New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tuscarawas Corn
 Login/Join

Pilgrim
posted
Hello the fire, I was just wondering if some one of you might be able to direct me to a source of Tuscarawas Corn seed as was mentioned in Mark Sage's article "The Quebec Run" back in the Jan/Feb 2014 issue of Muzzleloader. Might try to grow some someday. Noisemaker

Posts: 69 | Registered: 12 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Notchy Bob
posted Hide Post
Noisemaker,

I am sorry I can't tell you where to get that particular variety of corn. However, the article indicated it is a "flint" corn (as opposed to pop corn, sweet corn, flour corn, etc.). This leads us to believe the secret to success might be the general type of corn (i.e. flint) rather than the specific variety.

The name suggests this variety may have developed in the Ohio country. I don't know where you live, but if it is in a different area, you might want to investigate a more local variety of flint corn. If you Google "heirloom corn seeds," you will get an astonishing number of hits linking you to growers and dealers, and you might even find the Tuscarawas flint corn that you seek.

I recently discovered the Museum of the Fur Trade sells some heirloom seeds for corn, beans, pumpkins, and watermelons that were grown by indigenous people of the northern plains. The point being that there are a lot of potential sources for heirloom seeds.

I used to garden when I was younger, and I made it a point to grow the more traditional garden vegetables rather than the "latest and greatest" from the seed companies. I never regretted it. I still have a place in the country, but at this point don't have a sunny area that won't be trompled by horses or dug up by our dogs, and free time right now is at a premium, also. I do hope to get back into gardening at some point, however, and want to offer encouragement to you.

Keep looking! You might even try an online "people search" to make contact with the fellows mentioned in the article. You have plenty of time before spring planting, and I have no doubt you'll enjoy the process.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us. Should have rode horses. Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Posts: 333 | Location: Florida | Registered: 24 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Halloo Notchy, Guess I got so mesmerized by the story I didn't think about other possibilities. I'm located in upstate NY, and yes, there are quite a few varieties to choose from. Some day maybe I will try for a three sisters type garden. No rototiller, all hand dug, like they did it back when. Thank you for your kind response and good luck with your future doin's and hey, I just might try to get ahold of those fellows! Thanks again!

Posts: 69 | Registered: 12 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Merret Seeds in Ohio carry the seed. Just go to you r search engine type in Tuscarawas Seed and down near the bottom of the list!!

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post