Notify
Tools

Baked Apple Pudding
 Login/Join

Factor
posted
I made this on Thanksgiving as an experiment. Big Grin

Baked Apple Pudding
Based on an 18th century recipe, but I can’t find the reference now….still looking. Frowner

(what you’re going to do is make an open topped pie out of applesauce, with a bottom crust.)

You need:
6 cups diced apples (I used 4 LARGE Granny Smith Apples -not an authentic variety but they are nice and tart)
1 lemon
1 tblspn lemon zest
½ cup apple cider
½ cup plain bread crumbs
2 whole eggs
3 additional egg yolks
2/3rds of a cup of brown sugar
4 tblspns unsalted butter
1 frozen dessert pie shell

Preheat the oven to 375°. Set the pie crust on the counter; out of the way to thaw.

Boil the whole lemon in about 3 cups of water to ensure there’s no paraffin on the outside, and to make sure the peel is sanitary. It only takes about 5 minutes. Remove the fruit from the water, and set aside to cool.

Zest the peel of the lemon with a fine grater until you have about 1 tablespoon. When done, slice the lemon in half and set aside.

Slice up the apples, remove the core portions, and peal. Dice up the apple flesh. (You may want to put the diced apple into a plastic container as you go, and squeeze the juice from half of the lemon to coat the apple flesh to keep it from turning brown) . When you have 6 cups of diced, peeled and cored apples, place them in a cooking pot. Add the apple cider, and the juice of the other half of the lemon, and bring to a boil. Once they start to boil, add the lemon zest, stir, and cover.

Reduce the heat and let the apples cook/steam for about 15 minutes. Stir them a few times to keep them from burning. As they cook they will break down into a chunky sauce.

While the apples cook, poke holes in the bottom of the pie crust with a fork, and place the thawed crust into the oven for about 10 minutes to start to bake. Remove and let it cool.

Melt the butter in a small container. Set aside.

Add the sugar to the apples while stirring, and do this slowly. Taste as you go so you get the right amount of tart and sweet to suit you. Remove the apples from the heat and add the bread crumbs and the butter. Stir in the crumbs and butter, and allow the mixture to cool.

After the apples have cooled, whisk the two eggs and the three egg yolks together, and then stir the eggs and yolks into the apples. (You will cook the eggs if they are added to the apples when the apples are hot.)

Spoon the apple mixture into the pie shell, and bake until the top edge of the crust is done. Remove from the oven, and allow to cool.

Slice and serve

The bread crumbs serve as a thickening agent, and the eggs are a binder. You can’t substitute flour for the bread crumbs as it will taste bad.

You end up with a really deep “pudding”, but you could stretch this with two frozen pie shells, and have two shallow pies….or you could use pastry tart crusts instead.

This does work in a Dutch Oven, and the apple season tends to have cooler temps so cooling the pudding in camp isn't that difficult.

DONT cook the apples in anything iron as they will probably go very dark in color.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Sounds like something I will try, except not with a commercial crust, my wife makes real good ones. I wonder why the holes in the bottom of the crust?

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Ah, good question!

If you use a frozen pie shell, when you prebake it... bubbles form between the aluminum pie pan and the crust, causing it to rise and separate from the pan. They can sometimes "pop" which means you get pie filling burning against the pan, making it tough to cut and remove a slice. The holes allow any steam to escape during the prebaking...and I prebake my frozen shells as I like a done crust, not almost done dough on the bottom.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I've never used a frozen pie shell but that's good to know in case I do.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post