New
Find
Notify
Tools

Squirrel curry.
 Login/Join

Free Trapper
posted
It ain't often that I get to contribute to the forum, so here's a recipe useful for getting rid of extra squirrel.

Start by cleaning and skinning that squirrel. Put it in your pot to boil until cooked. Take out the squirrel and put aside to cool. Dump out most of the broth but keep some for later, but it has to come out of the pot for now.

Put a course chopped onion in that empty pot, with some olive oil and about two tablespoons of chili paste (This is gonna keep ya warm as well). Cook all that together until the onion is clear, and you start to get something that resembles mace steaming out of the pot. If you can inhale the fumes coming out of the pot without coughing, or having your eyes water, put in another tablespoon of chili paste.
Pour in one can of coconut milk. Use that empty can to add back your squirrel broth from earlier. You don't want it too watery, so you'll probably only need one can's worth added back. Add some cut up potatoes, carrots, and some green beans.
Let that cook while you are picking the meat off that squirrel. You want the meat to be somewhat shredded (this works good for those really tough ones).
Toss that squirrel meat back inside the pot, and let the whole thing boil until your vegetables are done. Add some salt, a can of sliced mushroom (unless you got fresh ones). Once the mushrooms are hot/cooked turn it off.

This works great served with rice, either as a side dish, or right inside the curry (tames the whole thing down a bit if you put the rice in the curry pot).

You could make the whole thing less spicy by using less chili paste, but I tend to go the other way. It really clears the sinuses.

This works with chicken too, but the squirrel makes it better.

Enjoy.

Posts: 154 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
I also sometimes add other vegetables. Squash works well. I've even put in turnips, and it wasn't half bad.

Posts: 154 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
Sounds yummy! I love coconut-milk curries. But our squirrels outside the city limits are pretty tiny.

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
I actually get two kinds of squirrels in my woods: Fox and smaller gray. One fox squirrel makes a good curry, but it takes two of the gray ones to do it.