poordevil
Ration Disasters
quote:
Originally posted by uncle snore:
Never ever eat Green Hash

Or Yellow Snow!!!
20 April 2017, 10:41 PM
volatpluvia
My pastor visited family in Chiapas, a state in México, a very coffee state. He brought us a kilo of unroasted coffee beans. The wife went online and found that the temperature of the roasting surface needs to be nearly 500 degrees. Then ten minutes constantly stirring thru the beans is true dark roast. The man in Chapala that I buy my dark roast from uses a large donut shaped gas roaster with automatic stirring. He roasts it much longer than ten minutes so his temp must be alot less. I will experiment on small amounts. He roasts maybe 25 kilos at a time, maybe 50.

pistuo deo lalo
22 April 2017, 02:11 PM
Boartooth
Be sure to post your results,please.I've never roasted my own beans.....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin
01 May 2017, 03:27 PM
volatpluvia
Tried it today. I was afraid I wouldn't have enough heat, so I built a real good charcoal fire, over 500F., according to Audrey's oven thermometer. First batch, fortunately she convinced me to start small, was charcoal. I couldn't coax coffee out of it. I through it away. second batch, actually made weak coffee from. Third batch was after I let the fire do down, level of the hot coals and temperature. I had to stir it in the pan for about a half hour. This actually made a dark roast that was cofee. I was not as good as my shop roasted coffee grown in the mountains near Puerta Vallarta. I may try roasting a batch at lower temp and for a longer time, leaving the beans just a little lighter.

pistuo deo lalo
02 May 2017, 06:15 PM
Boartooth
Hmm,very interesting....

04 May 2017, 11:33 PM
volatpluvia
Today, I roasted several batches just past medium but not quite dark. I brewed a french press full, two big mugs worth. It tastes just a little like the pre roasted and ground stuff the pastor brought back from Chiapas. The grounds are darker, tho. The licorice taste must be a characteristic of Chiapas grown coffee. My roast was full flavor, so I think I have it right, now.

pistuo deo lalo
06 May 2017, 04:35 PM
Boartooth
Cool!

07 May 2017, 06:08 PM
uncle snore
I saw a waste of good salmon. Salmon don't need spicy crap.
08 May 2017, 04:20 AM
Cranbrook
My cat agrees with you uncle snore Wink