Tools

just a hound dog
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
my wife now calls "Spot".

Wow, that's a GREAT name!

Posts: 849 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 11 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
One last post on the Saga of The Hound before this campsite goes under.
Today she is at the vet's being spayed and getting a rabies shot. I'll pick her up this afternoon. She has put on some weight and she is doing fine.
We have started calling her Lulu for no other reason than she looks like a Lulu to us. Better than "Spot" anyway. However, we are still hoping to find a good home with a fenced yard for her.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Well um, Lulu's a good name too I guess(sniff)...

Posts: 849 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 11 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spot:
Well um, Lulu's a good name too I guess(sniff)...

I got a good chuckle out of that. Smiler Smiler Smiler
How about Lulu Spot for a full name?

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hi Rancocas,

Hey, pet names are best when the pets name themselves. If she looks like a Lulu, then she should be Lulu.

Although she ain't a pet, we named our daughter Elizabeth with every intention of calling her Beth. But - she just looked like an Elizabeth, and we've always called her that. So I do understand. Big Grin

By the way, Lulu is no longer just a hound dog - she's a LULU!

Spot

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I like the way this story ended. Could have been a lot worse. Lots of critters lost or dropped that need a home.

Posts: 82 | Location: north georgia | Registered: 12 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Update;

Lulu is doing fine. She is still here with us. She has been spayed, had a rabies shot, and been wormed.

She seems to have settled into a routine. I let both dogs outside at dawn. Dixie takes care of business and is standing at the back door waiting to be let in within 20 to 30 minutes. It takes Lulu a little longer, but she is usually back within an hour.

Both dogs lay about the house all morning, and then go outside again in the early afternoon. Dixie soon returns. She always stays close around the house. She is pretty much of a couch potato. But, Lulu is usually gone for the rest of the day. She returns in the evening. Where she goes and what she does, I haven't a clue.

The neighbor's Doberman is over here about as much as he is at his own house. (nobody has fences here) He patrols not only his property, but also the houses on both sides of his home. (the houses line the road, but behind us as well as across the road are nothing but woods) He is a large, intimidating guard dog, and I like having him around. He is friendly to those of us who know him. My Dixie is also a large, intimidating looking dog, and although she barks at strangers, she is really just a big cuddly teddy bear. She looks like a cross between a German Shepard and a Husky. Both Dixie and Lulu get along fine with Hector the Doberman.

There is one thing that I find odd about Lulu, especially since she is a hounddog. She grunts and groans, and moans, but I have never yet heard her bark or howl.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Things seem to be slow on the forum right now, so I'll give ya'll an update on Lulu.

We never found her owners and apparently nobody wants to take in an old hound. So, she remains here with us.

However, she continues to roam. She comes here to eat, sleep, and rest up for several days, but then she is off on another adventure. Usually she stays gone for two or three days and nights, then she shows up here again.

One time she came home wearing an old, moldy, worn out, heavy, spiked collar that stank of goats or some such critter. I took that smelly thing off her.

She went off again last Monday, and hasn't come home yet. (Today is Wednesday.) Bad storms rolled through here Monday night and much of Tuesday with lots of thunder, lightning, and torrential rain. Low lying areas flooded. We sure do hope that Lulu found shelter through it all.

Maybe she will return soon. Maybe not. I hope so. We've grown attached to her, and she seems to have developed a liking for us. She prances around real happy-like when she does come home.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Put a container on the collar and a note with contact information!!!!Sounds like my kids when they come home from Collage on the week ends and breaks.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
You ever put that dog on a track?

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Sounds like Lulu has another family...."Crow has a good idea,if you can establish contact with the other family you can let them know when she takes off,or shows up,might increase her chances of a long life.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Well, last Monday night (actually Tuesday morning about 3 AM) an aquaintance of mine who lives about 3/4 mile down the road said that he opened the door of his home to look out at the intense thunderstorm and saw Lulu passing through his yard at that time.

She was gone all week, and finally showed up here again yesterday (Saturday afternoon) She seemed hungry, sore and worn out. She slept all that afternoon and night, but this morning (Sunday) she took off again. We haven't seen her all day.

I did have a note inside a baggie tied to a collar of our own that I had put on her. However, it was quickly torn up by Lulu going through the underbrush. Maybe I'll try that again, if she returns again.

She is a silent dog. We have finally heard her bark when she wants to come inside our house, but mostly she just grunts and groans. I've never heard or seen her on a game trail. I don't have a radio tracking collar to put on her, and I don't want to follow her around here because of all the posted private property and also all the poison ivy that is growing like weeds now with this warm, wet spring weather. And, I don't want to take her back up in the national forest where I found her for fear that I will lose her there.

So, she comes and goes as she pleases.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Sounds like Lulu has just the type of set up she wants. I had an old rogue dog several years ago that would drop by for a couple of days every now and then, never knew who he belonged to but he was quite a pleasant fellow to have around when he did stop by. He didn't push my little beagles around or bother the cats. He eventually stopped coming by, but he was an old dog when he started coming by, so it wasn't a big surprise.

I admired that old dog and even envied him a little bit. That old guy was a master at living free.

I also had a little beagle dog that used to run loose. Best rabbit dog I ever had, but there was zero discipline to him. You kind of went hunting with him, rather than the reverse. He was my boy's dog - we would head out across the field in my truck, knowing he could hear us. We would squirrel hunt until he got there, then kill a rabbit or two over him.

After a year or two I found out that he was something of a neighborhood dog (neighbors out here are close to a mile apart). Turns out he had a route of sorts he would run, and he brought rabbits to at least a couple of the neighbors. The others fed him anyway, because he was a friendly little guy.

Lulu strikes me as that kind of dog. Friendly, smart, happy, and above all, free. I can't personally think of a better life for a dog OR a person.

Here's to Lulu and them what's like her. Smiler

Spot

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Lulu is still with us. It turns out that she is quite the raccoon hound. I've heard her barking near our house several times, so I went to her.

Just yesterday I heard her barking on the ridge across the creek from my place. I went to her, crossing the creek on a beaver dam. Yep, she had a 'coon up a tree.

However, she does have one big problem. Lulu is terribly gun shy. All I have to do is pick up a gun and she runs for cover. Thunder, distant fireworks - any of that and she hides out for hours even after its over. If she is in our house she hides in a closet. Outside she either goes under our deck, or who knows where out in the woods.

I've always suspected that she had been abused. Maybe, sometime, someone peppered her with birdshot.

Factor
posted Hide Post
I've really enjoyed reading about Lulu,and the others that run free,however,I think I should mention another viewpoint.I lived on a small farm for my teen years,raising livestock,doing the FFA,and 4-H thing.One of the things a livestock farmer dreads most is a stray dog,Lulu is a stray dog.If she's gun shy it may be for a very good reason.It wont take very many dead rabbits,chickens,ducks,etc. before a farmer starts looking for predators,a stray dog is a predator.I don't know how many times I've heard"Oh my little Bruce wouldn't hurt your cute little goats,he just wants to be friends..." That may be so,but the prey species"little Bruce" is playing with doesn't understand,and inevitably someone gets hurt,usually the subject of his "playing",sometimes the dog...So,the point of this minor rant is,as cool as it sounds for the dog to "run free",keep them home,or count on hearing from one of your neighbors about indemnities...

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
You are correct. Ohh, I'm very much aware of what domestic dogs can do when out on their own. So, if someone shoots a dog that is killing their chickens, calves, or whatever, I have no problem with them protecting their property.
I've also been known to take care of the problem myself a time or two. You know the old three S principle? Shoot. Shovel. Shutup. If I thought that Lulu was doing anything distructive, I would end it.

Several of my neighbors have chickens. One raises goats. Another has horses and lots of ducks on a small pond. None of those neighbors have complained, and in fact most of them have said that they have never even seen Lulu.

She is a loner. In spite of my dog, Dixie, and my neighbor's dog, and other dogs down the street; Lulu continues to ignore them. Most of those dogs are kept inside during the night, anyway. Lulu runs solo. She hunts alone. And, from what I have seen so far, she is only after raccoons.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Sounds like Lulu is truly unique.I wish her a long,and trouble-free life....
....And yes,I am aware of the three s's.Been known(or *not*known)to settle a problem or two myself....