New
Find
Notify
Tools

Depends on situation cooking
 Login/Join

Graybeard
posted
It really depends on the situation on what meals "could" be like. On the trail n trying to be historically correct is one situation. Long term camps like a base camp for several weeks can really be a totally different situation. I've cooked, fried,stewed,baked, boiled, roasted, in camp probably anything n everything ever made in a kitchen at home. Often folks seriously limit themselves because its a Campfire. Washington, Jefferson ate well useing classic foods of the period. Todayany will turn a nose up at some of the meals but IMHO that's just because we have fallen out of the habit of eating those food stuffs. Really think about what n where you going n doing. Light n nourishing carried on your back would be totally different from the possibilities in an Inn , Tavern or settlement.

Posts: 229 | Location: Southeast Pa. | Registered: 03 February 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Right.
When I was younger I did a lot of traveling and camping from a canoe. Because of some long portages I didn't want to carry too much gear, but I certainly could take more than I can carry on my own back.

Of course, when I tow my wheeled tin teepee I can take along plenty of other heavy stuff.

But, when I go off on a hike on foot for two or more days the only cooking implements that I take are a tin pot, a tin cup that nestles inside the pot, and one spoon. My food is either boiled or skewered on a stick and roasted over a hot bed of coles.
In fact I am planning just such a hike two weeks from now. My route through these mountains from point A to point B is about 40 miles and will probably take me three days (and two nights), squirrel hunting along the way.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Ran read my other post in the trekking section. I mention a couple staples I try to always have. All light n easy to carry and versitle mixing with other stuff or even together. I've tossed a handful of fruit, corn meal together in the evening, covered with water n let sit n rehydrate overnight. Shave some chocolate in n let simmer n Cook for breakfast. You can actually tote it along n eat a little here n there as ya hike

Posts: 229 | Location: Southeast Pa. | Registered: 03 February 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
My wife and I spent a week out primitive last spring with only jerky, pemmican and dried berries with no problems. Oh, we also had green coffee beans to roast and rum.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Kinda depends now as it did then on what you'd be willing to haul, and your means....British General John ( Gentleman Johnny) Burgoyne had 16 personal carts, carrying all of his possessions as well as an amazing amount of wine including champagne when he marched from Canada toward Saratoga....good initiative...bad judgement.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post