitate adding concrete. The top 12" wheel was placed over the axle which is extending out of the top and then it was screwed into place in the top of the 12" pipe.

To be continued.....

God bless America and Alba Gu Brath!

Posts: 567 | Location: God's farm in Alabama | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Now comes the need to mix the concrete.

The concrete will need to be wet [Not soupy but not dry either] to fit in a small opening in the top end plywood wheel. The wet concrete will need to be able to settle to the bottom, around the 2x4's and the axle. Thumping the exterior of the culvert pipe with a hammer or other will help settle the concrete inside the culvert pipe.

Once the concrete is poured , settled and filled to the top, let stand to cure. I strapped it to a well anchored table to prevent tipping over.

The 4" long sections of 3" diameter pipe that I cut earlier now come into play. One each will fit over the ends of the axle. I plan to weld a rectangular frame to fit over the culvert pipe with enough room to allow it to roll. The four inch long sections of 3" diameter pipe will be welded to the rectangular frame and used as the bearing and attach the axle to the rectangular frame.

At this point, build a 'Trailer tongue' to pull the newly built rolling culti-packer. I plan to pull the culti-packer with an ATV so I will make the tongue approximately 6' long. It will be long enough to allow for tight turns but not take an acre to turn around.

The 12" culvert pipe should take approximately 4 +/- bags of 80# QuickCrete. With the steel frame, It should weigh approximately 350 +/- pounds. Hopefully, it will roll nicely. This should pack the seed in nicely to create the ideal seedbed for food plot seed. Better seed beds make far better germination rates to get your money's worth of expensive seed.

Happy construction should you decide to build one of these contraptions. DanL

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DanL,

Posts: 567 | Location: God's farm in Alabama | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Cultipacker roller

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Good mooning folks.

This weekend, if all goes well, I plan to construct a tongue for the "Culti-packer". I will make some crude but simple bearings to fit over the ends of the axle. I plan to pull the roller with an ATV.

I hope to get a couple of pics if I succeed with the effort.

Aye, I am a dreamer! DanL

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DanL,

Booshway
posted Hide Post
The bearings will be a 4" long pice of 3" diameter pipe to fit over the 2.5" diameter axle pipe.

I had in my storage woods, an old single gang mule pulled disk harrow plow. I removed the tongue and bearing housings from the old plow. The original wooden bearings in the bearing housing were rotten of course. My dad and I had replaced the wooden bearings about 40 years ago with osage orange.

Fortunately, the bearing housing will closely fit over the above mentioned 3" diameter pipe which will make the new crude bearings. I plan to fill the remaining gap between the 3" pipe and bearing housing with poured lead.

Again, if all goes well, I might end up with a usable "culti-packer" Big Grin

Knocking on wood to evoke my ancestors ancient tree spirits for assistance, DanL

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Roller

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Improvise and adapt.

Frankly, not being a farmer, I don't even know what a culti-packer is.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
When a field is plowed, there are rough spots, clumps of soil, deep trenches and other variations in the soil.

Some seeds (Wildflowers in particular) require to be sown on nice flat firm ground and only pressed into the soil or very lightly covered.

After plowing the field, The culti-packer is run over the field to break up clumps, cover depressions and generally smooth and firm the soil.

Then one sows (Scatters, plants, etc.) the seed.
After sowing, the culti-packer is then run over the field again to press the seed into the soil.

Although labor intensive, this is a great way to get the best possible germination rate for your expensive seed.

I plant several acres of wildflowers each year to encourage Bees to stay local and have food (nectar). This benefits me because the bees in turn pollinate my wildlife orchards scattered around the property. What the wildlife do not eat, we get to have fresh fruits and nuts for our enjoyment and table fare.

I am building a culti-packer because I need one and used/new ones are very expensive for a hobbyist like me.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Completed Cultipacker