muzzleloadermag.infopop.cc
organ of offall meats

This topic can be found at:
https://muzzleloadermag.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/706104309/m/7484009148

21 November 2019, 03:27 PM
Hanshi
organ of offall meats
Let's see. I've eaten squirrel, rabbit, possum, snapping turtles, gator, crickets, ants, worms, grasshoppers and deer. Guinea pigs are too cute for my taste. One thing I do miss a lot is catfish. They just don't have 'em up here. I cook a mean blackened Cajun catfish! Hot? YES! Delicious? Absolutely!

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*
22 November 2019, 07:35 AM
Rancocas
My daughter's EX-in-laws from Minnesota look down on catfish as "bottom feeders" and they don't think much of anyone who actively fishes for them or certainly not eat one.

One of my young grandsons, who is greatly influenced by his dad and Minnesota grandparents, once asked me; "Do you like catfish?"
I replied; "Sure. I'm not prejudice. I just like catching fish. I don't care what kind they are. And, I think catfish is pretty good eating."
Catfishing, and eating, certainly is a big thing here in the south.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.
24 November 2019, 06:12 AM
Cranbrook
quote:
Originally posted by Hanshi:
Let's see. I've eaten squirrel, rabbit, possum, snapping turtles, gator, crickets, ants, worms, grasshoppers and deer. Guinea pigs are too cute for my taste. One thing I do miss a lot is catfish. They just don't have 'em up here. I cook a mean blackened Cajun catfish! Hot? YES! Delicious? Absolutely!

Been a northerner all my life and we do have Channel Cats around several rivers and lakes here in northern lower Michigan. Hanshi, pretty sure where you live in Maine you would find some as well! Another closely related fish to the cat is what we call the "Bullhead". They are identical anatomically speaking except they do not get as large. Bullheads are found almost everywhere here. They bite best during the evening hours or at dusk when the sun is just going down.

They are also quite delicious!
24 November 2019, 06:26 AM
Cranbrook
This years deer hunt has been successful with the taking of a very nice doe about a week ago. Although I took her with an upper neck shot from my trusty 45 caliber flintlock and she dropped dead in her tracks, I ran into some trouble.

I always enjoy the liver and heart very much but when I was gutting this big girl my knife slipped and popped open the contents of the stomach which was packed full of some very unpleasant material! I could not get those guts out fast enough before the contamination hit the liver.

I know if I was a real mountain man, a good washing in the creek would have saved me a fine liver & onion dinner. But this flatlander could just not find an appetite and was lucky not to have lost his breakfast that morning!
24 November 2019, 01:24 PM
Boartooth
Yes Cran, a good washing would have done the trick. the thing you gotta watch out for is the gall bladder, hanging on the side of the liver. I'm sure you know that, but I thought I'd mention it for others.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin
27 November 2019, 10:13 AM
Bud in PA
When asked what I LIKE TO EAT, MY STANDARD REPLY IS " ANYTHING THAT DOESN'T EAT ME FIRST". I HAVE ACTUALLY MADE SOME PEOPLE SICK TLLING THAM ALL OF THE DIFFERENT SPECIES THAT HAVE PASSED THROUGH MY LIPS.
29 May 2023, 02:52 PM
Winter Hawk
i love TONGUE. Stopped at the local farmers' market the other day and asked the lady at the meat booth if she had any. She did, at $5 each. I walked out of there wit two of around 3 1/2 pounds each. I thawed one out and boiled it up in water to cover (50 minutes per pound). After it cooled off I sliced it for sandwiches. Asked my wife if she wanted one and the answer was an unequivocal "NO!" She will not eat something which has been in a cow's mouth. All the more for me! Big Grin
~Kees~
31 May 2023, 11:35 AM
Boartooth
Lol, offer to cook her an egg!

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin