New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ration Disasters
 Login/Join

Factor
posted
I've seen and heard about some camp cooking mishaps....

A "progressive reenactment unit" from North Carolina (a la "hard core") which prided itself on not having tents, etc. once provided for its members "salt-pork" at an even at Ft. Frederick State Park. Well they didn't make the salt pork themselves, but bought a salt cured, Virginia ham, and cut slices, and ate it as such. NOW with salt port back then one boiled it, from everything that I've read, so why they didn't at least do that I will never know...., but the result was several people [BARFED] Moral of the story: It's easy to be hard; it's hard to be smart.

I heard a story of several fellows who were going to fry up some taters, and one of the trio told the other two that there should be some cooking oil in the camp box, in a jug..., well there was apparently two little jugs of oil, and they grabbed a jug and fried up the taters which tasted sorta odd when done. Turned out the guys had not grabbed the jug of olive oil they grabbed the jug of CLP..., and through the night they [BARFED] Moral of the story: Food and cleaning stuff should be kept apart.

THEN there was the lady in charge of the group meal at an event, and she HAD to cook a turkey over the open fire, and by 9 p.m. the darn thing wasn't half-done yet. (Seems she'd never done it before in her life over a fire) So the serjeant [British spelling] made a run to the local store near the historic site, while others got a huge pot of water boiling, and upon the serjeant's return, medium sized taters cut into quarters, and large, smoked franks were the fare by 10:00 pm that night. Moral of the story: Don't let the person in charge of the food experiment on the troops.

So anybody else have some interesting camp food 'fails' to share?

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
LOL Good ones.

Well, my wife has the habit of putting a small amount of bleach in our porcelain coffee cups to get the tea stains out. Not aware that she had done that, I grabbed my cup off the counter top and poured myself some coffee. Worse coffee I ever had. Didn't finish it.

She also has the habit of putting vinegar in our coffee pot to desolve the mineral deposits. Forgetting that she did that, she then made a terrible tasting pot of coffee.

A couple of years ago I won a chunk of salt pork at a turkey shoot. Not being familiar with the stuff, we just sliced it and fried it. Didn't known that it should be boiled first. Wow! Was it ever salty!

Taking a noon lunch break from squirrel hunting long ago, my Uncle and I made a small fire and scewered a pair of squirrels on sticks. As we sat there roasting our lunch we watched a doe come trotting past us only about 30 yards away. We were still marveling about that when along comes a 6 point buck on the doe's trail. He, too, passed close to us and our smoky fire without paying us the slightest notice.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Never ever eat Green Hash

Posts: 109 | Location: NH | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
It is also a VERY good idea to set up camp Upstream from the herd! Big Grin

Posts: 197 | Registered: 15 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Discounting vegetables; if it's green it's either very new cheese or very old meat. Sometimes it's hard to tell.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
I dont know if this qualifies, but I once gave away my shooting to great tasting campfire coffee. It was the yearly Rifle Frolic and I had bought some great coffee, not decaffeinated. I boiled up a pot each morning, three day weekend, and drank three cups over breakfast. I drank the rest of it during the day. No matter what I did all weekend, I could not stop my yeager from dancing every time I tried to aim it. I took no prizes home that weekend.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Yeah, no doubt. I wanted to "make coffee in camp" once...., bought green coffee beans. Well I roasted some and ground them and made a small kettle of coffee, but way too weak, so repeated the process by dry roasting the beans in a dry, cast iron skillet, and kept up the process, and by about the fifth try, I got the coffee right. Seems that camp coffee you really need a very dark "French" roast to get the coffee right.

HOWEVER...., what I didn't realize was the caffeine is NOT dependent on the darkness of the roast, so strong flavor does not mean more caffeine, and thus the "weak" versions one through four, had lots of caffeine in them...which by version five I had five inside me in about 40 minutes time.....

So for the next three or four hours...IwassojazzedthatIspokesofastthatitwasliketherewerenospacesbetweenmywordsandIdidn'tbreathewhiletalking!

LD

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I usually drink at least 4 cups of coffee every morning. I buy a particular brand I like in the darkest, strongest grade they make. And I have always made my coffee strong - I didn't think so until a friend told me that she only uses the amount of coffee I was using when she's making a full pot. I was making 3 cups. And at this stage in my career, caffeine is just a mild sedative. And I can't stand anything in my coffee; no cream, sugar and such. I like it BLACK as that's the only way I can really enjoy the taste of the coffee.

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I like coffee strong and black...My current favorite is dark Sumatran.I just found a guy that lives about an hour away from me that has a boutique roaster and definitely knows how to use it.Did I acquire some dark Sumatran?Oh,yes....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Boartooth, your tail quote about BEER reminded me of a ration disaster that I experienced several years ago.

One of the coldest November deer hunts I'd ever witnessed. The camp supply of bottled beer had froze and the bottles broke!!

Even with a good supply of coffee, I considered it a "DRY" week of hunting!

Factor
posted Hide Post
Oh my,THAT is a tragedy!I might have just taken the hint and gone home,maybe.....Or maybe not.

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Cranbrook, that's definitely a disaster.

Factor
posted Hide Post
That won't happen with real 'shine. Big Grin

LD

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I still remember that not that long ago I was getting salmon ready to grill. I like hot stuff and I always coat my portion heavily with a Cajun mixture of red pepper with some black pepper, garlic and another spice or two. Now the cinnamon & Cajun bottles look very much alike. Before I realized what was happening I had put a thick coat of cinnamon on my salmon fillet. Got it fairly well washed off but still had to put a super major coat of pepper on it.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Oy,that would only be salvageable by adding soy sauce,and ginger....And a touch of sesame oil....go for the teriyaki approach.

Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hanshi:
I still remember that not that long ago I was getting salmon ready to grill. I like hot stuff and I always coat my portion heavily with a Cajun mixture of red pepper with some black pepper, garlic and another spice or two. Now the cinnamon & Cajun bottles look very much alike. Before I realized what was happening I had put a thick coat of cinnamon on my salmon fillet. Got it fairly well washed off but still had to put a super major coat of pepper on it.

I was raised to not waste food by depression era parents.

Hanshi, with that said, it would be time to call my kitty kat! Big Grin

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Oh, my, I'm at it again! Yesterday morning I again picked up the wrong bottle and dumped Cajun red pepper mix in my oatmeal. This has got to stop! I can't see to read without wearing reading glasses and can't see my way around when I have them on. The two bottles have labels that are alike and also the same brand; except for the words, "Ground Cinnamon" and "Cajun" (both are McCormick"). I've put them in different; so now I'll see if this works. If it doesn't work I'll go in for a brain transplant.

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Forgot: I don't waste food either. My wife says I'm like some one who lived through the depression. On the salmon, I put enough hot stuff to burn off any cinnamon taste. I got out as much hot stuff out of the oatmeal as I could. What remained mixed in the oatmeal didn't seem to do an awful lot to the taste. But then, She tells me I've burned out all my taste buds; a non-taster.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Ya,my wife doesn't appreciate spicy stuff either...

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
My wife loves all the dark green bitter veggies because she can taste them. She complains that her taster is not satisfied after eating. I cant stand those dark greens, way bitter. Our nurse daughter tells me that I am a super taster. I do love my chilis though. however a little ginger goes a loooong way, waaay spicy.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post