New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pemmican
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
Does anyone have a recipe for pemmican useing store bought ingredients? Thanks.

"...having Providence for their founder and Nature for shepherd, gardener, and historian."

Posts: 44 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
OK go to the store and purchase one package marked "pemmican". There ya go. Big Grin (You said with store-bought stuff!)

OK, JUST GOOFING WITH YA!

It's lean dried red meat, powdered, with rendered fat, so you can find the basics at many stores. Here are pretty simply recipes for pemmican NOW, beef suet is not the same thing that the birds eat, and it's not any fat from anyplace on the steer. You will have to find a butcher who has packages of fat harvested from around the kidneys and heart. Some places sell it for folks who do DIY salami, and other dried sausages. It is also a main ingredient in an English boiled pudding (but that's a topic for another day). There is no substitute for the stuff, so if a recipe calls for it, do your best to use just that.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I was told it tastes pretty good and keeps a long time if it stays dry. I will study on it!

"...having Providence for their founder and Nature for shepherd, gardener, and historian."

Posts: 44 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I have made it a couple of times. I liked it but others were not so fond of it. Thanks for the recipe link Dave.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Well the stuff is really a winter survival food. Now Arctic expeditions could cache the stuff as long as they weren't out on the icepack, and Antarctic expeditions could cache it anywhere. So I think the cool/cold temps helped to make it taste better if one stored it more than several months. Big Grin

There is a Bedouin food that is fat and meat, and the fat is rather rancid, but it does keep them alive. It is their version of Pemmican. Andrew Zimmer tasted the stuff in an episode of Bizarre Foods, and had to work hard not to blow-chunks.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Swanny
posted Hide Post
Actually, Peter Pond likely discovered the value of Pemmican when he first explored the Athabasca fur-trade region of Canada, in 1783 I think it was. He introduced it to the trade as fuel for canoe motors (aka voyageurs) and it proved invaluable in provisioning the canoe brigades. It also saw widespread use as provisioning for voyaguers traveling overland with dog-drawn toboggans, feeding both the men and their teams.

It was so important that the gentlemen in charge of remote posts tried very hard to provision their men at the forts with other foods in order to reserve the pemmican for use on the rivers or trails.

“A good dog is so much a nobler beast than an indifferent man that one sometimes gladly exchanges the society of one for that of the other.” (William Francis Butler)

Posts: 28 | Location: Two Rivers, Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post