New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hoe Cakes
 Login/Join

Free Trapper
posted
I stumbled onto a food rabbit-hole while researching something else. I posted a writeup on the possible origin for the naming of Hoe Cakes on the HISTORY forum here, and thought I'd put the recipe here.

Hoe cakes are a simple pancake like bread that dates back at least to the colonial era and can be cooked with few ingredients and very simple utensils.

2 cups cornmeal, white preferably
2 to 3 cups lukewarm water
Salt and/or pepper to taste

Mix to a pancake batter like consistency and
fry in a skillet until browned and cooked
through.

Here's a video of an interpreter at Mt. Vernon cooking hoe cakes the tradition way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecnSW1t4dLk

For a more palatable version try this recipe on the Mt. Vernon website. But be prepared to do more dishes!
https://www.mountvernon.org/in...es/article/hoecakes/

Posts: 177 | Location: Kooskooskie River Country | Registered: 02 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Lol, of course it's Townsends!! Now I'm hungry!...My wife has developed a sourdough version of the more involved recipe from Mount Vernons' recipe book, only using sourdough starter discard. amazing that she came up with a recipe that is virtually identical to this old recipe. No corn though.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Sourdough sounds good for sure, Boar!

My grandmother made them for us kids with self-rising flour and milk (I think that was all) as a quick bread for meals when she didn't want to bake biscuits.

Posts: 177 | Location: Kooskooskie River Country | Registered: 02 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Ya,it is. I love being able to use the starter I have to remove from my starter jar to feed it. we call the little flat breads I make from it "piglets".

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I was raised by my grandmother and she often cooked me a hoe-cake for breakfast. No cornmeal in the recipe and they were enjoyed with molasses.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Great, another recipe to add to the collection, and another website also! Thank you!
~Kees~

Posts: 70 | Registered: 07 January 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post